1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius extra speaker/better sound quality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by djphill, Dec 1, 2008.

1. djphill

djphill Master of The World

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    does anybody know if i can connect this small bass speaker that i have from my house to my prius in any way. It has an RCA connector and also needs to be plugged into a socket. if not does anybody have any cheap/free ways of making the sound quality in the prius better. Right now music on my macbook sounds better than in my car.

:target:

2. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't try to install home speakers in cars - car speakers are typically 4 Ohms impedance, and home speakers 8 Ohms. It can lead to power and heat problems, and potentially ruin your amp. The way I added bass was with a compact car subwoofer that fits under the passenger seat. You have to tap into the speaker wires behind the radio, or at the amp under the passenger seat if you have the 6-CD JBL system. Which stereo do you have?

Here's the sub I bought for about $120:
    http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-Profile-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B000OSZA44

Any further questions and I'll try to help. Some other folks have improved the sound by disconnecting the center dash speaker, if you have it (above the touchscreen under the grille).

3. djphill

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    even though the base is sort of weak that wasn't really my main problem, i want to find a way that to increase sound quality without using that much. I no that is a lot to ask but i'm not really in the position to buy new speakers/sound system for my car. i really just feel like its a shame that my car has to destroy every song that I play on it.
    :mod:

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not much you can do without spending any money other than adjust bass/treble, and disconnect the center speaker if you have one. Or if you use a portable MP3 player, you can adjust the equalizer in it for more sound control.

What specifically do you want to change? Are you getting distortion?

5. djphill

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    its just that the quality isn't that great, like i said it sounds better on my macbook. I knew what i was getting myself into when I got this car, but I was just wondering if there was anything I could do about.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to clarify, it's the other way around: Don't use car speakers on home systems. Other than being a bit redneck, home speakers in a car system won't cause any damage. Home speakers won't be able to make full use of amplifier power due to the higher impedance.

7. pmd

pmd New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    hello -
    i have heard about the disconecting of the center speaker to improve the poor quality of sound reproduction in the prius.... and i am thinking of doing it... but i am wondering if any one knows exactly why this does the trick ?
    anyone.
    thanks paul
    dunedin, fl 34698

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. the center speaker is of poor quality, it adds a dirty element to the sound
    2. it kills the stereo separation effect, making things sound muddier and jumbled together.

(to my ears anyway)

9. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really does help. I did replace my speakers, which has also made a big difference. That cost a few hundred $, BTW. However, I'm still ambivalent about getting a sub and/or signal processor.

10. djphill

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    two things, how do i unplug the center speakers and how could i connect home speaker just to test it out.

11. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What kind of home speaker are you talking about? If it's small enough to fit on the dash, it probably won't sound any better. If it's big enough to have more bass, there won't be enough power output by the factory stereo to drive it loud enough. The factory stereo is only a few watts per channel, less than aftermarket stereos. In any case, just splice the two wires from the factory stereo to the two wires of the replacement speaker. Polarity doesn't matter much, try it both ways and see what sounds better.

12. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A package #2 doesn't have a center speaker. We only have the standard audio system with six speakers.

13. djphill

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ok thanks

14. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So it looks like there's nothing you can do about the sound quality without upgrading the stereo/speakers or adding a sub, which will cost a few hundred at least. It puzzles me how a laptop computer could have better sound than the stock stereo.