1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Fuel Tank Bladder Damage - What can cause it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RGressick, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RGressick

RGressick New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my 2007 Prius just went into the shop on Tuesday, the engine was misfiring.
    So i am thinking, because of the way it was misfiring, it was bad fuel. The problem got a little more involved than that.
    After the dealership getting it wrong the first time, the now have to replace the entire fuel tank assemble.
    They believe that it was possibly from something in the fuel was eating away at my bladder that caused the bladdre bits to clog up my fuel system.
    So i already just paid a 1000 dollar bill, and now going to pay another 1000 to replace the injectors and the tank.

But i am curcious if anyone else has delt with this issues before?
    COuld it be from constantly over filling the tank caused it to dry rot and stretch? Is it an additive in the fuel that did it. (I bought a lot of Speedway gas)?

I am very upset because i am super broke now on trying to get my car fixed and just putting out money in parts galore.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Overfilling is death to the bladder. You mention it yourself, are you not stopping when the gas pump says stop?!

There have been a couple, all of whom overfilled the tank as far as I am aware. Nothing to do with dry-rot though.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ask the service department for the diagnostic trouble codes and post them here. The most common cause of a single cylinder misfire is the spark coil pack.

If they got it wrong the first time, what makes you think that they have it right now?

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Also , what did the dealership initially do for a misfire that cost $1,000. ?