1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Fun Factors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Apr 14, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's been said that the Prius is not a "fun factor" car. so what's everyone think? yes? no?

if so, what is your Prius fun factor?

if not, why not?

just curious....

2. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 14 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]239984[/snapback]</div>
    When people ask me how I like my Prius, I usually respond that it's a lot of fun. O.K., I confess to being a geek. How many other engineers are among our membership?

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think the car helps you meet people. For instance....

On this board, more people run out of gas with their Pruis than any other car I've ever heard about. You get to meet strangers to give you a ride.

Another example... In the past week or two, what? A couple prius's that have just died on the side of the road and 2 or 3 others crashed by someone. They got to meet other drivers and police officers, talk to repair dealers.

I think the Prius is a real social outlet!!

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sure it's fun. But I'm also a semi-retired software engineer, so I qualify as a geek.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's fun! It's fun to play the mpg game knowing the rewards are immediate (well, at the end of the tank anyway).

It's fun to play around with the engine. Engine on, engine off, engine on, engine off just by pressing the AUTO A/C button on the steering wheel

It's fun to depress that accelerator a little more, like you'd do with a V12 supercar. Most will say you'll never feel the jolt of a regular transmission because of the PSD. Well, while in motion, I suggest dipping your right foot, you'll feel that extra surge of power and it feels great :p. Obviously, it's not sports-car-like but that surge is noticeable.

It's fun to try and spin the car out when it's snowy outside (safely of course with no traffic and an open area).

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For me, it is fun because it is so responsive. Just like how you used to play the remote control electric car toy. You make it go and it goes right away.... forward, backward... Although Prius is no toy car, it is still very fun for many grown ups. :lol:

There are also so many techniques to play around with -- deadband acceleration, stealth, low speed pulse and glide, EV, high speed feather glide, etc... Not always to save gas and pollute less but to amaze in awe what HSD can do.

Convenience of Smart Key System and no warm up wait. Get in the car and go is really neat. Less wait time pumping in the gas station and not to mention less frequency of stopping by also.

A funny but sad story. Yesterday, I pulled into the gas station and H2 also pulled in behind me. He ended up gassing at the other side of the pump (pump was between me and him) and started conversation wth a pick up truck driver infront of him. H2 driver was telling him that it costs him $100 to fill up every time. He said he drove H2 for work and that for the past 4 days, he spent $380 for gas. I did not hear the rest of the conversation because I was done pumping gas and it was time for me to go. I could of said something but did not want to sound like a smug. :lol: As I pull out of the gas station in stealth mode, I noticed his head turns as he kept staring at my Prius. He probably still had 20 more gallons to fill up. :lol:

Now, that's fun!

Dennis

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i knew i'd get mostly positive responses. :)

didn't want to bias things by putting my fun factors in the original post.

i like starting up the car and pulling out of my parking spot and the people walking to their cars with me at the end of the car are startled that the thing started moving!

i can't help but laugh at my gas bill, it's ridiculously low compared to the pickup driver next to me. although i have been pissed off before when the total pops over $30

always got a real kick out of shocking people in their escalades as i fly by them on the highway.

and you just can't beat pulling up alongside a fellow prius driver and exchanging a smile and wave. :)

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The biggest fun factor for me is being part of a BIGGER group of geeks than the relatively small EV club allows.

Interesting to see that most of the factors I'm reading here are about power, stealth mode, and less time at the pump. Can you imagine how much fun a real EV is?! NEVER stopping at the pump, ALWAYS being in stealth, and having instant, quiet throttle response at all speeds. But I digress...

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would depend on your definition of fun.

Maximizing my mileage is fun for me.

The fact the car never jerks when it shifts....well because it doesn't shift...is really fun for me.

I find the touchscreen fun.

It's fun to see how much I can pack into it.

Then again....I also find it fun to wash and wax.

10. rocco

rocco Member

I still (after 1.5 yrs) love to run an errand cause it drives so smoothly - like a car from the future.

I also have to say I love my ipod (connected with viatec box) since I rarely remove it from my prius.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had my last car for nearly 15 years. It had power seats, but no air bags or even cupholders. Here I have a car with a lot of gizmos to play with. My last car's NAV system consisted of a 2002 Thomas Guide of San Diego and a 1992 Thomas Guide of Los Angeles (plus what I could print out from Mapquest). I still like having the map scroll along. The EV mod gives me a glimpse of what Darryl experiences every day. I like the SKS and the MFD. I really like taking it out for long trips. This past weekend my mother wanted to check a couple of restaurants about pies. I was able to do that using the BT and the NAV system's database (I have the '05, so I have the override).

Yeah, it's fun. :)

12. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The MFD, smart entry, and STEALTH MODE!! Oh. My. God. *glee* :wub: I loved playing with all the gadgets, and running around in stealth mode. So futuristic. I'm such a geek.

As much as I love my RSX..... I STILL want a Prius. I should have "forgotten" to return the Rent-a-Prius from Enterprise..... LOL. :p :lol:

13. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 14 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]239984[/snapback]</div>
    Another geek here...it is fun to try to squeeze the mileage out of the car and work with the cars computers. Considering the price of gas these days, it seems to me to be a much better goal than to have a car that will do 0-60 in as few seconds as possible. ;)

14. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely fun!

Fun to turn on the car and tell your passenger, "Yes, the car is on! Watch the backup camera." Or "Yes, I know it looks small from the outside, but it really is spacious on the inside."

Stealth mode is awesome, but then you have to be careful and not run over people, like students with ipods on walking between classes.

It is fun to wash and wax...and then answer all those questions people ask you. "Do you plug it in every night?" "What's your gas mileage?"

It is fun going to the gas station and having a conversation with the person on the other side of the pump about gas mileage and then telling them you have to leave because you are done, while they are still pumping gas. :lol:

And, yes, the SKS is the cat's meow on this car! Unfortunately, I still expect all doors (house door, office door, museum's main front door) to just open and unlock simply by grasping the door knob. :p

Lastly, it is, I must say, just plain fun to drive!

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not all the things that I consider to be fun are Prius specific, but they definitely have something to do with my Prius. :D

~the Smart Key System is one of the most awesome things ever! I often wonder if bystanders wonder how I got the car to unlock when I have nothing in either of my hands...or if my hands are full of groceries and I don't have to dig in my purse for a remote or key.

~the Bluetooth rocks-it's like having the person sitting next to you, having a conversation. I hate being on the cell phone while driving, and this solves the problem of digging out a ringing cell phone out of a purse. I don't often make calls from my car, but this sure does help when I have an incoming call

~stealth mode and sneaking out of parking spaces and startling people. Cruising parking lots in stealth and sneaking up on unsuspecting pedestrians

~CVT-it's wonderful not having the car shift gears-it accellerates so smoothly!!

~carpool lane/HOV lane in CA-I LOVE being able to take the carpool lane by myself legally, when necessary!!

~the buttons/functions on the steering wheel kick nice person. I don't have to take my eyes off the road for a second to switch radio stations, or turn the A/C up or down or switch from FM to Satellite

~the MFD. My husband is jealous that I have an energy screen that shows where the energy is going/coming from, and shows the little wheels on the cartoon car a-turnin'. :D

16. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i think it's fun.

17. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stealth mode is fun and dangerous. I am waiting for the first "Prius scared the _____ out of me" lawsuit.

I wish more of my friends would want me to pick up stuff and move just so we can test out how much stuff can be put into this car.

I giggled like a little school girl with her first crush the 1st time I filled it up and it clicked off in like 45 seconds....full.

Happy dog, loves the car, makes me happy.

Smart Key and the Power Button though are things that I just cannot imagine not having anymore...and that tiny little shifting lever.

Questions:

Did anyone else have a hard time keeping their thumb off the black locking square while opening the door?

How many times did you turn on the windshield washers while shifting into/out of reverse??

18. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Apr 17 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]241095[/snapback]</div>
    1) No...I reach for the handle when I'm opening the door, not just in the general vicinity of the handle. My four fingers reach behind the handle to pull it towards me, my thumb is on the outside helping to grasp...perhaps your thumb is extended in the direction of the black locking square?? :)
    2) Twice that I've counted so far. I'm quite sure it'll happen again. :p

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I enjoy the look I get when I cruise by people in stealth mode. :)

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no problem with the black square. My thumb's usually over the keyhole or simply not near the door if I'm not grasping the handle.

I've yet to turn on the wiper while shifting but I've turned on the wipers several times while dusting/cleaning the car.