1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Caught in Hail Storm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kinghuang, Jun 22, 2006.

1. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got caught in a hail storm here yesterday, which left my poor Prius with lots of tiny spots where the paint's been chipped off. :( What should I do about it? Should I get out that touch-up pen and go over all the spots? Is this something I should take to a body shop? I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before and I'm kinda lost. :(

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinghuang @ Jun 22 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]275394[/snapback]</div>
    I would file a claim on my comprehensive insurance and get it repainted professionally.

But that's just me :)

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any pic? Would be interesting to see the roof. I know the hood and hatch are made with Aluminum.

Dennis

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you choose not to go the insurance/repaint route, and touch-up instead: Rather than using the paint brush that comes in the bottle, try a toothpick instead. It seems to hold just the right amount of paint, and put it just where you want.

Prep before painting includes clean and dry. You might first wipe over the affected areas with kerosene, paint thinner, or similar just to make sure it is perfect.

On my 2001 Prius I have 'dotted in' a lot of small chips on the hood, and all those spots have stayed attached.

If you have little dents in addition to chipped paint, the body shop approach might be better.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh oh...sounds like a call to the insurance company and a visit to your favorite panel beating establishment may be in order.

I'm wondering if all of those little spots might make your car vulnerable to rust over time?

On the other hand, depends on how much your deductable is, how long you'll be keeping the car, etc., too...

6. chimohio

chimohio New Member

If you went over it with a different color, you could pretend you were a leopard that changed its spots.

Seriously. insurance company and professional repair would be my take.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinghuang @ Jun 22 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]275394[/snapback]</div>
    Usually what happens to me is the paint stays intact, but I have these nice little sharp dents, sort of like mini door dings, on the upward facing surfaces. I'd suggest calling your insurance company before attacking with the touch up paint.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There was a bad hail storm here some years back. Every car that was outside in the path of the storm had golf ball size dents by the hundreds. One of my cars was right out in it. State Farm was very good, everything fixed as good as new with no questions asked. No increase in insurance rates either.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    reminds me of the hail storm in Columbus OH a few years back... i think just about everyone in the neighborhood got new roofs from their insurance companies due to the damage - and no ones rates went up.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 13 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]332484[/snapback]</div>
    That's just about what happened here. I got new roofs on three buildings and a new hot tub (a tree fell on it). Fortunately most people saw it coming and other than a few cuts and bruises there were no injuries. I had never believed hail stones could get that big until it happened.

11. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow! I can't imagine how so many small dents can be repaired properly. I would guess they have to fill them with a body filler or something. Good luck with it!