1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius engine problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pyrotalk, Mar 21, 2016.

1. pyrotalk

pyrotalk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello

I own a 2010 Prius II and have been very happy so far until i got the dreaded check engine light. Short summary, burning oil at near 150,000. Paid to have the ignition switch, oil sensor and spark plugs changed but didnt solve problem. They are telling me that eventually, i will need to replace the engine but like everyone knows, that might happen tomorrow or in two years. I read couple of threads of toyota burning oil but never occured that it will happen that soon plus there are too many fan boys that will quelch any negative press. Anyway, it is a good car, there couple of things that i loved and others that i despise. I test drove the 2016 Prius and is basically looks the same except a lithium battery, auto lights, and back cameras, all insignificant for drivers like myself, well, good for toyota pockets. I would like them to increase the ground clearance, dark small hatchback window, uncomfy seats, flimsy benders, but loved the mpg nonetheless.
    Well, i was wondering what would you recommend a single 40 yr old in northern nj. My list is subaru legacy, honda civic. Any other options?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not the same at all. how much oil are you burning? it sounds like the dealer is enjoying what's in your wallet.

3. pyrotalk

pyrotalk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think 1 quart every 1,500 miles. I have attached a picture in my previous posts a few months ago. Is up to a point that I am loosing mpg barely get 30 mpg and the gas pedal rattles so prefer to trade it before I have more shop visits. At least resale value is near $5k. But I am disheartened to get another Prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i understand, but how can you pay a dealer to replace the ignition switch, oil sensor and spark plugs, if they didn't solve the problem?

also, not sure why you're asking for a prius alternative on a prius forum.:p no doubt you'll get some suggestions. there must be some makes that don't develop major problems by 150k.

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just an alert, you're in the wrong sub-forum. The 2010 is a Gen 3, the type II denotes the package. You might get better mechanical answers in the right place.