1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius For College Son

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by debrasnell, Oct 20, 2007.

1. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

We picked up a 2004 Prius for our college son. He's currently out of country learning Arabic but when he comes home for the second semester, we're turning the car over to him.

What is the most basic information we should tell him about the car before turning it loose with him? He's almost 20 - a decent driver (having only hit a deer early in his driving experience) but is only somewhat good at checking tire pressure, etc. (I'm always reminding him to check oil, tires, etc. He does it when I remind him but he is hyper focused on school.)

Any advice? what are the bare essentials he should know about this car? What are the things I should be gently nagging him about?
    Thanks,
    Debra

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Permanently emboss "PRIUSCHAT.COM" onto the dash for him.
    Nothing really to tell him.
    For some basic starter stuff go to http://John1701a.com and download the User Guide that John has written up there. Covers all the basics of what the displays mean, maintenance stuff, tire pressure recs, etc.

Finally, will you be my mom?!

3. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 20 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]528325[/snapback]</div>

Hehehehe! Yes, it was a splurge at 16K BUT he's truely going to be in school for a long time. He's studying to be a Middle East Expert - has been to Palestine and Israel three times. Worked at Taco Bell to save the money and spent months in refugee camps, traveling alone at 17 years old. Now he is studying Arabic at University in Petra, Jordan and teaching Middle East History in English to Elementary School students and volunteering for the Red Crescent Society... "Mom, this is the most beautiful place on Earth..." (Do a goggle image search on Petra, Jordan. He just may be right.)

He's headed for Georgetown next year. He works hard and I wanted a car that would take him through school. This car has 37,000 miles on it and it's his "dream car".

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the user guide is pretty useful.

First thing? DON'T stare at the screen lol. Get used to the car first before glancing at the screen for extra info.

5. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

let him know horsepower is not how you get girls' attention anymore..its how green you are...:p

he should be fine...is this his first car? if not then basically he's good to go...if it's his first...even better...the power from prius is more than enough compared to some small engine gear shifting cars and yet is slow in its own way that you know your son can't really "race" the car....good luck..

second on...can you be my mom?

6. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 21 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]528359[/snapback]</div>

What is great advice. Thanks. Just what I'm looking for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Oct 21 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]528370[/snapback]</div>
    Not his first car. Believe me, he isn't into horsepower. (He's learning Arabic, remember? He wants to save the world. LOL!)

7. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debrasnell @ Oct 20 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]528328[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. You are quite a lucky and, I think, brave mom.

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything he needs to really know is already in the user manual/maintenance booklet that comes with the car.

I'd just say this: Drive it like a normal car, don't worry about energy going back and fourth unless you want to improve your driving skills. When that time comes, he is always welcome at PriusChat, as well as all the many other treasure-troves of knowledge to be plundered and shared on the Internet :)

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just tell him from all of us he is lucky to have such a great mum and good luck with the studies and all the hard work.

The Prius is pretty much like any other car to own, services on time and change the oil in the transmission before 60,000 miles, and if he keeps the tyres pumped up to 42/40PSI he will get a MPG reward.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm gonna say you're obviously a great mom and not just because you bought the guy a car. you taught him the value of hard work!

it gets harder as you go (said from year 7 of post-HS education :blink:) and with all those college loans and little time to work while studying, the car will be a much appreciated gift. i know.

my advice? just drive it. really. if he has problems, he can come here. if he wants to maximize mpg, he can come here. pretty much anything he might want to know is here. but in its most basic use? just drive it.

good luck :)

11. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 21 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]528449[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks to all for your replies. I feel better now. I have been hanging out on these frums and was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake - not because of the car - rather because of our son. It was seeming so technical.

Here's a photo of Max in Palestine at 17 years old.

[attachmentid=12150] [attachmentid=12150]

Attached Files:

12. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debrasnell @ Oct 21 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]528490[/snapback]</div>
    No, he'll be fine. I have a basic understanding of how the car works but I can't explain it with any great detail or technical knowledge. Over time he'll learn how to maximize his MPG and drive the car to the best of its abilities. He shouldn't expect his MPG to be what the EPA says, depending on how much he drives. I drive about 9 blocks to school before 8 am(and now its cold, so the ICE runs more), so my mileage is down to 38-40 from its usual of 53.

I think you made a great choice for him! He'll just love driving it!

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the owner's manual *and* the maintenance schedule, and read and follow both.