1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Common Maintenance How-To's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenSpeed, Dec 16, 2009.

1. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All,
    I've been off and on this site since 2006. My Prius has about 125,000 miles and i'm wondering what maintenance items can I do for it. Since the purchase of the Prius I've subsequently gotten more inclined with cars and pursued working on them as a hobby.

Unlike my other car (Mitsubishi Evolution) I can't seem to find any 'how-tos' on basic maintenance items (i.e. transmission fluids, timing belts, etc).

Does anyone have links to stuff like this that the basic mechanic can try to wrench on? Or even a link to a service manual would be great. Your help is much appreciated!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    techinfo.toyota.com for a subscription website that provides official Toyota repair docs.

If you search this forum you will find several how-tos posted by me and other regulars.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius uses a timing chain, no belt to routinely replace

Patrick mentioned the official Toyota data. All Data DIY has similar information

Transmission fluid is a simple drain and refill. There is no filter, no torque converter, valve body, etc

There is a sticky in the Care and Maintenance forum regarding routine care

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I watched USBwolf's video. Seems pretty straight forward :(. Nothing i can do then cept rotate the tires... ? I'm also wondering about cleaning the throttle body.