1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius design dates back to the 80s!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smackoww, Sep 27, 2004.

1. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

is it just me, or does the prius look like those little flying saucers from "Batteries not Included"?! (when you look at it from the front)
    probably not many of you have actually seen the movie, so oh well..

i must be going nuts

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the flying saucers in Batteries Not Included (1987) looked like. And a Google image search didn't dig up anything.

...though it did find a lot of ads for vibrators... :roll:

3. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"41955)</div>
    Jeff, start your search with the word MOVIE... you won't get the other stuff :lol:

Bob

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"41955)</div>
    Haha, see the one for "Movie Companion"? :lol:

5. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ooooh, I loved Batteries Not Included!!! Those little UFO's were so cute! I want one.... :mrgreen:

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pictures dudes Pictures !! Those with great skills need to step in. Pleeeease?

7. peart75

peart75 New Member

8. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Eeeeeeeeeeee, lookit the cute UFO's!!! *hugs* Awww, they are so adorable! Remember the baby UFO's they made in the junk shack? I wonder if they've put it on DVD yet.....

9. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Peart75 for the pics, BTW!

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yeah, those are the poster pictures I found... can't say that they reminded me of a Prius. (Now, an AMC Pacer... :D)

11. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL! My neighbor has TWO Pacers... one silver and one orange-red.

I actually think the New Beettle looks a lot like the Batteries Not Included UFOs.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

There ya go -- that's the car that matches up for me.

13. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

well, the prius looks like it belongs there when you see the prius from a certain angle. i cant explain it :)

14. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Here's a scary observation...

I like the Prius design, even though it is certainly "different." On the other hand, I (well I and most everyone on earth) hates the design of the Pontiac Aztek. The Aztek is a very NICE vehicle too, as long as you are on the inside. If I owned one, I'd need to put a bag over my head just to walk up and get in it.

Regardless...

The other day an Aztek had parked next to my Prius while I was shopping. BOY... those two vehicle are similiar! The Prius is much smaller and cuter, but the Aztek has the same basic shape.

Fortunately, none of the Aztek "ugly" wiped off on my Pri.

=paul=

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL Priusham!

Actually, I too have noticed the similarity between the Aztek and Prius body designs. And I have to admit, I don't think the Aztek is ugly at all. I like it. Reminds me of a Prius SUV. Sort of.

16. skew

skew Junior Member

I own both a aztek and a 04' prius. I'll have to snap a pic of both side by side . They look almost identical except the aztek has alittle more girth on the out side. Amazingly the Prius has more room on the inside for the front and back seat but not as much cargo. Whats really scarry park your prius next to a new beatle and look at the body line they are twins!!!!

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Prius and New Beetle? Really? Wow, I never noticed any similarities there. Now I'm gonna have to look! Oh yes, please do post a pic of your Aztek and Prius side-by-side. Be interesting to see.

18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Skew, I think we need to wipe your glasses ;-) I will admit that they both have a rear roof mounted radio antenna :) Interesting that the VW site has a cd of .27 for the Beetle. Given the very wedged shape of the Prius at .26 , I would have guessed the Beetle was higher than it is.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    .27 for a beatle? yep its possible and the angle of the windshield is why.

the reason the Prius has a low Cd is because it has only one deflection point. that is at the bumper. from the front of the hood to the top of the windshield is a straight line. therefore one deflection point for the air going over the vehicle. the NEW beatles also have this feature though to a lesser degree.

other cars have two deflection points. at the front bumper and again at the base of the windshield. that means air is hitting the car headon twice... on the Prius air hits the car headon only once. air that is deflected from the front bumper goes up over the hood and continues on unimpeded over the windshield. at the same time this air that is running parallel to the windshield also moves the standing air that would normally be in the cars way as it moves forward.

a regular car also deflects air over the front bumper. but the air then hits the change in the angle caused by the windshield. the moving air loses its momentum from being deflected, turbulance is created and air swirls instead of streamlining over the cars roof. then the car hits the swirling air (for the most part, it is the 2nd time the same air has been hit)... drag is created, the Cd rises, the mpgs fall... and the waiting list for the Prius gets longer...

20. skew

skew Junior Member

I came out to the parking lot the other day and a beatle was parked next to my prius. If you look a them from the side the windshield hood & back are almost the same. But the beatle is more rounded curves and the prius is flat angles.