1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Engine and Suspension M0dz?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusstreetracerFTW, Jun 20, 2006.

1. priusstreetracerFTW

priusstreetracerFTW New Member

Hello all. I'm new to the boards here and look forward to learning absolutely as much as I can about my new 2006 Prius. I picked her up slightly used with only 3k miles on the clock. I got a killer deal :)

At any rate, I'm interested in Auto-Crossing and drag racing my car here locally and am curious as to what I can do as far as engine modifications, and significant suspension upgrades. As far as a budget, I'll spend whatever it takes to get quality parts.

This is also my DD so please keep that in mind if you make a recommendation. As of now, I squeezed two black Recaro SRD seats in there and fabricated my own seat mounts to the stock sliders. The car also has a six-point welded in roll bar. Harnesses are on the way.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

You bought a Prius to autocross? So many things I could say about that but I'll be nice and leave it at.......

That is not why you buy a Prius.

4. priusstreetracerFTW

Thanks for the link.

One thing that I feel is going to be hard to over come is the fact that the Prius has a Torsion Beam in the rear. This is going to cause unwanted suspension characteristics in the form of unwanted toe and camber problems and quite possibly some binding somewhere.

I know the prius was never made for racing and is just a little shit box commuter car, but I figured 'why not'? At least I can auto x and still get 55mpg.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no problems with your wanting to auto X or drag race your Prius; but please do not refer to it as a "shit box". This is a pretty incredible car for all it is. Believe me I have had a ton of cars and really love driving my Prius. At present my 2001 Acura NSX sits in the garage next to it. Soon it is going to have either a new SL500 or a Carrera S sitting next to it. THe Prius holds its own with those cars in my opinion. The Prius is the Ferrari of Hybrids......

7. Sirhc

Sirhc New Member

I would think that the prius would suffer in auto crossing b/c of the lack of a powerful high-end. I mean yeah tourque is great but nothing will be able to beat top end power.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    auto-x isn't about top-speed... that's just american cars haha j/k I'm not gonna start another flame thread okay?

But yeah, I mean it can compete with other 1.5 litre cars.. you know, just see how it compares.

OP, you might wanna start with the suspension braces...

9. Sirhc

Sirhc New Member

I didnt mean that top speed was needed to win auto-x. I've been to a few, I was actually asking about the powerband of the prius. I know its got gobs of tourqe at low rpms but what about hp up in the powerband?

:edit: It seems like a Cheap CRX or Miata would do MUCH better in its class than a Prius. But then if the driver sucks....

10. toyo proxes ra-1 rubber

I don't know dude. The prius is an 18 second car. It was meant for fuel economy and driving in traffic not racing. I know of a 1.5 Liter car that only has 8 valves and puts out 70hp that would do better than 18 second in the 1/4 mile. The prius is also too heavy due to the extra battery weight. Seriously why would you want to autocross it when you have a perfectly nice NSX or Carrera in your garage.

11. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

I think it's kinda cool that he wants to though, I bet it'll be the only Prius out there racing. I wonder what class it would qualify for? HS I think is the lowest. But it would'nt be stock so you'd be in street modified and get crushed. Better to do time only runs.

12. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusstreetracerFTW @ Jun 20 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]273950[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing wrong with having a little fun with your car and auto x ing is very fun.

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sirhc @ Jun 20 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]274125[/snapback]</div>
    Seen the dynos?

It's not overwhelming, but it's got flat HP from 0-100 MPH.

The enginre revs independently of the throttle, so if you keep it floored, the ECU gives you the best it can give you from the combination of the electric and ICE. Because of the way the PSD (power-split device) works (CVT to you), the ICE can held at the top 5K rpm for much of the time you demand from it, and the rest of the power is filled in by electric boost.

14. Sirhc

Sirhc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 20 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]274196[/snapback]</div>
    No..actually I havent seen them yet. Just did a Search but cant find anything.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sirhc @ Jun 20 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]274205[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the one that was lost long ago: http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...mallcopy6eg.jpg

Before people start going crazy over it, the question is how will any car perform if the engine gave you 90% most of the time with a wide power/torque output band? And this engine is "tuned" for maximal economy.

In comparison, here's a Jetta? TDI dyno graph: http://aztdiclub.com/gallery/d/47-1/james.jpg Both are lacking a time-scale to see when things start peaking.

16. priusstreetracerFTW

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 20 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]274196[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't seen any dyno plots either. If you have a few, please post them for everyone. I'm a total n00b with my car in every aspect. Knowledge is power.

At the dealership where I purchased mine, a few of the salesmen were telling me about how the Prius is capable of beating a BMW M3 off the line to 60. It sparked my curiosity, but find it a little hard to believe as I've got a lot of seat time in the 06 M3.

As far as auto x'ing as another person said, it isn't about top end. If anything is going to make the biggest difference it's going to be getting some Azenis or full slicks on the car....followed by suspension and chasis rigidity.

17. Sirhc

Sirhc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 20 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]274228[/snapback]</div>
    Thats actually a very good torque curve...except i was expecting more though.

18. toyo proxes ra-1 rubber

Wow. Enough torque to take an 06 m3. Thats amazing man. Maybe I've been under estimating the potential of this prius vehicle. Though not a drag vehicle in perspective, maybe if someone had the knowledge to equip one with nitruous oxide injection, that certainately would make people think twice.

But then again I'm afraid if you put out too much power on the drivetrain, the CVT won't be able to handle it. Maybe there are performance CVT upgrades for it.

19. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusstreetracerFTW @ Jun 20 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]274262[/snapback]</div>
    Remeber, these salesmen are trying to sell you the car. You should think twice about the things coming out from their mouth. As for beating the M3, the 0-60 spec can be found easily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3. 0-60mph in around 6 sec. So I don't think they are right.

20. priusstreetracerFTW

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 20 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]274321[/snapback]</div>
    I definately know not to trust those guys. I trust them about as far as I can throw them. I'm sure the question has been asked before, but what is the 0-60 time for the Prius?