1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius cut out whilst cruising, lost drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by svllee, May 23, 2011.

1. svllee

svllee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 Prius Gen 2 (80,000 miles) had a malfunction whilst cruising at 70mph on the motorway, all of a sudden the warning triangle came on, along with the VSC, engine management and brake symbols. A dialogue box then appeared saying 'Problem'. My wife was driving at the time, and she pulled up on the hard shoulder. I then tried shutting the car off and restarting, but cannot get into drive at times. Sometimes, D came on, and the car only jerked slightly forward but flooring the accelerator produced no progress.

We had to call the recovery service to be towed back to the Toyota garage this morning for investigations. The technician plugged in a computer whilst attending, and he confirmed a fault with the inverter system. The thing is I had the inverter pump changed as part of the customer 'recall' a few months ago.

Will update soonest.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What was the fault code? P0A93? Also have the 12V battery checked (can replace with Optima YTS 2.7J)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter has the same year and mileage, all the best!

4. svllee

svllee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The battery is brand new, changed about 3 months ago. It's not the battery I don't think. I can't remember what the codes were as I wasn't looking out for them when the RAC person hooked it up.

Today, I got a call from the Toyota dealer where the car is now, and apparently, they discovered 9 error codes, but they need more time to find the cause! They also want to charge me an extra 4 hours for them to diagnose the fault! Is this normal? I have sent Toyota GB an email query about this.

I'm slightly peeved off for now.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would help us a LOT of you could please post what the codes are, before paying any more money.

6. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had that happen when you hit the "P" button while driving. But it should reset with a power off.

It also happened to me RIGHT after a software update at the dealer, to eliminate any possible "throttle malfunctions". My dealer towed it 3 miles back, reprogrammed and didn't charge me a dime. (Thank you Tracy Toyota).

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can you point us to more details on this "software update", specifically what it said on your receipt? I'm unaware of any for my 06 which was bought new.

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is normal when the technicians have no idea what is going on. You need to press them for all of those 9 error codes. No need for them to explain each one -- we can translate.

Now, here's what could have happened: The prior inverter cooling pump service was done incorrectly. This may not show up as a problem until a long drive in hot weather. Once that code sets, the car will still drive, but there will be no air conditioning, and the computers and power steering run entirely off the small 12V battery. It is typically a matter of minutes before the high current drain makes the 12V voltage sag underneath 10V or so. At that point, sensor signals begin to fail, because they fall below required operating voltage, and codes get set. Very shortly thereafter, the car will cut power completely.

IF this is what happened to you, normal procedure is to (1) recharge the 12V battery overnight (2) reset all codes (3) recalibrate any lost zero point calibrations (4) fix problem in inverter cooling system. If you can prove that it was a problem with the inverter cooling system, then you should not have to pay for any of this, assuming that it is at the garage that did the prior work for you.

1 person likes this.
  9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's very easy to not get all of the air out of the system. My dealer had to do it twice. If you're lucky it will be that simple.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes it seems that we've seen quite a few cases like that reported here now, where there's a problem fairly soon after the pump recall has been performed.

Does anyone know how "failsafe" (or otherwise) is the inverter thermal protection? It seems that in some cases it protects itself ok but in others there is real damage done when this happens.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Virtually every story is, Christmas tree -> no A/C -> more lights -> shutdown -> tow -> fix. I'm not aware of others where there was real damage done? Since Ohmic heating is quadratic in current, just scaling back by half cuts the heat load by 3/4.

12. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious if a simple turbulence check in the inverter coolant tank would show the problem before it goes into failure mode. In other words, does having air bubbles in the system stop flow completely?

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep I've been wondering exactly the same thing. It would be nice if there was a simple way to test if it was done properly.

14. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, if you have the proper fluid level, and you see turbulence in the tank, then it is working. If the fluid is placid, then the car will code P0A93 when the inverter temperature gets hot enough. It is really that simple.

15. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Potentially basic question from mechanically green Mike: Does that mean that if there are air bubbles, you'll never see turbulence in the coolant from the moment the work was done, or rather that you would at first, but when the air bubbles work their way to a certain part of the system, *then* the turbulence would stop?

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It would be an air bubble at the inverter pump impeller. That would happen within the first minute or so of operation. That's one reason why applying partial vacuum at the reservoir cap, or perhaps the bleeder screw, would force the air bubble to come out.

17. svllee

svllee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just an update from my garage. After 3 days of 'investigations' they think the fault is the gearbox. They are seeking Toyota GB's feedback about what to do. I would presume its part of the Hybrid Synergy Drive warranty which is 8 years/100,000 miles.

18. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope they do warranty it, since over here it is usually part of the powertrain warranty (5 years, 60,000 miles). But the gearbox explanation smells fishy.

Did they give you the trouble codes?

19. svllee

svllee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope it is covered. It's a 7+ year old car and any new gear box would not make it economical to replace without a warranty claim. I will make sure I ask them for the codes when I collect my courtesy vehicle from them on Tues.

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This diagnosis seems reasonable given what you have posted. In the US the transaxle is covered by the 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty. I doubt that the UK warranty coverage is more favorable.

If it is confirmed that the transaxle is the problem, you might inquire into the availability of a salvage unit that your dealer could install. Hopefully a good used unit is lying around and available at a reasonable price, waiting for your dealer's call. Good luck.