1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius-friendly soft-sided car-top carrier?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarshaBB, Jul 10, 2007.

1. MarshaBB

MarshaBB New Member

I've browsed the archives, hoping to find an answer to my question, but I haven't found one. (If it turns out that I haven't used the optimal search terms and this topic has indeed already been addressed before, then I apologize! Please point me to where I should look.)

I own a 2005 Prius (which I adore!) and have been very happy with its carrying capacity. In a few weeks I'll be going on a two-week trip that requires more gear than can fit in the car itself (with passengers, too), so I need another storage solution.

I've read several excellent suggestions in here for using roof-rail systems with a Prius, but I want to avoid the expense of such an arrangement, since I need this extra storage only once per year or so. I should mention that I plan to put only clothing (no heavy stuff) on the roof, so the weight load shouldn't be an issue.

Lots of soft-sided car-top carriers are available online; most of them attach with four webbing straps, each ending in a coated metal "hook" thingy (sorry to resort to hyper-technical terms!) that fits in the door frame. But I haven't been able to find one that specifies it is suitable for a Prius.

My question is this: Does anyone have suggestions for using a soft-sided car-top carrier on a Prius without roof rails?

2. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think any bag that is designed to be used w/o rails would be fine. AFAIK their is nothing tricky about the position of the doors that wouldn't allow you to use one of these Sherpak or Kanga bags but I think your head might be rubbing the strap for 2 weeks possibly creating a bald spot :p If you can find one that doesn't loop all the way through both doors and just clips under the door channels I think that would be the way to go.

That being said here is my experience with soft carriers. First, be advised that most of these are "weather resistant" and NOT "waterproof". If they offer a rain cover option it would be a worthwhile insurance policy. I bought a Thule Quest carrier (used with rails) and returned it as soon as I got home from the trip. After just a light rain most of the contents were damp. Also the interior coating started peeling off due to a few not so soft items I had stored in there (small stroller etc). Also since it wasn't completely full the extra fabric as well as any loose straps were flapping around causing a lot of noise. Personally I would never use a soft carrier again given other options. Unfortunately the Prius isn't perfect. We have a second car (Subaru Legacy wagon) with a roof rack which we have had to use for trips requiring extra capacity.

3. MarshaBB

MarshaBB New Member

Thanks so much for your reply, Bohous! Your point about the (lack of) waterproofedness of those carriers is especially well taken!