1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius DVD Nav vs other Nav System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Voidvoice, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I dont have a prius yet and very close to get a Package #5, I have a couple question regarding to the DVD nav system vs other nav system like TomTom

First of all, i never use a Nav system before. How is the prius DVD nav system compare to others? One thing i noticed is that the screen is bigger, how about other thngs like features, easy of use, upgradability, etc. ?

Thanks for any opinions.

2. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [FONT=&quot]I really like the graphic interface on my 08 prius, however I hate the fact that you cannot update your destination location until you come to a stop. Wonder why Honda permits you do change the address and not Toyota or any other built in Nav systems? (Off course you can pay 100 bucks for the clip and hack the system to be able to enter the address on the go)[/FONT]

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the factory NAV system and like it a lot. There are pluses and minuses. Here is what you will generally find on the forums:

Pluses for the factory NAV:
    1) Built-in. No wires or mounting brackets.

2) Larger screen.

3) Integrated with the speedometer and odometer for dead reckoning.

4) Integrate with the voice command system.

Minuses for the factory NAV:
    1) Expensive.

2) Lockout of many features while moving.

3) User interface is somewhat clumsy as compared to Garmin.

4) Expensive updates.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still by the factory system.

Tom

4. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with Tom. Given the choice, I would always go with the built in NAV for the reasons Tom mentioned and due to theft problems with portables and having to deal with removing and replacing a portable each time I go somewhere. Even pulling the portable off and hiding in the car is not safe as theives have learned to spot the tell-tale suction cup marks to identify cars with portable NAVs.

5. uicandrew

uicandrew New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i don't have a prius (yet?) but i feel very strongly about my garmin nuvi 360.

i have a weighted "bean bag" mount that allows for easy storage of my nuvi in my car without leaving a "suction cup ring." it is very convenient. it doesn't slide around on my dashboard, even when cornering at tire squealing speeds

also, my nuvi says, "arriving at <destination> on your right" so you know where to look. You'll also be able to take your portable system with you if you have to use a rental car or if you're going on a road trip in another car.

in general, i find garmin to be better than tomtom because garmin uses "Navteq" maps (better for USA) and tomtom uses "teleatlas" maps (better for europe)

6. Rotorhead

Rotorhead New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the factory navigation system, even though it doesn't have the great features of my sister's Garmin Nuvi. The screen is outstanding. My system has the latest software and still there are areas not covered. This happens much more frequently than with the Garmin. If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy the factory nav. For a person like myself, who has gone through life lost, satellite navigation is like opening my eyes for the first time. I don't even carry a map in my Prius.

Mike

7. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Denso system in the Prius is not as good as the Garmin Nuvi in terms of navigation. It's older technology based on DVD's while the Nuvi has all the maps stored in memory. The Nuvi can be purchased for $250:

Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 350 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

I looked long and hard at the built in system but could not justify the additional cost. The fact that addresses can't be changed while the car is rolling was the deal breaker.

There is a bunch of option for mounting aftermarket GPS's that don't leave a tell tale sign on the dash or the windshield.

We swap the Nuvi between the three cars in the family. I didn't buy the built in Nav for my wife's Honda Pilot either.

8. 808carguy

808carguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can anyone tell me if the 2008 Prius NAV system will work in Hawaii? I am getting conflicting answers to this question. I've used it on the mainland and found it useful.

Any assistance is appreciated! :cool:

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes it will work in Hawaii, but the level of detail with roads won't be what you get on the mainland. Many of the roads in Hawaii are a bit on the sketchy side, so it is unlikely they will show up on the maps. The NAV system suffers from this in parts of Canada too.

Tom

10. bob2780

bob2780 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi everyone

As a side note I went up on the Navteq website to register for future updates notices and to report map errors I found the maker name of the Toyota Prius II GPS system 06-present
    By Aisin AW LTD here is the URL

AISIN AW CO.,LTD./Carnavigation System (for Overseas)

Under the Toyota DVD Voice Navigation System for North America under the overseas products page sixth one from the top

It was confusing at first because it is listed on the Navteq site selecting system type Prius II as AISIN AW FULL COLOR SYSTEM the Prius is listed as DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM I originally thought it was made by Denso LTD

The Navteq Website is
    NAVTEQ: WELCOME TO NAVTEQ

looking at my 06 disk here is the copyright list Toyota Denso Navteq mapdata by Infocom and if look at the data on the disk it states AISIN THEY MAY MAKE THE HARDWARE FOR GEN5 NAV 06-PRESENT GEN4 WAS Denso 04-05:plane:

Hope this helps
    Bob2780

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob, I think part of the confusion with the maker of any GPS system is that the maker of the GPS box is never the company supplying the map data. There are only a couple (3, 4?) of major players in the map database world, who supply maps for all of the GPS companies. As users of a mapping GPSs, we mostly see errors in the map database, so that's where we want to direct our complaints.

Tom

12. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Last year, my wife and I bought a Nuvi 360 as our Christmas toy. Then in April we bought the Prius, package 6. While I am hardly a GPS expert I found it easier learning the NUvi than mastering the GPS on the Prius (I still havent mastered voice) With that said, there are pluses I like about the Toyota's system like the ability to suspend voice command when you detour and the navigation system 'concluding' when you reach your destination. The voice on the Totota giving directions is much easier to listen to. I didnt like the 'recalculating' voice feature on the Nuvi...after awhile it sounded like a bored teacher frustrated with her student. I love the big screen on the Totota and I think part of learning curve for owners is mastering the voice commands and blue tooth phone capabilities.
    For the Nuvi owner cosidering the package 5, its real nice to ditch the bean bag......just like it was easy to ditch it after the 70's. The most frustrating aspect of the Toyota system is the safety feature often mentioned. It's ridiculous and it might be worth the money to hack it so it works while the car is moving. This safety feature probably causes more safety problems than prevents them, like road rage or having to pull over to the apron in heavy traffic to reset the system or enter data.

13. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Makes a great sun-shade for my MFD.
    Bracketron UFM-100BL Nav-Mat GPS Friction Dash Pad

14. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know this thread is comparing portable with the factory but I agree with the above. TomTom had the nearest embassy as one of it's featured destination selections. Like I need to know??

We would up buying the Garmin 350 but that was before I had my Prius. Now it's sitting on the dining room table. I do like the Garmin better than the factory as a navigator, but having a built-in one I think is a better idea due to theft reasons. We will keep the 350 for traveling, however.

An even BETTER idea is if a company like Garmin would get together with a car manufacturer and create a built-in version.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MAYBE a bit off this thread, but what's the BEST WAY TO GET real time navi? can the factory be upgraded to this?

Also, what is the solution when i cannot input (it says not in existance) an address that has been around for 10+ years?

My caddy had a DVD that was replaced every two years. what kind of system do we have? (2008) someone mentioned a DVD, but is that true?

17. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometime an address cannot be found due to differences in little things (like N, S, E, or W) between what the software will accept and what is commonly used. Also, a suburb name or city name may be required by the software.

Try starting by entering the city name then the street name without modifiers such as drive, road, N, S, E, W and the like. The system will list available streets for you to select from with available modifiers. Once the street is selected it will show the range of address it will accept. If the street cannot be found in the city, try another commonally used name for that area (or vis versa). In the metropolitan LA area there is considerable opportunity for different names to be used while the software will usually only accept one.

18. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow - that's cool! The only one thing is that is looks to be a regular Garmin (customized by Suzuki) that attaches to a docking station, so theft would still worry me.

It's a step forward though!

Toyota are you listening? Get together with Garmin and create a BUILT-IN version before some other car manufacturer contracts with them first!

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Each of them has their pros and cons. I have a Nuvi 350 (Bluetooth-less version of the 360) for my nav-less Z.

Below is a post I made on Tivocommunity long in 1/08 listing some pros and cons. Now that PND (portable navigation devices) have become so cheap vs. factory nav systems, I actually would hesitate buying factory nav units in future cars now unless they became more price competitive.

(begin quote)
    "I have a Nuvi 350 (for my nav system-less car) and I also have an 06 Prius w/factory nav system. The Toyota/Lexus nav systems from around that era are all very similar in functionality and UI.

Each definitely has its pros and cons. I wish I had some screenshots and/or time to take them to illustrate.

The cons of my Nuvi 350 include:
    - hassle of having to carry around and remove the unit along w/hiding the bean bag friction mount
    - suction cup mount doesn't work too well w/the plastic disc (I don't use it anymore) - it's fallen down a # of times already
    - the screen's resolution is too limited and thus the info it gives is limited, esp. when it comes to upcoming exits and turns (the Prius w/map view on left and turn on the right shows more info and shows details of the intersection/turn/highway exit or portion to stay on)
    - beacuse of above, there's no dual map view (can't be looking at 2 different parts of map, esp. at different zoom levels)
    - map lines are too thick combined w/low res screen so it hardly shows any street names (just useless outlines)
    - has no voice recognition
    - no steering wheel controls
    - no lookup by phone #
    - no integration w/stereo (stereo volume doesn't go down when GPS unit makes annoucements)
    - no "bread crumbs" feature (not that I use it on the Prius much)
    - no real equivalent of the filtered points of interest display as icons (like restaurants, ATM, fast food, etc.)
    - having to worry about charging the battery or plugging it in
    - yet another wire in my car (that makes 3 cigarette lighter devices for me: radar detector, GPS, iPod charger/FM transmitter)
    - doesn't display the approximate address you're at when you press a button (on Prius, when you press Map button, it'll indicate 1234 Elm St. - this beats looking around for house numbers in the dark)
    - more cumbersome to switch between North Up and Track Up view (1 touch on the Prius)

pros of my Nuvi 350:
    - has text to speech (reads street names aloud)
    - can use in another cars
    - displays upcoming street name when not in guidance mode
    - many voices to choose from
    - map updates will likely be cheaper than my Prius'
    - can work w/FM traffic receivers (not that I have one)
    - has useless (to me) features like MP3 player, picture viewer, language guide, etc.

I can name many more pros and cons if I spend more time to think about it. I've played w/systems in recent Infinitis and IIRC, they let you use a dial to zoom in and out quickly. I wish I had more in depth knowledge of nav systems beyond Toyota/Lexus ones. Once you get used to something, you tend to realize there are some features you miss and things some do better than others."
    (end quote)

20. acidburn517

acidburn517 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm about to get a package 5 (it became available before the package 4 that I wanted). I really didn't think I needed another GPS but I would much rather have a car than be a stickler about the nav. I already have a Garmin nuvi 360 (I love the text to speech). Does the built in nav have TTS as well?