1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Computer OS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LarryRacies, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

Does anyone know what operating system the Prius computer runs on?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would guess its a custom OS designed by Toyota. I know its not windows because my car hasn't crashed. :) I was thinking about getting a Ctrl+Alt+Delete key off of an old keyboard and stick it on my dash with a sticker saying "In case of crash press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" :lol: I was also thinking about making a bumper sticker saying the same thing. :lol:

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I doubt they wrote their own OS. It's probably some real-time OS like Wind River. There are many ROMmable operating environments sold and used for dedicated applications like this.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Quoted from cnet.com.

Virus testing on a...car?
    Mikko Hypponen, director of antivirus research at F-Secure, recently obtained a 2005 Prius from Toyota. Toyota (which also owns Lexus) said the Bluetooth used in the Prius was similar to the system found in the Lexus. Toyota cars use a proprietary operating system, not Symbian. So, outside of Helskini, Finland, in a bunker deep within the earth to eliminate ambient Bluetooth broadcasts, Hyponnen and a crew from his F-Secure labs tested the loaned 2005 Toyota Prius against various Bluetooth-enabled attacks.

I encourage you to read Hypponen's full article (with photos), but I'll summarize the conclusions. Despite re-creating hazardous circumstances, in which someone walks into a Bluetooth-enabled Prius with a Cabir-infected cell phone, the team at F-Secure was unable to infect the Prius. And when the researchers attempted to send the infected SIS file to the car, the Prius responded with a "transfer failed" message. In fact, they were unable to successfully perpetrate any known Bluetooth attack.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota is a Japanese company. iTron would be the obvious guess.

Toyota already has stated they use iTron in some of their vehicles, so it would surprise me to hear that they've got multiple copies running inside a Prius.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 30 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]232605[/snapback]</div>
    Oh Geez. So Apple's making really cheesey movies now?

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 30 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]232772[/snapback]</div>
    No they are just letting you to see them on your iPod! :lol: