1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius detaching / disconnecting battery before starting car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ashbash11, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Ashbash11

Ashbash11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey,
    So I have a 2008 Prius. I went out of town for 3 weeks and didnt drive it at all. When I got home battery was dead. Called AAA, they lifted the hood, gave me a jump and told me to drive around for an hour. I did car was fine....

The car drove fine for the next 2 days. Day 3, I go outside and car won't start. However unlike when my battery died the first time, this time the lights came on in car and the car made a humming noise when attempting to use the push start. I called AAA and they attempted to give me a jump from the main battery in the trunk, NOTHING.

AAA towed the car to Pep boys who told me I needed a new battery. I paid almost $400 for a new battery and got the car back. However for some odd reason, PeP boys told me that the car is not reacting to the new battery so I have to attempt to start the car (it doesnt work) and then go to the trunk, detach the battery and then re attach the battery and then boom, the car works...

I have been doing this for about 10 days now.

Has anyone ever had this issue before??? Thanks

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Generally speaking, if you have warning lights being displayed on the dash you will have OBD2 codes (DTCs) stored in the computers (ECUs). You can use a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner to retrieve these codes (DTCs) from the computers, not all scanners are compatible and may not offer any/all of the stored DTCs. Many auto parts chains will offer a free OBD2 scan, each store (even in the same chain) can have a different scanner for use, best to try multiple locations and chains to confirm the DTCs retrieved.

If you have a DIY attitude, many will use a 'mini-vci' cable (20 usd) and techstream (dealership technician software) installed on a windows device. Others get by using an OBD2 bluetooth adapter with an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant on a droid device.

If buying an OBD2 bluetooth adapter, be sure to buy a quality product : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Once you know the OBD2 codes (DTCs), please post them in this thread for additional guidance.

From your description, you likely have DTC P0AA6 (aka P3009), which is a HV ground leak or fault Inside the HV battery.

Do you have tools and a DIY attitude, or will you be relying on others to remedy this problem for you?

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted five (5) times.

#2 SFO, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Raytheeagle, strawbrad and dbstoo like this.