1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius engine oil analyses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tochatihu, Nov 30, 2005.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    [attachmentid=1150]

Here are the Prius used oil analyses I have seen so far, except Jayman's that I have not added yet. The ones I have done are with Mobil 1 synthetic. There is a virgin oil analysis included here for 5W30, but not 0W20.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tochatihu:

Thank you for the spreadsheet of the used oil analysis. It's interesting my Na was so high, but the wear metals so low. Do you know if those were older Prius or a +2004?

I just mailed off the Mobil 1 0W-20 for a virgin analysis, expect the results in a week or two. For convenience I'll keep using Toromont Cat, but they don't test all the items Blackstone does.

Feel free to incorporate my used oil analysis and the virgin analysis of the Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-30.

jay

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So what’s it all mean?
    What’s the bottom line?
    How does Mobile One compare to dino oil? Any Prius/dino used oil analysis to compare?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would say that the bottom line so far is that Prius engines do not release wear metals to the engine oil. You can see many other much higher numbers for example at the "Bob is the oil guy" web site.

The only new model prius in the chart so far is Tadashi's, and it is also the only one with conventional (dino) oil. Jock is in Germany using a very different oil chemistry. May or may not be synthetic.

The primary values of engine oil analysis I would say are to see long term changes in one particular engine, or to determine whether a particular batch of oil has deteriorated to the extent that it needs to be changed.

Hope this gets a few other folks in the mood to get oil analysis done!