1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Cycling Team

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by randreed, May 22, 2007.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I mentioned before, there seems to be a lot of cycling interest in this area. This post is to find out if we really have enough people interested to form a PRIUS CYCLING TEAM.

If you are interested - REALLY interested - then please post here.

There is a fund-raising event for MS this fall, that includes an overnight Hotel stay. Non-riders could meet rider in the Hotel parking lot OR at the bar in the evening!

Again - If you are interested - REALLY interested - then please post here.

Thanks,
    Rand

Attached Files:

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Rand!
    Sorry but I am just a casual biker.... plus my allergies are just too bad to even think about riding sometimes.
    Will be happy to join in if there is a fun ride or show up and cheer on the serious riders!
    Barb

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad idea, but I'd be pretty tired by the time I got to New Jersey. California's much closer, if there were any interest there, but even that took a couple of weeks (OK, three) the last time... :)

4. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problem just cheering us on - a large showing of Prius people at ANY of these events will have a positive impact.

As for a CA Cycling team - why not a US-wide Cycling team? We could save big $$$ on a common Jersey design and do multiple events all over the country.

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would think TOYOTA would want to sponsor a team!!!

6. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm in, currently raining like a hammster. Work and travel may interfere with some events or facilitate others.

ummm, that's training - it's actually sunny here.

7. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ May 22 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]447611[/snapback]</div>

Count me in.

:)

-D

8. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I definitely would like to be in. If we can get people from all around the Tri-state area we really could find some interesting runs to do all over the area. There are some great rides out here in Lancaster County for anyone who would like to make the trip.
    I just started seriously biking last year and have been hooked ever since.

9. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - Just created the Priuschat Cycling Team

Please check it out - hope you can join us (Virtual riders are welcome too!)

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/goto/priuschat

Also - we are ordering custom "Priuschat" cycling jerseys (design is still a work in progress) - would you be interested in buying one?

10. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - we have 3 riders so far for an event in Northern NJ in September (see link below).

We've already had one training ride and need to have another, so I'll post that soon under another thread.

We would like to hear from riders in other areas:
    • Are you interested in a bulk Priuschat Cycling Jersey Purchase?
    • Are you interested in participating in Priuschat Cycling Events in your area?
    • Would you like to be a Priuschat Cycling Team Captain?

11. n24005

n24005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

My wife Sue and I live in West Milford and ride. We are on the "Road Scrappers" team for the MS 100 ride.

We'd be up for some rides and a jersey!

We live close to Clinton Road/Warwick Turnpike - We could start a Clinton Road ride from here...

Cheers!
    Jeff
    2008 Silver Pine Mica

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius Cycling Team jerseys are a great idea (long sleeve, 3 rear pockets). A creative designer can make use of the jersey body and sleeves to approximate a Prius shape (especially when a rider has their hands on the handlebars).

A friend gave me a one-of-a-kind T-shirt that says "Proud To Drive My Prius".

13. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would be interested in joining. And ordering a jersey. Might make it down once or twice a year for a ride in Northern NJ.

14. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Rand,
    I would be interested (I know this thread is dated)
    I currently have only a mountain bike but I have had my eye on a Lemond Cycle for quite a bit. But I am always down to bring my mountain bike for the time being.

15. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If my knee wasn't in such bad shape, I'd give it a shot.
    Still have my old Raleigh "Grand Prix" Touring 10 speed in the garage. I would like to know about the availability of a Jersey or T-shirt with "Prius Team" on it.

16. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yikes! :eek: I bought a Raleigh G.P. in college in 1970! We were inseparable until a thief with cable-cutters separated us 10 months later! I thought by now they'd all have been to the crusher!

17. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The one thing that I will miss about driving a SUV is the bike rack I could put on the back to carry 2 mountain bikes.

I have read about the hitch that can be bolted on the back just for my Thule carrier and saw a couple of hatch mounted carriers on-line.

I am looking for something that does not have to be mounted to the outside all the time, something easily removable.

My question is this.....What do you use to carry your cycle(s) on the outside of your Prius? What advise would you share?

Thanks for the info.

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After some research, I got the Curt hitch (Curt Class I Trailer Hitch Receiver with Drawbar 11468 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com) from etrailer.com. Several people have complained about the Coastal hitch, so I went with the Curt and I'm very happy with it. The installation was a snap, and you can barely notice the hitch.

I carry my bikes with a receiver hitch mounted bike rack. My rack has about a 3-4 inch rise, so ground clearance is generally not an issue. My fuel economy hasn't taken a hit either.

Good luck!

... Brad

19. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the information and link.

I appreciate the tip.

20. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, if this bike is "old school", I have a Raleigh 3 speed, all black with the long fenders, and chain guard.
    Don't recall the model name. It's in great condition, and is an exact copy of the one I use to have as a paper boy in the early 70's! I really liked that bike, so when this one came along at the right price (free) I picked it up.
    Took it all apart, wheel hubs, crank, everything, replaced what needed replacing, did the adjustments to the Stermy Archer thumb selector and she's like brandy new. Still has the original tires on it, although one tube had to be replaced. Thing that has bothered me some, is the seat is not in the best of conditions, it's vinyl so it's take some abuse over the years. I check eBay now and then for a proper replacement, one day I'll find it.
    No, crusher for any of my bikes! I stil pick up bikes that are being thrown out, repair those I can, then donate them to kids programs in our area. I worked in a bike store as a kid, learned a lot and now repair bikes as a hobby. About the only thing I don't do any more is re-spoke wheels, I just don't have the time for it.