1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius engine surge problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sigint17, Mar 12, 2009.

1. sigint17

sigint17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a bit less than 2000 miles on my new Prius. I decided to drive from the valley up to Donner Summit [about 7,500 feet altitude]. When I reached about 6,000 feet [I was in CRUISE mode] the car seemed to lose power and the engine seemed to be surging. I took it out of CRUISE mode. Still same problem. I took the next exit and as soon as i started downhill the surge problem ended. I called the service manager and he said he could only check this out by taking the car up to 6000 feet again. This is about a 140 mile round trip so I doubt this will happen.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Otherwise the car seems to work fine but the fabled gas mileage is rubbish.

The car gets about an average of 40 to 44 mpg, which sure beats our Honda CR-V but I expected better. I traded a 20 year old Acura LS so driving the Prius hybrid is a really great experience. Great turning radius and very comfortable. Now if I can deal with the surge!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering whether you had a chance to look at the traction battery state-of-charge gauge? My guess is that the SOC was quite low so the engine was trying to power the vehicle while recharging the battery, and did not have sufficient power to do both.

The US EPA mileage estimate is 46 combined mpg so your mileage is not that far off, depending upon your mix of highway/city driving, whether you routinely have lots of hills to climb, etc.

If you want to improve your realized mpg there are a few things you can do to the car, like increase tire pressure, ensure that wheel alignment is correct, make sure that there's no rear brake drag, etc. This may also require modification to the way that you drive; if you are interested there are numerous posts on the subject.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Having driven my car several times up to Tahoe and high elevation, my guess is also that the SOC (state of charge) of the battery was low after climbing to the summit. The car responds by trying to charge the battery and provide more power simultaneously. I have had the same thing happen under similar circumstances. Its not an elevation issue, its a battery low SOC issue.

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The gas engine is fairly low horsepower, so the Prius uses the electric motor to boost power on uphill climbs. Once the battery is exhausted, it uses the gas engine entirely, so the engine will race and you'll have less power.

5. sigint17

sigint17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The answers I received from Patrick and Dogfriend make sense so I believe that is what happened. The next question is whether it is safe to just keep going under these circumstances. Or, is there anything I can do to see that the battery is charged? Any suggestions will be welcome.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You aren't hurting the car (the ECU will only allow the SOC to get down to 40%) but you are seeing the effect of the car's programming to only allow the SOC to get to 40%. If you slow down, you won't drain the battery as quickly on the steeper parts.

BTW, I have also seen this behavior when I took my car in for an alignment and the tech wanted to leave the car in N while it was on the rack for about an hour. The battery cannot charge with the transaxle in N, so with the other electrical loads, the battery was drained down to the purple bars (about 40%) on the MFD. Same high revving behavior and lack of power for a few minutes after I left the alignment shop.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's completely normal. The engine revs up to provide the required power after the battery is (temporarily) used up. Do not be afraid to floor the gas pedal: the engine will roar but, again, that is completely normal. The computers will not allow the engine to redline. No, you don't have to do anything special to recharge the battery, it manages itself. Yes, there are hills which a Prius cannot climb at 80 MPH :_>

The one thing you might need to do on the way down is, if you find yourself riding the brake, shift to "B". This is only to avoid the possibility of overheating the brakes, it has nothing to do with managing the battery. "B" will reduce MPGs in normal driving, so don't forget to shift back to "D" at the bottom of the hill. If there is no need to ride the brake then just stay in "D".

There's a zillion other threads on improving MPGs.

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've driven down from Donner Summit to the valley (right past the turnoff for Lincoln) and I didn't bother using "B" mode. I have used B mode less than a half dozen times in 26k+ miles.

The downhill parts are where you get the best mileage. Here is what I got from Echo Summit to Kyburz on US 50:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• mpg.jpg
      mpg.jpg
      File size:
      36.2 KB
      Views:
  9. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Others here have explained what happened and why it happened. Let me confirm that it had absolutely nothing to do with altitude, so the statement by the service manager is just smoke. I have frequently driven my Prius at altitudes higher than 9000 feet with no difficulty at all.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it had to do with altitude to the extent that climbing a hill requires much more power than proceeding on flat terrain. But I agree that if the battery SOC is at an acceptable level, then the Prius works fine at high altitudes. I've also driven my 2004 at 9,000 ft. elevation without difficulty.

11. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The change of altitude and rate-of-change of altitude are relevant, because they can affect the state of charge of the battery (because they affect how much power is required). The absolute altitude, not much.

12. sigint17

sigint17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks to all those who provided me with feedback on this "problem". I think the altitude only affected it [sic] because it was a steady uphill climb from about sea level to over 6,000 feet and the battery never got to charge. As for MPG, I really have no complaints. If I were to believe the consumption screen I got about 38 MPG as I climbed to 6,000 feet and about NINETY mpg on the way down. I think the worst MPG I have gotten between refills is about 36 MPG and the best about 48. Of course this varies with the type of driving I am doing. I accelerate slower when I leave a red light then my wife does, so I might get a bit better MPG then when she drives. In any event I love the Prius and my next car [if I live long enough - I'm 70] will be a Prius. I trust Toyota and Honda, and over the years have learned, sorry to say, never buy American.

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly not, because engines are most efficient near full load. While just ticking over a larger fraction of their output is needed to overcome frictional losses.

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The Prius engine has good efficiency from about 1900 to 2300 RPM. If your battery SOC is about 60 % then an accelleration without battery will occur in a warmed-up Prius at about 2000 rpm. Going higher than that and the car will use progressively more battery to assist.

So, I tend to accellerate around 2000 RPM, which is olive drab green to orange on my add-on dashboard. This is an accelleration sometimes faster, sometimes slower than other cars.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha: if it's happening in an '09, it's not a software issue in
    the earlier NHW20s. I detailed this same problem I had when heading
    for Denver last summer, also on a couple of steady climbs over the
    big passes. It's fine to say "the car works fine AT higher altitudes",
    but we need to consider what happens in the process of getting TO
    higher altitudes particularly at [attempted] rates that are going to
    make it draw down the battery faster than the already-gasping-for-air
    engine can replenish *while* also hauling the car uphill.
    Not only does thinner air make the engine have to work harder and
    rev higher for a given production of kilowatts, there may also be
    some pressure effects on the NiMH battery cells that reduces their
    amp-hour capacity somewhat.
    None of this means there's anything wrong with the car, and this is
    a good opportunity to go back and educate those dealer techs about
    what anyone should *EXPECT* from the system under these conditions.
    And anyone that simply floors it up the big hills shouldn't expect
    anything like good fuel economy, in any vehicle. There's no harm in
    choosing to climb more slowly, it's just a tradeoff.
    _H*

16. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you have a picture going up? ;):D

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I seem to have misplaced that one. ;)