1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius dashboard climate/CD control lights stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xunkn0vvnx, Jan 21, 2010.

1. xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For some strange reason, I just noticed the dashboard lights "Climate/Audio/ Seek/Track/ AM/ FM/ Disc" do not work. When I play with the dashboard accessory light and dim the lights, it will briefly trigger the accessory lights to work, but then flicker between on and off. When the accessory lights are turned to their brightest setting, the accessory lights no longer work. Any help?

[​IMG]

2. Porky Pine

Porky Pine New Member

Take it to the dealer? At first, I was going to suggest maybe a blown fuse but it sounds more serious than that.

3. xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hmmm.. so I'm assuming this isn't a common problem amongst Prius models? It's not a big issue, all cosmetic and I would rather not spend the arm and leg they charge for electrical labor.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would've guessed fuse too. Check the manual for the location of the fuse (and see if anything associated with that fuse is also not working).

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that you are referring to the variable resistor on the dashboard, to the left of the steering column, that can be rotated to change dashboard illumination.

If the lights work at least some of the time, then there's nothing wrong with any associated fuse.

Since the lights flicker, that is an indication that the variable resistor needs to be replaced.

1 person likes this.
  6. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick,
    How to remove & replace this variable resistor without removing the dashboard? I have similar problem with my 2004 Prius. Thanks

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to remove the ventilation duct located at the far left, by pulling it out horizontally. Then you can remove one or two screws that secure the plastic dashboard panel that the light control lives in, and then you'll have access to the control.

1 person likes this.
  8. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You !!