1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius differences?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jrfish007, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jrfish007

jrfish007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I just took delivery of a 2013 Blue Prius last week. I am a little surprised the mpg isn't better, currently the computer is showing 43 mpg - we are only about 300 miles into the first tank. The reason I was expecting better was that I took home a 2010 Prius (both are Prius 2's) for an extended test drive (3 days total). I drove over 500 miles in those 3 days and averaged 49 mpg. I generally buy used cars because of lower price point, but the new 2013 only cost a little more because of Toyota's 0% interest, so I just went for the new one. Other than tires, I can not see why the difference in mpg, I went right to the gas station and pumped both cars up within 5 miles of getting it to 40 psi all the way around (I see people stagger the psi, haven't figured out why yet) and the used car had different brand of tires, OEM size though. It has been hot and nasty pretty much the entire time so the AC was on with both cars and I kept them both in ECO mode and EV whenever I could.

So my question is what types of things brake in over time with the Prius? Is there a brake in for the battery packs or anything like that? This is my first hybrid, so I'm not sure of these things...

On a different note, even 43 mpg is absolutely amazing where I live, my old Camry 4 cylinder only averaged 17 mpg here in the mountains, my Tundra I traded for the Prius got 13, and my wife's Rav 4 gets 17. So you can see mpg around here is always pretty rough. Our (as in the towns) rule of thumb is to look at city mpg and subtract 3 mpg for what we realistically get. I don't know anyone with normal ICE that gets even close to 30 mpg around here, so 43 mpg is still great, but 49 would be better... We'll see how the car holds up over time, as cars generally don't fare well here.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would suggest give it a couple of months and than check your overall MPG. I think the car will get better MPG once it's broken in. For me, once my Prius is warmed up, I easily get over 50 mpg under normal driving condition. I get better MPG than my wife because I pulse and glide, she doesn't. The only time she glides is when she knows she'll have to stop or slow down. I use the ICE for acceleration or going up a hill. Once I get up to cruising speed, I glide using gravity or battery or both. No road is perfectly flat, if I sense the road is descending, I start gliding.

The general rule that I follow is use the ICE when I need the power, otherwise use the battery if possible.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whenever I do a reset (0 the mileage) it takes at least two tanks fulls to get the mileage back into the 60's, when new from the dealer, well, they usually leave the car in ready while they assemble and clean and adjust so the first tank might not really get out of the 40's, relax, the numbers will improve:)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can not help until you benchmark your car's performance:
    • find a flat road, 10 miles long, low-traffic conditions
    • drive the car for at least 20 minutes to warm up everything including the transmission
    • set the car to one of these speeds: 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 mph
    • reset a trip meter upon entering the 10 mile section
    • at end, record the MPG and mph
    • turn around and repeat at the same speed
    • take two readings, average, and that is your "mph vs MPG" number for that speed
    • repeat until you have the full set or at least 25, 45, 65, and 75 mph
    When you've collected your data, we'll compare it to mine:
    [​IMG]

What this will do is identify any systemic problem with your car. Then we can work on how to improve your Prius mileage.

Bob Wilson

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First tank is going to be bad as it averages in the idling on dealers lot to charge batteries. I had that in mine too. The second tankful had normal MPG.

One more thing. Forced EV hurts your MPG. Read about pulse and glide.

6. jrfish007

jrfish007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably should have added that it is based off the trip computer which I reset when I got it.

Thabks Bob, I will try it this weekend, I have to search for 10 flat miles...

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. jrfish007

jrfish007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EV hurts mpg? I have quite a bit to learn about this car yet... I do pulse and glide when I can, but the mountains make it difficult to do anything efficiently.

8. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forced EV doesn't hurt MPG, it depends on the situation. If you're trying to leave a crowded parking lot, it is better to put the Prius in EV because you'll be moving slow until you get on the main road. Otherwise, the ICE may fire up while you're still in the parking lot and running the ICE while moving slow is the fastest way to reduce your MPG and that is not what you want. Whenever you're in a situation where power requirement is low, it is better to use the electric motor. Moving slow in a parking lot is a good example.

9. jrfish007

jrfish007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense. I generally put it in EV in my development where I drive about 15-20 mph, form there I enter right into the highway and EV kicks off.

Although sometimes when I start off in the morning the car's ICE kicks on and I can't get it off. It bothers me because I can drive almost 5 minutes every morning in EV but the ICE is running and I can't get it to turn off...

10. JuRuKi

JuRuKi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    my first tanks were in the 42-45 range. I heard lower MPG is normal in the first tanks. I learned how to drive the Prius properly and now have 11k miles total and im averaging 54.4 mpg in the time that i owned it

11. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In summer time, if my hybrid battery is not low, I could put the Prius in EV mode as soon as the READY light is on. I could drive in EV until the speed exceed 11 mph. By then, I'll be 2 blocks away from my house. I agree with you, it doesn't make sense to have the ICE running while I'm backing out of my driveway. In winter time, you won't be able to do this because the Prius wants to warm up as soon as possible so it won't let you put the car in EV in the morning.

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I force the ICE on first thing and keep the car parked for the first 50 some odd seconds to get past stage 1a before taking off.
    jrfish007: This forced EV stuff is causing you to try accelerating once you're out of your subdivision with a depleted battery, a stone cold engine that's using retarded timing to warm itself up and a reluctance on the car's part to link the engine output to the wheels unless you push it.

That's why forced EV hurts mileage.

13. JuRuKi

JuRuKi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^ i found out that i get worse mpg when i warm up the car in the morning. I just drive slow while it warms up

Dan Cathy likes this.
  14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^^That's ok. What I'm taking issue with is trying to delay engine start until you actually want to accelerate beyond neighborhood speeds.

15. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Interestingly enough, I think forced EV is what causes some of the larger variance between displayed and calculated mpg. On the first two tank's displayed/calculated where under 1mpg off on one and the other 2mpg off (49.9 vs 49.2, 49.1 vs 47.x). On this last tank to 600 miles on the tank, I spent the last 4 miles driving around the gas station in EV mode.... it pumped up the displayed mpg to 59.3, but my actual was 55.x mpg.

Not sure how, but I think forced EV is what throws it off.

16. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Why is it that it always kicks the ICE on above 11mph? I can at other times be driving under 25mph, and be in EV mode? Or is it that the ICE is on but just spinning without using fuel above 11mph and under 25mph?

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, if you force it into EV more than it would do it by itself, you are depleting battery more than it should be. The more depleted battery is, the more power is going to be diverted from ICE to charge it as opposed to opportunistic charging from regenerative braking with almost full battery.

While mountains kill your MPG, they make P&G easy. Ie. uphill = pulse, downhill = glide.

18. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Once the car is completely warmed up, then you could go as high as 27 in EV if you don't step on the accelerator too hard. Also, if the battery is low, you may not able to go that fast on EV. If you look at your real-time MPG reading, if it's saying 100, that means your ICE is not burning fuel. At 25 mph, the ICE will not be spinning without fuel. The speed has to exceed 42 mph before that happens.

19. Dan Cathy

Dan Cathy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing to remember, just because you turn on EV mode, that doesn't mean the Prius is depleting the battery at all time. The battery only gets depleted when you step on the accelerator. You could pulse and glide in EV. It is false to say that force EV will reduce MPG. That statement is too general because it depends on the situation and how you drive. Also, when you step on the brake make sure that you step on it firmly, otherwise you may have electrical leakage where the battery is being depleted but the car is not moving. I have used EV mode in parking lots in many occasions and the battery gets depleted by very small amount. This is better than firing up the ICE and drive the car at slow speed. This is when the ICE is at the least efficient state. Even though the battery will need to be recharged later, but it will get recharged when the ICE is operating at a more efficient state. It is a bad idea to have the ICE running while you're moving slow.

20. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Q: What types of things break-in(sp) over time with the Prius?

A: The driver.
    It takes a while to learn how to drive the Prius efficiently

Q: What type of things break over time with a Prius?

A.
    The exterior paint is easily chipped or scratch.
    The interior plastic vinyl gets scuffed up easily.
    The front air dam is very little ground clearance and is easily scuffed up.
    it is pretty easy to blow the 15amp fuse of the the 12vdc aux power/cigarette lighter port
    the little plastic hinges/connectors to the oil pan shield gets messed up really easy
    the tires .
    The carpet in the cargo area is easily stained ( if u do major hauling - do yourself a
    favor and get a custom rubber mats to protect the car, e.g. WeatherTech mats ).