1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius exterior colors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ml194152, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Lets face it, NONE of the Prius colors are any good. I had to choose from what I consider the least of all evils. I chose Seaside. And I'm not really that happy with it. But I really wish Toyota would give us at least ONE bright color like a yellow or orange or maybe a beautiful bright sky blue.

You know, not everyone likes dull colors! So why give only a choice of dull colors? Its not fair!

2. peart75

peart75 New Member

i beg to differ. i love the tideland pearl color.

sorry you feel differently. maybe next time you could state your opinion in a kinder way?

thanks,
    -drew

3. tntna

tntna New Member

We weren't too kean with the black and white, but the other colors are ok.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The answer to why we only get "dull" colors lies with the target audience of this car. The Prius range of colors is similar to that of the Camry and the Siena minivan. If you want vibrant and exciting colors in a Toyota you have to look at a model intended for younger buyers, like the Celica and Matrix.

I bought a white Prius with gray interior; I like the combination al lot, but then I'm 52, married, with a family... get the point?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seaside Pearl looks pretty bright too me :) There's no losing it in any car park, no matter how hard you try.

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think my Driftwood Pearl is anything but dull... I guess you could always go to MACCO or Earl Scheib... I'm sure you could find a bright color and have a one of a kind Prius as well.... take pictures for the rest of us..

Bob Andersen

7. fred

fred New Member

hey! hey! hey!. dull my butt! my black is beautiful and gives it kind of a "gangsta" look ; especially since ive removed those sillyass halos from my wheels. oh how wild ive become!

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Dull was the wrong word. The original poster most likely meant pastel, conservative or neutra,l in comparison with strong, dramatic and eye-catching, as in bright red, yellow and deep blue. Prius colors are nice, you could even call them beautiful, but striking and exciting they were not meant to be.

9. dianacs

dianacs New Member

I too wish brighter colors were available. Just my preference.

10. fred

fred New Member

well!! mine is BRIGHT black!!!!hurumphhh! :guns:

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would have wanted some of the choices the classic had. i really liked a few of the ones ive seen. much brighter for sure

12. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I'm happy for those of you who really love the color of your Prius. In fact, I want that for all of us.

My point is that I think there is a big segment of Prius owners who, like me, are somewhat disappointed in the choice of colors. Why? Because the Prius colors currently cater only to people who like subdued colors. I'm asking Toyota to be more fair and include at least one bright color (but not bright red, please, you see that color everywhere as it is). And I don't mean bright as in Seaside Blue. That is not bright enough. Sure you can see Seaside in a parking lot - but that parking lot is full of subdued colors that are meant to blend into the background. That does not mean Seaside is bright.

When you say the other colors are OK or nice, that to me is not much of an endorsement. Its like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. Nobody wants to state the obvious. A lot of us don't like the lack of bright colors Toyota is giving us to choose from. Toyota is only going to give us those bright colors if we stand up and ask for it. So don't be afraid to say "I don't care for the color of my Prius!".

I've seen people tout how the pearl colors of the Prius change shade according to the weather. That may be good for them, but I don't want my color to change. I want it to be bright, beautiful, and cheerful in any kind of weather.

You should be passionate about the color of your car! Toyota can do much better than this.

By the way, to the other poster, I am 49, married, and with a family. So no, I don't get the point. There is nothing that says you have to like certain colors if you have certain characteristics (i.e. you have to be young to like bright colors). Its called valuing diversity. What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Boy... we'd never have made it when Henry rolled out the first Model T and said.. "You can have any color as long as it's black"... BUT like I said earlier there is always MAACO or Earl... for $29.95 they'll paint it any color you want..

Bob Andersen

14. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I agree! I ordered the red salsa, because at least it has some zip to it. But what I'd really love is that lime green color you see on a lot of the new VW Beetles. (Though I'm told that the 2005 VW bugs are now in pastel colors.) I want my car to stand out, so when I park it in a big lot, I'll be able to find it :mrgreen:

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there was a pretty cool green that the Prius classics had

16. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"53304)</div>
    I'd like to see it. Does anyone have a photo?

17. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd like to see it. Does anyone have a photo?[/quote]

take a look at John's site.. Brian has a green Classic

http://john1701a.com/

Bob Andersen

18. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My point is that before a car manufacturer decides what colors to use on a car they consider the nature of the car and the general characteristics of is likely audience. Toyota apparently came to the conclusion that the average Prius buyer, like the average Camry and Siena buyer, will not find bright colors very attractive. Obviously, there are exceptions, like yoursely, who like dramatic bright colors, just as I am sure some Matrix and Celica buyers would like to have the some of the colors available in the Prius, but Toyota goes with the profile of the average buyer.

19. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

Great photos on the site! And it's a nice green, but nothing like the VW lime green. As for the colors reflecting the nature of the owners, doesn't Toyota realize that we Prius owners like to show off how "green" we are?

20. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Personally I would LOVE the taxi cab yellow or the RUST orange. :) Not that my color choices are by any means common or that popular.