1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Fog Lamps Lens Cracking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Claude, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Claude

Claude New Member

Hi Prius Owners,

Both my fog lamp lens have cracks. They look like they are from the inside due to heat. Dearler says no, cracks are from road rocks. Since there is no signs of rock chips I find it hard to belive.

Anybody elese have cracked fog lamp lenses?

Thanks
    Claude

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep. both of mine are. but... i have a lot of incidents where i scrape the front of my car. So.. the lower front looks like crap and two cracked lenses to match.

no chips though.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you get new ones, you could have clear bra installed over them. (I did this on mine).

Nate

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is at least one other long thread on here on this.

It seems they do crack from thermal stress, and the most cases were reported in cold weather when it's logical that cold slush or splash onto hot lenses would result in sudden shock.

However, like my melting tail lights, I haven't heard anything formal from Toyota on the problem.

The only people I have noticed reporting on it are saying that the initial dealer reaction is "Must have caught a rock".

If you do take it to the dealer, please report back.

We may need to get organized if this is common so they can't ignore us one by one :)

With the melting tail lights it's a little harder to blame on externals. The dealer already said they'd replace them anytime but I'm waiting for a little to see if Toyota comes out with a re-design that may prevent a recurrence.

5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine were broken within a couple weeks of purchase. My local dealer (from whom I did not even by the Prius) said that they would replace them under warranty as they could not find any indication that there was a rock, etc. involved in the damage.

I told them that it is a fairly common problem, and referenced this forum. They have ordered the parts and will call me when they are in to arrange for replacement. I trust they will be true to their word.

RG

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, if we're taking a poll, I have one too. Can't say as I care much, since they don't seem to be useful anyway.

7. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This was a common problem with my bmw 325 during the cold rainy days. BMW would replace them if you say it was cracked due to cold water spalshing to the fog light. After a couple of replacements, I drive without fog lights. I might do the same with my Prius after warranty runs out.