1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jburns, May 6, 2006.

1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anybody else a bit surprised at how well the Prius holds its speed when in cruise control? Whatever speed I set it it is like a rock uphill and down. All my other cars would drop a mile an hour or two as they started up a decent hill or gain a bit starting down. Not the Prius. Set it at 63 and 63 is what you get. Small thing but nice.

Edit: Oops, thought I was in the main forum.

2. eanda9000

eanda9000 New Member

I concur. the downshifts are less obtrusive then in most other cars. Also, the response times seem faster. since the car is completely computer controled and drive by wire, i suppose that allows for a much more responsive system. since the speedo is digital you know exactlly what your speed is. I get +-1 mph at most and once it is set, it almost never shifts from the set speed. the result is the car ride is extremely smooth without speed up and slow down even over freeway overpasses. the sales people should point this out, but mine was so ignorant to the prius that ....

i would change two things. first, you can only bump up or down the speed 4 miles per hour in either direction at any one time. My honda lets you do much more. Ex. want to get 10 mph faster, hit the cruise control up 10 times. The honda cruise control is excellent, but not nearly has tight as the prius which is above and beyond expectations.
    second, when the car is turned off the state of cruise control being on or off is reset to off, minor, but if you use it all the time then it can be a pain.

3. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eanda9000 @ May 6 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]250688[/snapback]</div>
    hmmmmm Mine seems to bump up or down one MPH each time I flick the stalk.

4. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 7 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]250982[/snapback]</div>
    I think he meant that if you lift and hold the stalk in the "increase speed" position, it will only increase 4 mph. You then have to release and lift and hold again if you want 4 more mph. Or, as you mention, you can "bump" once for each mph increase, with no limit - other than safety, traffic, highway patrol, maximum capability of the car, etc.

5. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 7 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]251069[/snapback]</div>
    Among many incongruities in the Prius, in Canada our speedometers are metric and our speed limits are metric, but the cruise control bumps up and down by 1.6 kilometer increments (1.6km = 1 mile). So I can't get exactly the speed I want because the cruise control thinks it's in the U.S.