1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius engine type...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mino54, Apr 6, 2008.

1. mino54

mino54 junior member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hi all;does anyone know what type of gas engine the prius has?
    OTTO. ATKINSON ,WENKEL. et,et.

thank you
    mino54

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Atkinson

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    F8L is right, but it also has VVT-i, or Variable Valve Timing-intelligent, which controls the timing between intake and exhaust valve opening. That can change the characteristics of the Atkinson ICE over a wide range of compression values.

4. mino54

mino54 junior member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thank you F8L , Bill; I bought one several months ago love the car thou its a bit clumsy at freeway speeds i think the remedy is better tires and suspension will look into getting repair manuals for the prius at the dealer and aftermarket, internet.
    best regards
    mino54

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bill. I wasn't sure how to explain the VVT-i very well so I thought it best to leave that out so I didn't fumble the information. lol

Mino54, do some searching in here and you'll find that most people feel new tires, or properly inflated stock tires, cures most of the freeway driving issues. Some believe the BT stiffening plate helps as well.

6. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're welcome, F8L. VVT-i as it is used by the Prius Atkinson engine is something I'm still learning about. It's such a technological marvel!

Mino54, the best place to get tech info is from Toyota's Technical Information System. If you buy a 1 day pass on a Friday, you can download a lot of material by Monday. While the cross referencing isn't the greatest, searching a PDF is a lot easier than flipping pages.

7. iLLa Prius

iLLa Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    VVT-I is in alot of older Toyota(Lexus) Motors. My car has the 2JZ-GE, Theres also a turbo version with slighlty dif internals, and compression which is turbo charged (2JZ-GTE). There are plenty of turboed 2JZ-GE's out there made with some professional kits and throw together kits. I Doubt that adding a turbo would do any good since it seems that the electric motors do most of the work and that the ICE motor is more like an industrial motor to generate power and charge the batteries. VVT-I is kind of along the same concept as Honda's V-TEC.

8. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not to hijack this thread too much, but if you're interested, Hobbit has a good discussion of VVT-i. Here's a sample pic to mull:
    [​IMG]

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the freeway handling, many including myself have found satisfaction by adding a BT-Tech stiffening plate, upgrade tires, and confirming a good four wheel alignment.

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with Larry, but the order should be alignment, tires, BT Tech plate, in my opinion. If you're out of alignment, nothing else helps. If your wheels are aligned, but your tires don't grip the road, you need better tires. If you still don't like how the car handles, the stiffening plate helps, I believe.

11. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    damn back up at this time frequently makes double posts