1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius died randomly today, TSB EG047?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BoostedTimmy, Oct 19, 2009.

1. BoostedTimmy

BoostedTimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I had 3 pips of gas left, car dies for no reason in traffic and forces me to run EV only, stopped at a gas station and the car wont restart. Had it towed to Toyota, they said it was flashing 1 pip so they put 3 gallons in it....still no start.

I went to the car tonight with my spare to remove the EV button mod just to avoid any BS the dealer might try to pull :ph34r:, I noticed the deal had written on reciept paper

"c2315,p3190,40293 - 2 times,p0705,p0852,p0a0f,p3102"

that's a lot of codes, most of them when searched on the forum lead me to TSB EG047, but, I bought this prius used and the carfax showed it was taken to the dealer religiously, is it possible they never preformed the tsb, or is there something much worse wrong with my car?

2. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealers saying the fuel pump went bad, they want over 700 dollars to fix it because they say it's contained in the fuel tank so it all has to be replaced. Needless to say, I'm not happy. Can't find much information on this, can anyone advise?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fuel pump is located inside of the tank. I'll let someone else look up the codes.

Tom

4. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got off the phone with another dealer because this seems strange to me...the codes match up with the TSB, and when waiting for the tow truck I ran both batterys very low, which would explain the other codes. I called another dealer and they said the TSB was never performed on my car, but it's VIN puts it in the affected units....

Last night when I disconnected the battery to reset the codes the car turned on and ran the engine for warm up then errored out again, if I really wasn't getting fuel pressure I wouldn't have been able to do this twice and the engine still be running smooth like it was.

I think I'm getting the run around at this dealer, maybe they think I'm an idiot because of the "Police Interceptor" badge on the back and the NOS plate on the front....maybe I am an idiot...whatever the case I'll be sure to update this thread.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like a runaround.

Tom

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi BT,

Engine Running, then Killing on power up happens when the throttle body is dirty too. Might be the problem, but give it a shot and see what happens. Look around on this site for instructions on how to clean the throttle body. At your car's age, its due for a throttle body cleaning.

1 person likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long did the engine run? If it "ran" for only several seconds, then it is more likely that MG1 was spinning the engine during that time, and the engine did not actually start.

If the engine did start and ran for a reasonable length of time, then I agree that it does not sound like the fuel pump is at fault. To be sure you would have to disconnect the fuel line where it attaches to the injector rail and measure fuel system pressure.

1 person likes this.
  8. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Each time I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, it would start like it normally would for the first time of the day, then after the warm up cycle the dash just lights up...ready light turns off and won't turn back on again, car wont shift into D only N etc... Sounded normal, but I suppose it's definitely possible it was simply being spun. The one time I was in the car and it started, the MFD showed the HV Battery was recieving a charge from the engine, but does that just show up regardless?

9. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked them to simply apply the TSB and let me tow the car away, however, they claim that they cannot apply to TSB without the gas engine running. Since It's an ECU reflash, and the entire TSB exists because the condition causes the engine not to be able to run I know this isnt true (how could you ever fix it lol), but I called two other dealers to be sure and they agreed it can still be done and they would do it.

I'm going to try and talk to the service manager, but even if they are correct with their diagnosis they have still lied to me about the TSB for one reason or another....

10. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, don't play jim rockford, just go to a new dealer, and try to negotiate a make good on the repair if you can

11. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    C2315 = HV System Malfunction. Reported by the Transmission Control ECU, when the HV ECU detects a malfunction with Park.

P3190 = Poor Engine Power. Engine has started but torque output is below 20% of expected torque. Reported by engine ECM.

I can't fiind a reference for 40293.

P0705 = Transmission Range Sensor Circuit. There are 10 information codes associated with this code which indicate the exact fault. This code indicates a fault with the Hall-effect sensors in the shift lever.

P0852 = Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit High. The HV ECU is detecting that the Park switch is shorted to the battery voltage. The voltage is normally a few volts whether pressed or not, so the car can tell when it either goes open circuit or shorted.

P0A0F = Engine Failed To Start. Reported by HV ECU - this may be associated with the P3190 code.

P3102 = Transmission Control ECU malfunction. Reported by HV ECU. Probably the cause of C2315. This is mostly associated with the Park position sensor, which tells the Transmission Control ECU the position of the parking pawl.

If you've been repeatedly trying to start the car, the 12V battery could have become weak, especially if it was a bit marginal to begin with. I'm not sure I'd believe the messages about the park position sensor and park button just yet. Of course if you do have a problem with the 12V system, the fuel pump won't run and the spark won't fire properly, so I'd start by replacing the 12V battery anyway, or at least checking that its voltage is good. Seriously depleted 12V batteries act as a drain on the 12V system, pulling the voltage down and causing all manner of problems.

You can check the voltage by following the steps at 12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit and free shipping. (Scroll down to 'Prius battery test procedure'.)

My understanding is that the update described in EG047-04 TSB simply extends the amount of time before the ECM will decide that the engine hasn't caught - it'll crank a bit longer. That doesn't sound like your problem.

The P3190 code is likely the root cause of your problems, and the recommended course of action is:

- Check the air induction system (intake) for leakages or blockages
    - Check for unusual noises or vibration
    - Check the fuel pressure
    - Inspect mass air flow meter
    - Inspect engine coolant temperature sensor
    - Inspect crankshaft and camshaft position sensors
    - Inspect throttle control motor and position sensor
    - Replace the ECM

Fuel pumps do fail, particularly if you regularly run the car dry. The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel passing through it, and it's recommended that you don't run the car with less than a quarter of a tank. There is a certain amount of reserve below the final blob on the gauge. Do be aware that short fill-ups can cause problems with the car's calibration, which sometimes leads the gauge to register higher than you actually have.

Please see the attached for the full DTC resolution tree.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. nthach

nthach New Member

On cars with returnless fuel systems, they are even more sensitive to fuel starvation and heat - cars with return-type systems have a constant loop of fuel going through the pump.

1 person likes this.
  13. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran into the mechanic and he seemed pretty legitimate and explained pretty much the same thing. I think the service representative was just making me suspicious because he wanted me to buy that gas tank so badly from them, but I guess he just needs to stay in business (765 for the job :eek:) . I'm getting a tank from a salvaged car for like 100 dollars and should finish swapping it out later this week, can't wait to have my car back :D

14. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Concord Toyota???

15. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah Toyota and Scion of Concord.

I replaced the tank myself, the car is ABSOLUTELY no different. I called the dealer really pissed off and they actually sent the guy that looked at my car over to my house. He said that I now have fuel pressure, but the car was still no different and he wasn't sure what was wrong.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now, I've wasted a ton of my time replacing this gas tank (had to do it twice), money to drive and go get it, and money to have the car towed. The mechanic was a real nice guy, but I'm not sure that there ever was a fuel pressure problem at all, I'm not sure if a mistake was really made or I was being ripped off :confused: I'm going to try a few of the things Mike has mentioned tomorrow.

I miss my car and want it running again :( Should I have it towed back to the same dealer or another nearby one if I can't fix it?

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you are tired of screwing around with this. Take it to a different dealer. Tell us what they find including all codes.

17. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took it to Scott Clarks, they replaced the MAF sensor and she runs like a champ. I'm out a 60 dollar diagnostic fee and 70 for a tank and I have a giant freaking gas tank stuck in my garage...and I'm very doubtful I ever had a fuel pump problem. I wouldn't recommend taking your Prius to Toyota/Scion of Concord :mad:

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the tip. I have a niece in Charlotte with a 2004 Prius. I will find out who she normally deals with and pass on your experience.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dirty MAF can be caused by chronic gross overfilling of oil. Do you always check the oil level yourself after a change? Was it ever above the upper dot on the dipstick?

Not an ideal experience, to be sure, but all's well that ends well. Enjoy!

20. BoostedTimmy

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Walmart did the most recent oil change (<100 miles before the problem), when I looked past the throttle body there was some small oil puddling, could have been related.

The dealer said it looked like a bug had somehow gotten into the intake and died in the MAF, oil sounds more likely to me though .