1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Dash Display - Polarized Output

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by baumgrenze, May 15, 2007.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

I'm a bit tardy in making this observation. In a few days we will have owned our 2004 for 3 years!

Each time I'd clipped on polarized sunglasses I've been troubled by how much the dash display dimmed. Yesterday I took a moment and rotated my clip-ons in front of the display. Sure enough, when they were oriented at right angles to their normal angle of use the display brightened considerably.

Here's a physics 101 refresher course. Reflected light is partially plane polarized. When a properly oriented polarized filter is interposed between the reflected light and your eyes, much of the reflected glare is eliminated. (Say thanks to Edwin Land who promoted the concept of what became Polaroid sunglasses.)

Clearly the output of the dashboard elements in the Prius (and who knows how many other vehicles with similar dash displays) is plane polarized in the same plane as reflected light. Perhaps someone with expertise in vacuum fluorescent displays can comment on whether or not this problem can be overcome. I learned about the technology of the display at:

http://www.techonline.com/product/underthehood/199101742

baumgrenze

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 15 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]442794[/snapback]</div>
    Yep! and so are all LCD displays. You can observe the same effect if your gas station pump has a LCD display, or your laptop, or your flat LCD monitor, or your LCD TV, or ...

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    try taking a pic of a large display (eg a 65" tv like mine) you get only half a picture if taking the pic within 6 feet or so.

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 15 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]442846[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about the standard "tube" TVs? Cause I'm pretty sure we all know about that one. If you are talking about an LCD panel, then I'm curious cause I've never seen that.

5. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Walt,

When I grabbed the nearest LCD display I could find, an Oregon Scientific wireless remote thermometer, I found that the orientation of maximum dimming was a quarter turn CCW from vertical and, logically the minimum was a quarter turn CW. So, it is possible to orient LCDs so that their plane of polarization is not that of reflected light.

Do take a minute and look at the link I provided. The display is not LCD but something else. The author lists a series of "teardown" reports for the Prius at the end of the article.

Thanks for replying.

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 15 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]442835[/snapback]</div>

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ May 15 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]443040[/snapback]</div>
    nope not tube or LCD, its DLP....and cant tell you if i can take a pic farther away and have it be ok because i cant get farther away in my current living arrangement, but have tried to take screen shots several times by snapping a digital shot and it goes from bright to multi-color bands down to darkness and have tried several angles

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 17 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]444172[/snapback]</div>
    So, is this a polarization thing, too, since the DLP uses the mirror arrays?

8. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 17 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]444178[/snapback]</div>
    Not unless he's using a polarizing filter on his camera.

More likely he's using a shutter speed that is faster than the refresh rate of the screen. Different brnads of DLP screens use different methods of splitting/blending colors and brightness, so without knowing what brand/model, I can't tell you what sort of refresh you are dealing with.

Use a tripod, slow your shutter speed down to 1/4 second or so, and adjust the aperature accordingly and you'll probably find that the image looks ok no matter what brand/model it is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 16 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]443084[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure I've seen other LCDs polarization orientations. Technically it certainly should be possible. However, 45 deg. off verticle is the most common I've seen, and seems to be a standard.

I haven't checked the link you included yet, but if the light from the dash display isn't polarized to start with, then it is probably the reflection off the angled mirror that is polarizing it. No good way to prevent this. Fortunately there is enough unpolarized light after the reflection that the display is still visible (though significantly dimmed).

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 17 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]444172[/snapback]</div>
    DLP displays in home TVs project an entire screen at a time, but the information going to the screen is time multiplexed. Colors are displayed in separate frames, as many as six passes per screen with some brands. Also, if you are using an interlaced signal (such as 1080i) instead of a progressive (1080p), the screen is updated in two passes. Taking a picture with a fast shutter setting will capture part of the screen update. A slow shutter setting will work like human eyes.

Tom

10. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a non-techie observation- do not use the Blue blocker sunglasses- when hubby buys new ones(clip ons) he gets the lightest polarized ones so he can see the dash. Blue blockers did not work- you could not see the dash.

11. walt

walt New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ May 17 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]444199[/snapback]</div>
    for your continued viewing pleasure, attached are a few photos showing polarization effects

[attachmentid=8160]
    filter adjusted to show light transmission - lcd computer monitor

[attachmentid=8161]
    filter adjusted for reduced light transmission - lcd computer monitor

[attachmentid=8162]
    filter adjusted to show light transmission - prius mfd

[attachmentid=8163]
    filter adjusted to show reduced light transmission - prius mfd

[attachmentid=8164]
    filter adjusted to show light transmission - prius mfd

[attachmentid=8165]
    filter adjusted to show reduced light transmission - prius mfd

Attached Files:

12. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Walt,

In post #8, Danny Hamilton points out that most LCD displays have a plane of polarization that is tilted 45 degrees relative to the vertical/horizontal.

When I went out and checked my Multifunction Display I found it similar to the display for my LCD display remote thermometer. The plane of polarization is tilted 45 degrees relative to the vertical/horizontal. The same is true for my wife's laptop computer monitor screen. Did you observe this when you took your pictures?

The 'techonline' article I cited in my first post does tell us:

"To further improve visibility the driver actually sees a double-reflected image of the VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) rather than a direct view of the panel. Two mirrors on the underside of the dash direct the output of the VFD to the optical path of the driver, keeping stray light off of the VFD module itself and improving perceived viewing quality."

My guess is that Danny Hamilton is right in suggesting that the engineering decision to reflect the image may have also induced the polarization.

I did point this out to Toyota and to the NHSB. I will let everyone know if I get a reply.

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 19 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]445730[/snapback]</div>

13. walt

walt New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 19 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]445829[/snapback]</div>
    treeline,
    Going back to the article at your hyperlink, the David Carey says "While much of the Toyota Prius's status information and vehicle control functions comes by way of the central touch-screen panel, critical information is delivered from a dedicated display system visible directly behind the steering wheel. The dash module (DM) provides most of the output-only information such as speed, fuel-level, selected gear, and odometer/mileage by way of a digital readout and icon-based vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) panel."

Please note that the author is talking about the DM being lit by a VFD - and that the DM is visible "directly behind the steering wheel". Absolutely, the odometer is bounced thru (or across, or over, or whatever) mirrors before it shows up behind the steering wheel. I agree 100% with David Carey, the author of the article at the link you posted, that the odometer is VFD. No question, no argument.

14. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I noticed the same thing the other day when I was driving wearing my polarized Revos. Normally, I only wear my polarized sunglasses on the boat, but have been wearing them to drive lately while my Oakleys were in for a warranty repair issue.

I find polarized sunglasses great for driving, as they have many benefits, especially in removing glare which many drivers find distracting and annoying. However, the trade-off is having trouble looking at some of the displays inside the car, especially if you are just glancing at the displays out of the corner of your eyes. I notice that you almost need to physically turn you head to overcome the effects of the polarization. This makes sense because as has been pointed out, the degree of polarization has to do with the angle of the light.

So, it is really a personal choice of whether the benefits of removing glare outweigh the nuisance you encounter with the LCD display in the car.

15. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 15 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]442794[/snapback]</div>
    Does it make a difference that the light for the dash is reflected light as opposed to the MFD?

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faith2walk @ May 21 2007, 08:32 AM) [snapback]446564[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Reflection tends to induce polarization transverse to the viewing direction.

Tom

17. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The conclusion I drew from this years ago was the advantages of polarized glasses are minimal compared to the disadvantages of trying to read LCD screens in today's technology. I got tired of tilting my head to read the MFD or holding my cell phone just right.

My sunglasses now are no longer polarized.

18. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Newts,

Take a look in a trout stream or a clear lake filled with fish and compare unpolarized vs. polarized sunglasses. The difference is not minimal, it is real and perceivable.

BTW, if Edwin Land had prevailed back in the late 40's or early 50's we would all be enjoying the benefits of this technology. He wanted to polarize exterior mirrors and car windows in one plane and head lamps at right angles so that oncoming and following headlights would be 'automatically' dimmed by polarization canceling. The industry balked, citing the cost and the time it would take for old cars to be retired from the road.

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newts @ May 21 2007, 06:32 AM) [snapback]446599[/snapback]</div>