1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius feels 'slow' after 30.000km

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frankblack0503, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Frankblack0503

Frankblack0503 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey all,

since a couple of weeks my GEN III feels 'slow'
    let's explain... when i'm driving in normal mode (without the use of any 3 buttons) it feels like the car is driving in eco-mode.
    Been to the dealer but they can't find it and they say it's just fine...
    So now i'm driving constant in power mode, it's killing my consumption but without power mode it's just not the same as before in normal mode.
    Anyone had the same prob with a GEN III ?

KR !

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Checked your tyre pressure? recently had your oil changed? using the same fuel?

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I've had the same feeling with different brands of fuel and even with the same brand from different stations.
    The temperature and/or state of charge of the traction battery seems to affect the pulling power as well.

4. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago. It felt "slow" as if the tires were flat. I checked the pressure a couple of times, but it seemed ok. Finally I went to the garage where they told me that my tires were all worn out. I changed them, measured them (i dont know if thats how its said in english??) and now it feels light as a feather

5. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi -

Did it come on suddenly? Has it been like this over more than one tankful of gasoline? Here in the US, this is the time of year when they reformulate gasoline blends from 'summer' to 'winter' (different set of pollutants they try to minimize--ozone precursors in summer and CO in winter, basically) - do they do anything like that in Belgium or EU in general? Sometimes it is noticeable, especially going summer to winter since they add oxygenates.

How about the air filter? Worth a check, or even just changing it out yourself (if not recently done) since I think they're pretty inexpensive.

You might also consider taking it to a different dealer for a 'second opinion', since it sounds from your description that they should at least be able to notice the issue, if not have an immediate solution for it.

Good luck,
    Tim

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I'd check the air filter, likely any obstruction would cause an error code though. I'd check the tire pressures...try a different brand of fuel...

Might check the alignment, although it would have to be REALLY out to make a difference in the car's power..

7. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just completed a 1900 mile trip. With one tank of brad name gas the milage droped from mid 50s to low 40s. The car seemed to run fine with the exception lower power and less accelleration. The speed, roads, temperature and traffic were about the same. I was concerned that something may have gone wrong. The next tank of gas everything was back to normal. I have no idea if it was lower octane, more alchol or what ever.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like a possible case of the wrong oil being used. Did it happen straight after your 30k service?

I have posted a few threads about this and have even had the dealer swear blind they'd used 0w20 oil when the driving experience showed they hadn't. The service manager did a new oil change in front of me with 0w20 and the car was ok again.

Does the car sound less 'harsh' when cold? I've found it will sound smoother with the thicker oil in and more 'tinny' with 0w20 even when it is new. Does the car lack power in 'power' mode?

Toyota UK dealers have had internal memos and belletins about making sure they use 0w20 and nothing else in the gen3/2010 Prius. Apparantly some were using the service schedule for the gen2 and some were just sticking in 5w30 because thats all they had in and hey, oil is oil who's gonna notice.

Let me know if this could be the answer to your problems?