1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius exemption from Londn Congestion Charge in doubt?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wooski, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius exemption from London Congestion Charge in doubt?

Looks like Volvo in the UK is attacking the notion that the Prius should have exception of the London Congestion Charge. It will be very interesting to see how Transport For London and the London Mayor respond to this.

I would actually say that the benefits of hybrids to non hybrids in heavy inner city traffic is more than the CO2 figure indicates:

1. When traffic stops the enginer cuts off in a hybrid, so emmitting no CO2.

2. Petrol engines emit far lower NOX and other pollution than small diesals (which make up most of the new wave of sub 100g cars being released in Europe at the moment).

I'm sure Toyota GB will have plenty to say on this issue.

Here is the question and answer from the last London Mayer's questions on this topic (question to the Mayor in bold):

Will you be taking up Volvo’s challenge to review the regulations that govern which cars are exempt from Congestion Charging, given that at the end of 2008, there were 13 non-hybrid models in the total UK car market that fell below the 105g/km threshold for CO2 emissions typical of the exempt hybrid cars? Or will you be looking at the issue of emissions charging in the centre of London separately? – Mike Tuffrey

I have already asked TfL to undertake a full review of Congestion Charging discounts and exemptions, and they will be reporting to me on this later in the year. Please refer to MQT1473/2009.

I have also responded to Volvo to that effect. It is appropriate to keep the criteria for Congestion Charging under review and consider the effects of changes in vehicle technology, as well as the range of other calls for changes to the discounts and exemptions available. I will consider this matter fully when I have the results of TfL’s review later this year.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is TfL?
    I would hope the exemption would allow diesels but they would be required to meet a maximum NOx emissions similar to that of a petrol engined vehicle with the same low CO2 emissions. This will not only reduce emissions of CO2 in London, but will provide manufacturers of diesel cars to develop systems to reduce NOx emissions.
    Maybe there could be a trade off, say diesels with 50% of the allowed CO2 emissions could have double the NOx emissions of a complying petrol vehicle.
    Works for me.

3. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TFL is Transport For London.

The UK is in trouble with the EU about NOX emissions, and most of the locations with the worst levels are in London. Buses and trucks are the biggest issue, but the big increase in diesal cars won't have helped either. I can't see how exempting small diesal's (like the recently announced Peugeot 207 Economique and the VW Polo Bluemotion) will help. TFL and the Mayor are looking to move the whole London bus fleet (over 8,000 vehicles) to diesal hybrid.

To be honest they never should have gotten rid of the trolley buses out of London in the early 1960's, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not go to Compressed natural gas? Almost the entire adelaide bus fleet runs on CNG. Cleaner and quieter than any form of diesel, hybrid or otherwise.

5. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A