1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius economics buys a gas furnace

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 13, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    BACKGROUND

In 1991, we bought our house with a major appliance warranty. We soon learned the gas furnace had a failed heater box which risks CO poisoning. It was replaced . . . a warranty replacement.

Over the 24 years, I've kept the old unit working by various 'Bobs jobs'. The systemic problem was the evaporator coil overhead that leaked on the warranty unit. That evaporator unit is being removed as part of the replacement . . . never again.

SELECTION

The replacement is a Lennex, 97.6% efficient, unit. I was offered a $1,800 cheaper, 80% unit. But as I explained to them,"We own two Prius."

In Prius economics:
    • Operational efficiency is more important than purchase price.
    Today's money can disappear in an instant from theft, Nigerian-hucksters, other priorities, e.t.c. But money spent on efficiency is in a vault that thieves can never take. Unlike a CD, it returns heat and value which non-Prius people are unable to understand.

Money comes in two flavors:
    1. Capital money
    2. Operational money
    They are not the same thing. Too many times I've seen the bitter aftertaste of poor quality replace the brief sweetness of cheap. For example, in 1986 I prepared the plant and equipment budget for my GE facility:
    • Four Macintosh for work processing group
    • Four PC portables compatibles for engineering lab
    • Two AT/PCs compatibles for accounting and scheduling
    Then we got "helped" by division headquarters who made them all IBM PCs and jacked up the cost 50%. Worse, they claimed everything the Macs could do, the PCs could too. The portables were bigger and slower than the compatibles. Only the accounting systems achieved their desired goal.

Within a year, I used my personal Mac to take a job in Huntsville AL and that GE facility never got a taste of the work we did in Huntsville. The word processing department could not compete nor could their engineers whose lab was unable to compete.

OTHER CHARACTERISTICS

The new unit will:
    • Install PVC exhaust pipe - the exhaust is so cool it risks condensing in the pipe. They offered a cheaper, 80% unit that waste heat to keep the H{2}O exhaust vapor from condensing so a cheaper pipe can be used.
    • External combustion air pipe - again, there is no reason to induct house warm air that sucks in outside air for furnace combustion air. This is the classic problem of traditional wood stoves and fireplaces that toast the fire facing side yet freeze the backside from the outside air coming in to replace the combustion and chimney vent air.
    • Hallway accessed filter - the existing filter required removing a cover, unhooking two flimsy metal strips, extracting filter, and installing the filter from the narrow end. The replacement filter holder accessible from the hall will not require partial disassembly of the heater, removing the interlock protected cover. Easier filter replacement means the fan won't have to work so hard.
    • Single-plug, 110VAC power - one of my earliest modifications, our Prius will be able to power the unit during a winter storm outage.
    Bob Wilson

Jeff N and iplug like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My wife is an architect, so my house will never be 'finished'. As she dreams up changes, I implement each change in the most (long term) economical way.

We needed a new A/C unit I got a 23 SEER unit.
    She wanted a new roof, the shingles are designed to reflect more sunlight, the roof vents are solar powered until a thermostat goes off, then AC until it cools Attic got another 3 inches of insulation
    All the windows are triple pane inert gas with internal shades, as are the doors
    Appliances are less energy consuming, dryer switched to gas.
    A tankless water heater also freed up space for her to convert a laundry room to a half bath
    More insulation in the walls due to residing
    73 CFL bulbs, replaced all but 4 of the incandescents, now slowly being replaced with LED bulbs.

#2 JimboPalmer, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the upgrade! I will be making a similar decision for our two A/Cs sometime soon. I'll take the incremental increase in efficiency that some people just wouldn't due to the large increase in price. Operational costs add up...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have always used the highest efficiency boilers/furnaces i could buy. unfortunately, sometimes the latest tech can also be the least reliable. in new england, a broken heating unit in february can be exhilarating. but in the long run, i think it's worth it.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When we switched to natural gas, the 40+year old oil boiler was replaced with high efficiency condensing type with the exterior intake.

If you are the type to do your own maintenance and repair on a furnace or boiler, you might want to skip Lennox. Parts are only through, a smaller number, of licensed dealers.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's amazing how many warm air furnaces can't get the filter right.