1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Care/Car wax/paint protectant for the new Prius 2016

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ETP, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Was debating on using 2001 as I have in the past or is there a more appropriate product to wax/seal the paint on a periodic basis? Supposedly it came with dealer added paint protectant but I could not tell what was on it.
    Thanks or the help in advance.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had Paint Protection on 2 of my last 3 new cars - both specified that it didn't need waxing. I washed my 4½yr old FORD yesterday (a rare event as it doesn't get dirty easily) and the water was still beading.

Your dealer should tell you what product they used - in both cases, mine came with a sheet of instructions as well as a small container of shampoo.

Incidentally, the car inbetween those 2, didn't get paint protection. I only had it a week and a bird of some sort excreted fruit excrement on the bonnet (hood) and it etched into the top coat of paint - 2 circles about 2" across. The previous car which was parked beside also received the excrement, but had no damage to the paint, even though the paint protection was 3 yrs old at the time.

ETP likes this.
  3. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I have used 2001 sealant for the last 30 years over top the dealer maybe applied paint sealant. Not sure if it helped or hurt. Seems the beading lasts one year on new car for me. Not a scientific statement for sure.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I doubt the dealership "treatment" is any more than a good wax job. I do a wash-and-wax on ours fall and spring, but am actually starting to come around to once a year. Our circumstances are changing: we used to put on about 15,000 kms per year, with a fair amount of street parking during the day. But now, driving the car maybe every second day, around 9,000 kms per year, and the vast majority of the time garage parked, maybe once a year is fine.

I'm using this stuff, kind of pricey, but the bottle lasts a few years:

image.jpeg

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Doug McC, ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used NXT before, it's great! now: liquid carnauba+paint sealant in one;
    Amazon.com: Chemical Guys WAC_111_16 Extreme Depth ...

Soap: Mr. Pink Super Suds Shampoo & Superior Surface Cleaning Soap - Chemical Guys Car Care Detailing

Meguiars' Hot shine tire spray & Meguiars Ultimate black plastic restorer(wipers, etc...)

#5 Sergiospl, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

There seems to be many good products out there. I've always had nice results with Meguiar's. Goes on clear; Very easy on & off. The car shampoo is very good, too. My car is outside all year... so I tend to wax it every other month.

The dealer wanted $1200 for a wax job. :eek:

I've also been using Invisible Glass windshield cleaner spray. Best glass cleaner I've used. No streaks whatsoever. (Now they have a Rain Repellant version. I'm testing it against Rain-X.)

Still searching for door sill protectors! The stick-on, chrome looking ones. I wonder if a Gen3 model would fit?

image.jpg

glennonrp and ETP like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Synthetic ones should last longer. I'm still on my first tin of Mother's carnuba wax (paste, not liquid). I bought it in 2005 and it waxed the 2002 Camry, 2005 Prius and 2010 Prius (and a few of my friends' cars). It's almost done but it lasted over 10 years! It appears CT no longer carries the paste wax (just the cleaner wax which is a two-in-one polish/wax).

Looks like Meguiar's has come out with a new synthetic wax (Ultimate liquid wax or ultimate paste wax)

2016 Prius Accessories - Toyota Canada

A bit pricey (and even more so if that price is only for two front ones)

ETP, Coast Cruiser and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [QUOTE="Tideland Prius, post: 2337610, member: 2851

2016 Prius Accessories - Toyota Canada
    [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Too pricey. (Prius Chat Shop has the Gen3 version for $199.) I hope to find the non-lighted kind. In due time...

9. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Agreed. Too pricey. (Prius Chat Shop has the Gen3 version for $199.) I hope to find the non-lighted kind. In due time...[/QUOTE]
    Need something more along a Walmart buy.:LOL:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OMG yes. We have those illuminated sills on our 2010 Touring, and they are just the two front doors. I think they were standard, at least they were on the car when we purchased, didn't cost extra. Comparing those vs the non-illuminating, it's a completely frivolous item, in my eyes. We did spring for the block heater.

On the same page, take a deep gulp and look at the price of the custom rims.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they came with the Touring and Technology Packages. I like them. For anyone else that's wondering, they are a complete set of 4, however. 2 front illuminated and 2 rear non-illuminated with the PRIUS monogram (and HSD logo that's illuminated for the front sills).

With the one I linked above, it doesn't say if it comes with 2 rear non-illuminated sills.

I had to double check the price of my EBH. The dealer was gonna charge me more because they were using the "Build & Price" number. I said "enter in Alberta as the province to calculate the taxes" and magically, the price of the EBH was cheaper than the "national" price.

Agreed. Too pricey. (Prius Chat Shop has the Gen3 version for $199.) I hope to find the non-lighted kind. In due time...[/QUOTE]

Non illuminating ones tend to be quite a bit cheaper. I have seen Gen 2 ones go for $200+ for a set of 4 non-illuminated stainless steel door sill protectors.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I didn't even realize the non- illuminated sills were not standard, on 3rd gen. They really should be, really a necessity.

We forked over $400 at time of sale for installed block heater, groan. Within a year or two Toyo can website was quoting something around $250. Now it's over $300.

13. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With my large shoes, I'm always clumsily kicking something. Just thought I would try them. The non-illuminated ones are fine. And for the non-mechanically inclined like me, I'm sure I could just stick 'em on. ;)

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well standard is the black plastic protector lol. Most cars that aren't bargain basement would have them.

I like the stainless steel door sills. It adds a personal touch (especially since they say "PRIUS" rather than a generic "TOYOTA"). The odd thing is that Lexus stainless steel door sill protectors (both illuminated and non-illuminated) just say "LEXUS" and no model name. I suppose there's three ways to interpret this:

1. You bought a luxury car so you don't have to specify the model.
    2. It saves on cost because Lexus just has to mould the shape rather than mould the shape AND change the text.
    3. Because there are multiple engine options, they're not gonna stock an IS200t, IS300 and IS350 (for example).

15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Will use the bottle of 2001 I have left and then try the McGuire's.