1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Down!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonnycat26, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While driving to lunch today, my Prius (384 miles on it too!) gave what could be best described as a huge shudder, and the Hybrid System warning light came on. (The big red triangle with the exclamation point). I was able to creep to a parking lot on battery power, and got it towed to Toyota.

Every warning light was on (VSC, Check Engine, etc). Anybody ever see this before, or have any idea what's happening?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

No, but keep us informed for sure. Please.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just a quick update... Toyota said they won't be able to get to it until monday. I'm a little concerned, because when I tried to shut it down and restart it, I didn't hear the clicking from the batteries under the seat that I normally do. This seems like it could be trouble.

In the meantime, I'm driving a Scion xA. With no stereo. Or armrest. I think I may go back and beg for an echo.

4. Frank Hudon

It's not out of gas by any chance is it?

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope... nearly a full tank.

6. Frank Hudon

when you deal with the dealer/service dept tell them you want all the codes listed and you want a printed copy of them for you personal file on the car. That way you won't get a lot of BS from them because you know that there are way's of determining what went wrong other than their say so. Plus it's good to have a record of problems with your car so you can track if it has a history of doing this. Helps keep the dealer honest.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Just the kind of thing that makes you lose your enthusiasm for the car. :( If such a failure happens to me, especially in the middle of nowehere, I would start looking for trade-in alternatives and say hasta la vista baby to hybrid technology.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I can understand how that situation would be frustrating for anyone, it is, fortunately, very rare. There are millions of stories about non-hybrid cars that suddenly gave up the ghost as well. Some carte' blanc statement about giving up completely on hybrid technology b/c of a one time failure of the most complex automotive system every publictly sold in the first year production run of that particular car is just a little rash, don't you think? I mean, the same thing could happen with a non-hybrid, would you then give up on ICE vehicles altogether too? What if your home computer crashed once--would you throw it out with the bathwater and go back to the abacus?

Individuals will experience failures. Wayne Brown and a few others have over 36000 completely problem free miles on their vehicles. I've got 8600 problem free miles.

The technology is sound, but individual problems will arise. If you're not prepared to deal with that eventuality then there's probably no reason for you to delve into this technology at all...of course in 10 years you're still going to be puttering around in a rambler with no one left that knows what a carburator is, but it's your call. I just think you're response is a bit of an over reaction...and you don't even know what the actual problem is yet. It may be completely unrelated to the hybrid system. Or it may be directly related but a quirk. Why not wait and see.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I hope you weren't assuming you were replying to the person with the problem. I'm the one with the problem, and while semi disgusted, I'm not ready to look for a trade alternative yet.

Why semi disgusted? Because the car has 385 miles on it, it's a #9, and I'm driving a frickin xA around. I feel like oragami shoved into this thing. No radio. No wheel covers (looks like it was involved in the St. Louis scene from vacation). Etc. No wonder toyota is always ranked so low in customer satisfaction. There's no way VW would have let such a little thing go unnoticed.

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

When you buy a new car, especially one with such a good reputation for trouble-free performance as a Toyota, you expect trouble-free performance, at least for the three years of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Having the hybrid system fail suddenly after less than 400 miles, is enough to make you wonder what will happen next. Another worry is having the car serviced by what is apparently an ill-prepared team of mechanics who are probably learning how to fix the Prius by tinkering with your new car. :?

11. m4prius

m4prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius will have diagnostic codes that should tell the technicians what is wrong...there should be very little guess work and you may find it to be a computer issue....most electronics if they go bad they go bad early. This will be interesting.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm about 99.5% sure that Evan was referring to jamarimutt's response and not to your situation.

13. harryg

harryg New Member

04 tideland bc
    Port Townsend, Wa

Johnnycat26, sorry to read about your problem with the Prius,
    I think we all have vested interest in the solution, and be grateful if you
    would post it - hope it all works out for you!

Harry

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That made me laugh...sorry!! The xA is a pretty poor excuse for a loaner... Do keep us informed of what they find Monday.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope to have an update on the situation tommorow, but for now, here's a post I found on edmunds which describes the problem exactly...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef169e3/1832

I can't say for sure if I have the exact same mechanical issue, but the symptoms are the same. Supposedly Toyota had fixed this issue after the first 10,000 or so priuses had rolled off the line, but maybe their fix is faulty.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry to hear about your problem and i hope you get it fixed soon.

As far as dumping hybride technology for this isolated incident, one might be better off going back to the horse and buggy if they want 100% reliability form any car.

Let me tell you about a co-worker who bought a brand new Dodge mini-van a few years back. At the time, the thing was the most popular and supposedly reliable mini van on the market. Well on his 3rd day of ownership while on his way to work, the van suddenly lost all power and died on the freeway. unfortunately, he died in the middle of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Well after pissing off about 55.000 daily commuters, his vehicle was towed to the dealership who worked on his vehicle for two weeks and told him the problem was solved. That was Tuesday night. On wednesday morning on his way to work his car once again died(this time he was just entering the bridge but still far enough along to totally screw up traffic.)

I would tell you how he fared with his van, but he refused to drive it after that. After nearly a year he has yet to buy a replacement.

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Theoretically, a Toyota mechanic connects a handheld "scanner" to the car and the onboard computer tells him exactly what's wrong. I guess my car told the mechanic that the auxilliary battery was partially discharged, so he recharged it and the red triangle went off. Next morning the triangle was back on... so much for theory.

18. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Jonnycat26, just to clarify: was the rental Scion provided to you under the standard Toyota warranty, or do you have the extended warranty? Or did the dealership provide it on their own?

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the extended warranty (7/100K)... the Scion was all they had available, so it's what I had to take. What kinda sucks is if they had no cars available, they'd call a rental agency and arrange one. I'd much rather tool around in a cavalier or sunfire than the shoebox they stuck me in.

Now I'm just bracing myself for any news tommorow...