1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Exhaust Mods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 240sxer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

***First of all I don't want to hear about how nobody should put aftermarket exhaust on their Prius. People can do whatever they want. This is to discuss the exhaust itself not weather or not it should be used. ***

There are a few exhaust options for the Prius, the only two I know about are the Gandor and the Tom's exhaust. I'm just curious is there is any mileage improvement or decrease with the exhaust. Also what it sounds like. Loud, quiet, etc?

I know the ICE isn't always running but honestly people it's running more often then it's not when the car is in use. I've got 44k miles on my 2006. I'm just thinking about getting some exhaust to make it look and sound slightly cooler. I don't want rims because I actually like the stockers and I wouldn't want to see my MPG drop.

Sezy likes this.
  2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An aftermarket exhaust should be an improvement over the current stock one. Not sure if anyone has changed their exhaust here, but, I too, would like to know what it sounds like. The current exhaust sound sounds so econobox-ish.

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 23 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]501238[/snapback]</div>
    Sound is a bit louder. Whether it is objectionable or not is a personal decision. Just don't look for hp and ft/lbs. increases from a cat-back on the Prius.

4. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've actually been thinking about it lately also, but havent gotten too serious about it. On my previous cars I've always had the exhaust custom made, never a premade kit. uh, nm, I had the megan kit on my tC. But if I were to put exhaust on the prius, I'd just get it custom made. It would probably be a lot cheaper.
    Nice 240 btw. Just out of curiosity, how do you go from rollin vipers & vets to a 240 and a prius?

5. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I'd probably get custom exhaust also. Only car of mine i've ever put exhaust on is the 240. The vette and viper you really don't gain much power with exhaust, just headers. I didn't want to go smog illegal so I never even did long tubes. Just left em stock. But a decent little can seems like it would be nice in the prius. I'd probably get a 1 piece unit made so I could store the stock exhaust to go back to if I ever want to. Maybe i'll be the one to finally break thorough and put an exhaust on the prius for everyone to listen to.....

I just sold the z06 a month ago, I had the other one before that and sold it for the faster (more reliable) corvette. I'm 25 and i've made a lot of money for my age. I've always had the 240sx, i have soooo much money in that car. 2jz 700whp th400 trans, etc. etc. But it does really good on pump gas even. But i'm slowly trying to be better with money, that's why I recently sold the Corvette (I realllly didn't want to but I just never drove it so it). It was the Vette and 240 just sitting in the garage 99% of their life doing nothing, now it's just the 240 and junk managed to take the other spot I slated for the prius. FYI Viper was only high 40k range and vette mid 30k range so it's not exactly bill gates budget. I lived at home with my daddy and drove a viper :rolleyes: (not a good daily driver fyi)

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I've said to various friends when the "ricing" topic has come up,
    "what good is the fart-can when the ENGINE isn't running?"
    _H*

7. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 23 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]501378[/snapback]</div>

I don't know about you but I have 44k miles on my 06. I know how often the engine is running and I'd say it's about 90%+ of the time. Please just shut up if you don't have anything good to add to the topic. If you just think putting exhaust on a bone stock car is ricing you are crazy.

8. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lmao

owned.

Oh ya, and not all custom/after market exhaust has to be the $89 fart cans from autozone.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Aug 23 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]501401[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiosity, what kind of duty cycle are you running that results in 90% application of the ICE? Exclusively freeway travel? Or????

10. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Aug 23 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]501236[/snapback]</div>
    Well, tough, you're going to hear from me!

Hopefully it is quiet, very quiet.

I must be old school but any engine with less than eight cylinders <strike>deserves</strike> should be clammed up. Even the four bangers at the speedway sound awful.

It would be hard to believe the engineers of the Prius designed the exhaust to be restrictive enough to affect mileage vs. an after-market free flow exhaust. Even if an after-market exhaust did slightly improve mileage I would imagine the return on investment would be negative with regards to fuel saved over the life to the car. Besides, a used car salesman friend of mine once remarked nearly any item that is not stock on a automobile negatively affects the resale value. Especially with performance related items. The buyer then assumes the car was driven hard throughout its life.

Jeez, nothing like the pissy, whiny, fart can spitting sound of a four cylinder engine under load to get my adrenalin pumping... Ughhh, it's painful to even imagine it on a Prius...

Rick
    #4 2006

11. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bicycled past a Lamborghini the other day (yah, he was stuck in traffic and not moving any faster than any one else). His exhaust was not really loud, but OMIGOD the tone. It sounded like 32-ft organ pipes in there. Now if I can make my Prius sound like that, I would upgrade my exhaust. Probably easier to wire some external speakers and patch in a digital sample of the Lam.

1 person likes this.
  12. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Okay. Once again I don't care about peoples opinions of exhaust. If you don't think it'll give power because stock is best you are crazy. Stock is designed to give the best compromise of quietness and power. Do you think if the Prius engineers determined that it would be most efficient running open header they would? Even if putting mufflers on removed 10hp? Insanity. Don't pretend to understand something you don't.

I travel most of the time on the freeway at 70mph or so. In those conditions the ice is ALWAYS on. Just as it's also ALWAYS on when you are at 55mph, and most likely to be on at 45mph also. THE PRIUS IS A HYBRID NOT AN ELECTRIC CAR. IT HAS A GAS ENGINE THAT IS ON QUITE OFTEN. I know this because I have one. If yours aren't on too often because you run some special circumstance than that's good for you. But I'd say if you were to put a timer on all the Prius in the world to see how often the ICE Is running compared to how often the car is on you'll get a number in excess of 80%. I'm sorry if the reality is harsh. Even if the ICE is not doing a lot of work on is on.

Anyway, what I didn't want to happen is happening!!

About the resale, I'm not looking at selling my Prius anytime soon. And if you bothered looking at what I wrote before posting your unwanted comments you'd see that I was talking about putting an exhaust which would bolt on the stock catalytic converter which would enable you to PUT THE STOCK EXHAUST BACK ON if needbe.

I'm going to put exhaust on my Prius and see how it works and sounds. I'll report back. Anyone else have exhaust that can give suggestions?

NortTexSalv04Prius and Tommy@SAF like this.
  13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I was to get an exhaust tomorrow, I'd get a Tom's exhaust because all the other Tom's stuff is pretty good... plus if you get Tom's then we'd have someone to give us a review of the exhaust note :D

14. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Maybe the Ganador Exhaust System also. I like the way it looks a bit more than the toms. I'm still favoring just a custom though.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a JOKE, son. A JOKE. Get over your tiny little self.
    _H*

16. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

teeny tiny

17. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i respect hobbit's opinion about what the prius represents, but i also respect 240sx'er feel for speed and therefore lack of in the prius.

looking at sigmaauto i notice some nice exhaust systems that actually IMO look better than stock, even if it looks double it sure doesn't mean you would get double hp (one can dream!!) but hey some do it for the looks, but what I found interesting is the hp/torque gains specified by the maker.

Of course anything sells these days, but if THEY do work i'd get one in a heartbeat, they are not as expensive as I thought, and the ability to sneak by the neighborhood without waking anyone up (EV MODE) is an added perk if you don't want to piss anyone off.

and then when your on the main road, let the engine scream in its efficient power band ... for me anyways! :p

unfortunately most these claimed gains are in high redline end rpm, which renders that add-on for me a low rpm lover useless :(

although i must admit, if toyota offered the regular yaris engine (30 + horse) into the touring version of the prius, i bet toyota would have sold more priuses easily. Who the jumbo is doing the marketing? I bet you the mileage figures wouldn't change a bit, look at the Nissan Altima Hybrid for pete's sake and explain that!!! matching the camry hybrid in city but having 20 plus more horsepower! I rather have that 30 plus horsepower ANYDAY because i PERSONALLY will run the engine in its efficient rpm and let HSD shut it off for me or I with my EV mode switch. Kind of werid to offer a more sporty feel to the touring and not offer the echo engine although funny as it sounds toyota themselfs admit when making the racing prius and bolting the echo engine on, they saw no different in mileage. PErsonally I think the 20% in mileage gain is not worth the loss of 30% of extra horsepower espically if we always run the engine in its efficent powerband and not restriciting it to pumping losses.

I in person saw a guy dismantling the wires off MG1 and MG2 and the thing was literally was on a work bench with the engine still attached to it, when I learn the ropes of the trade, I'm going to nab one of those echo engines and show its possible to have the best of both worlds. Unless the Enerdel battery upgrade comes first, then i'll get that first ;)

btw I will pwn j00z in gt5 prologue

18. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a tiny, econo-box type engine, on steroids and strung out as far as it can comfortably be tweaked. If you want muscle-car sound, supercharge a large small-block V8 and put one-chamber mufflers under it on 3" pipes :D

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so mate. Most modern V8s rev harder and it produces a tiny 57kw from 1.5 litres while the Yaris produces 80kw from the same capacity. Not what I call strung out!

20. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Before spending any money on a "free flowing" exhaust, it would be very beneficial to first attempt to measure exhaust backpressure of the stock system using a manometer.

It could be that the stock system is quite adequate!

If you look over at autospeed.com, they have multiple intake/exhaust articles where they accurately measure the before/after restriction of intake/exhaust mods.

If you're looking for performance, this is the proper way to do it so that you can qualify your performance gains.

1 person likes this.