1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Coasting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terkar, Jan 7, 2004.

1. terkar

terkar New Member

Is it just me or....

When coasting to a stop it I seem to hear a slight grinding (Not a bad grinding) as though two plates are being rubbed together. Seems to really slow the prius down as opposed to a freewheeling coast. Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be the Planatary Gears?

My old 94 Explorer coasts much easier i.e. doesn't seem to slow down like the prius.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It could be the process of turning that energy into energy to charge the battery back up.

John or someone else more technical know?

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    1 word: Regeneration

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rick with his fancy terminology! :lol:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is, indeed, regeneration. You can begin to predict how much braking will be done by the regeneration with time and find that you can slow to a near stop without touching the brake at all.

I have also found that by VERY lightly depressing the accelerator that you can disengage regeneration while still not draining power from the battery to drive the wheels or turning on the ICE. This essentially allows you to free-wheel. I tend to do that on uphill areas where I need to coast to a stop. My options in those cases are to use power to climb or brake hard when I get to the top if I don't free-wheel coast. You don't regen anything, but you don't lose anything either. This takes practice and it really helps to watch the energy screen to help you learn when you've 'hit the sweet spot' b/w regen and powering the wheels.

6. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    That regenerator sound is one of the sweetest sounds the Prius makes!! I have wondered why there are no regen units on the back axle/brakes. If we're out to capture wasted energy, why not go for all of it?? Maybe someone knows why Toyota did not opt for this.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jerry,
    If the car is stopped by regeneration be it by 1 wheel, 2, or 4 all of the available kinetic energy IS recaptured. It would increase the complexity without increasing regeneration. You don't need all 4 wheels to do it. The key is that the friction brakes mustn't engage, and, if I understand it correctly, the friction brakes don't kick in until needed.

8. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

By friction brake, I assume you mean the applied disc / drum brakes. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Doesn't the Prius regeneration system attempt to capitalize from the slowing of the vehicle. If you were on the flat, or going uphill, it shouldn't seek to regenerate unless you signify you are intending to slow down (i.e., apply the brakes). Even then, it should assist the brakes without taking a leading role. For instance, the harder you brake the more of the sloughed off kinetic energy it will attempt to capture. This in turn should help your braking action by applying an assist.

Now, when you are rolling downhill, I can see the system engaging progressively to check any increase in speed, which is a nice safety bonus, assuming you aren't already going too fast! Other than that, application of regeneration when you are "freewheeling" appears counterintuitive to a hybrid / high mileage design.

And besides, how dare it intrude upon my fun! :guns:

It is logical to recapture the energy using the front drive wheels since, 1.) they are already hooked to the generator / motor; 2.) there is more weight on these wheels coupled with the weight shift that occurs under braking; and, 3.) the rear wheels would be very likely to lock under harder braking or poor surface traction (you'd be into ABS A LOT).[/b]

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ummm, I think you're wrong. The regen braking kicks in any time the accelerator is released completely, and it's not an intelligent regen--that is, it's the same amount if your on the flat, down hill, or up hill. I could be wrong, but that's my take and experience.
    --evan

10. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

That is disappointing. I speak from no direct experience, of course, but I do believe that would be a better setup. Freewheeling is the ultimate fuel conservation. Granted, if the battery is in need of charging than regen should kick in. And before someone says, "It always needs recharging!", I think it could be as you say, more "intelligent".

11. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks Evan. I didn't think about the fact that using any number of regen units, without the friction brakes, would capture all the energy, but it does make sense. I don't know if the regen braking is progressive or not, but I know that DC eddy-current braking, which I think is very similar to the regens on the Prius, is progressive, since the current produced is proportional to the rpms of the rotor. I think that John1701a has written that a long 'glide' to a stop is the best way to maximize the amount of regeneration. Ideally, friction brakes should not be engaged until the very last possible point in a stop.
    On my way to and from work there is a steep creek valley that I traverse. I have found that by accelerating before the bottom of the valley, I can actually engage the regens for a time before reaching the top, which has a stop sign. If I try to accelerate while climbing the hill only, they never engage. I guess it might be a slingshot effect, adding the momentum of going down hill to the push of the ICE to get up the other side. This might be one of those things that hybrid drivers learn as they go. We are all in a class on Energy Management!

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Allow me to add to this.

1. Everyone is correct in that the same amount of regen is possible in the Prius whether it be 1, 2 or 4 wheels or motors doing the job. The limiting factors are the max current which the battery can safely accept without reducing it's useful life, and to a lesser degree, the capacity of MG2 to gegen. One additional factor could be wheel lockup, but that could only occur at very low speeds given the current generated in our setup.

2. Regen *is* variable. Allow me to expand:

"Foot off" regen is more or less constant. This is present since the DOT says it's illegal for any car to be allowed to freewheel - some sort of "braking" must occur when the foot is off, whether it be engine or regenerative.
    B mode "regen" is also fairly constant to a threshold, before the rest of the energy is directed to MG1 to spin the ICE. At lower speeds, this threshold isn't met, and all power is sent to the HV battery.
    Braking regen *is* variable. Depending on pedal pressure, more or less regeneration will be used. Light pressure might be only regen, where as heavier or more sudden pressue, or pressure at higher speeds will cause the friction brakes to apply as well. Again, the limiting factor is the max current that is allowed to the battery. If more stopping force is required, friction must be used. The difference between Prius version 1.x and 2.0 ('04) is the amount of regen used during braking, the '04 using significantly more.

Note - when braking, I've heard, but can't confirm that the rear drums are applied to some degree regardless of front disk status. This could be bad info though.

Only adding additional batteries to increase current input capacity could allow for more regeneration w/ less use of the friction brakes.

Hope this helps,
    -Rick

13. terkar

terkar New Member

Thanks to all for the info. Guess Regeneration is the answer. Now, I wonder how much the regeneration really helps the battery? It seems that the ICE still comes on a lot esp. when engine is cold and I never see any change in the amount of blue bars showing on the battery charge even if a long downhill with brake applied.
    I suspect that regeneration accounts for very little batter recharge and that it is mostly the ICE. ???

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On the contrary, I can come down a hill in my city each morning and through stop and go down hill, I'll have the battery top green.

It's significant enough to make it worth while.

The best way to take advantage of regen is to come to slow, controlled, gradual stops. Quick braking kicks in friction brakes, and doesn't allow regen to kick in to recoup the energy for later use.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

15. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

Rick,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I had overlooked that DOT requirement. Hopefully, as cars become "smarter", a tightly controlled amount of freewheeling will be allowed. This will probably incorporate the "maintain safe distance" systems found in high end cars.

With all this regen during braking, what is the longevity of the brake pads / shoes? I imagine the rear shoes have a calm life, but what is the life expectancy on the front pads expected to be - somewhat extended, or more?

In reviews, I've read that the brakes stopped a little long (e.g., 60 to 0 in 142 feet, IIRC). Do you believe this is caused by: relatively poor traction tires; "lost time" due to the regen processing; or, a less than ideal braking system (e.g., pad / shoe material, brake swept area)?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Rick, I should have been more clear....certainly regen is variable when braking, dramatically so in my experience.

The discussion title, and thus my comments, were about coasting and I was assuming everyone understood that it was foot off brake coasting.

Let me put this to you though, you said "regen is more or less constant" So, is it constant or not...is there some variability based on whether you're going uphill, down or flat, or other variables?

17. ammiels

ammiels New Member

If you would like to coast like in your old explorer put it in N while you are coasting and it will coast freely. But you are losing some element of control and the odd watts. The Prius was designed to mimic a "normal" car with auto tranny in that there is some drag while coasting and some creep when stopped.
    Peace, Ammiel

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard on the classic some pretty extended mileage figures where the driver was still on the original pads in front. I want to say 75-100k miles, but don't quote me on that. The classic Prius archives would have the info if you're willing to search.

Other tests have shown as little as 125 ft., so unless the exact same conditions and methods were used for each test, they're somewhat subjective. Some may get an average, others may take the lowest of a run of 5 stops, and others still may include brake fade in the average which could increase the average stopping distance. Either way, my first suggestion would be that the narrow tires for the weight of the car are the culprit. Some would go as far as suggesting that drums vs. discs in the rear contribute as well, but I'm not personally inclined to agree as the braking load back there isn't substantial as in practice, about 70% of braking occurs up front (and 30% or more of that is handled by regen at max braking). Now if 142 ft. was done after 10 runs to test fade, then the drums could be a limiting factor.

Either way, bigger discs, pads, or swept area has little use if the traction available can easily be exceeded by braking force. It may help with fade, but that's about it.

My thoughts,
    -Rick

19. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

Thanks Rick. I have no problem with a drum brake rear, and you basically confirmed my suspicion that the tires are the culprit. I'm looking forward to expanding the tire width while lowering the profile, say a 20 mm maximum gain (0.79 inch) using a 205/55 15. Of course, the rim width and the wheelwell clearances would have to allow it. This example would produce about 98.5% of the OEM rolling circumference, which I figure would result in a potential loss (with increased rolling resistance) of 4 to 5 mpg (unless a lower rolling resistance version could be had). Probably, the better compromise would be a 195/60 15.

Just future thoughts, since I understand the tires are toast after 30K miles. Manufacturers will logically mount tires that support their chief marketing standpoint (cornering and braking? high speed? high mileage?). However, this isn't always the best setup for the "real world". I'll look forward to hearing what tire changes people find helpfulsince they are going to be SEVERAL MONTHS ahead on their odometers. :cussing:

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, in the Prius case, they focus on LRR as well, and because of our continued gripes about classic tire longevity, these may last a bit longer. I'm curious to see too.

In the end, I'd love to have the Euro 16's to see how it affects performance.