1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius electrical fire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adrenalinwill, May 10, 2004.

1. adrenalinwill

adrenalinwill New Member

Has anyone seen the 2004 black listed on e-bay as salvage title? It seemed like a fire started near the fuel tank by the rear driverside door. I wonder what happened.

Very saddening to see a crippled Prius. :cry:

See ebay item #2477812562

2. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :cry: :cry: Yes I've seen it and could not believe that TOYOTA let this car loose to the world for all to see :!: :roll:
    :computer: :wave:

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wow! i wonder what caused it. i hope toyota knows about it so they can issue whatever bulletin concerning such an occurence. hmmm, if a prius gets totalled in a crash, what do they do to the salvagable parts? where can those be purchased? sure would like to know, like if battery pack is needed... or rims, or other replacement parts, i'd know where to find one. :wink:

4. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you sure this fire started INSIDE the car? From the above picutre it looks like a fire was started UNDER ths car.

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After looking at the detailed photos, it appears that the fire did not start near any of the hybrid components or the fuel tank. If you check the underside photos available on a seperate thread you will see that the orange high voltage cable and fuel components are some distance from the fire damage. At this point, it appears to be the work of an SUV driving soccer mom on a cell phone. oops sorry, wrong thread.
    Ray

6. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    These Hybrid cars are dangerous! When will they learn not to use dangerous combustible and explosive liquids in cars!

Actually if you get a fuel leak most any kind of spark could set it off. My guess is it hit something on the bottom, got a fuel leak and some kind of wire. Probably not the main high voltage but more likely lights or door or even stereo.

jv

7. adrenalinwill

adrenalinwill New Member

$10,000 for a salvage title! Not bad at all!