1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius G - almost 1G

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by raspy, Nov 3, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What an incredible achievement.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if they'll re-arrange the "handbrake" so it can be drifted?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminds me of the Gen 2 Prius TRD. I think this G handles better. It actually looks pretty aggressive.

I wonder if there's a market for a sporty Prius. Say, a 3T with stickier tires, lighter alloys, slightly heavier steering feel, denser or larger li-ion battery, red stitching instead of blue faux white carbon fibre interior trim or piano black trim, slightly less aggressive engine tuning to allow for a bit more power and a bit lower mpg. Most of the additions should be low cost to Toyota but they can market it with a higher sticker price.

RCO, 'LectroFuel and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe something like "TWIN BATTERY POWERED" could take over from Twin Turbo? For initial kick off the line a boost to the battery might give a short term surge of power/torque, though might then need twin fans to cool the twin batteries - I wonder if the electric motors could be tweaked too?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We need a Prius with Acura's SH-AWD with the rear wheel steering.

BLITZ XW50 and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, here's how I'd make a Prius Sport.

The big thing is, it needs more ICE power. Several ways to do that.

The first way is to create a higher-performance 2ZR motor. The highest performance variant available currently is the 2ZR-FAE, although this doesn't actually need Valvematic, as the hybrid system would take care of everything that Valvematic is designed to solve (partial load). Upshot, you'd get a 148 hp engine, up from 96 hp. ~173 total system horsepower.

Next up is, switching to a non-Valvematic variant of the 3ZR-FAE - a displacement increase to 2.0 liters. This means 155 hp, for 179 total system horsepower - still not really enough for a "hot hatch", but it could be decently sporty. (It's worth noting, by the way, that Lexus has trademarked "UX 250h", and I'm suspecting a 3ZR-FXE will exist for it - we know Lexus badges the 1.8 liter as a 200h, and the 2.5 liter as a 300h.)

Finally, there's going for a bigger class of hybrid powertrain altogether - one from the (next-generation) Camry/RAV4/NX Hybrid. We know the current powertrain is somewhere between 194 and 200 hp depending on who you ask... so, yeah. That. That would be enough power if it's 200, especially given the power delivery.

Once you've done that, it's going to be a pretty simple formula - improve brake feel, stiffen up the suspension (beyond that of the 3T/4T, which is just stiffer dampers, after looking at the parts catalog), better tires, and throw some TRD bits at it.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to put my thoughts about AWD in here. Personally, I don't think it's that necessary, unless it adds significantly to the acceleration. We're talking about a class of hot hatch that doesn't tend to have AWD, and the weight will probably be more of a detriment to handling, than the added power delivery flexibility's help to handling. The Prius e-Four system doesn't make much sense here, but if the battery can be made to handle more power draw, the RAV4/NX's MGR might, if it can fit, for an even hotter Prius.

#6 bhtooefr, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    RCO, Tideland Prius and 'LectroFuel like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love everyone's ideas!

That's be cool! We could have one regular battery and one ultra capacitor for "sport" mode. That could give you the "overboost" style assist that you're thinking.

That would be awesome! A bit heavy but definitely help with cornering and acceleration. It would also balance out the F:R weight distribution (like the Prime).

2.0 litre 3ZR is probably better. The 2AR-FXE might be a bit too heavy, increasing the weight in the front. (And possibly too large for the engine bay).

This is more for a performance feel rather than enhancement (if I read it correctly) but Toyota/Lexus is also developing this:

Explained: Lexus’ Multi Stage Hybrid system | Top Gear

RCO likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just reading the headline:

"254KM/H HYUNDAI IONIQ SETS LAND SPEED RECORD…"

it used NITROUS!!!!

RCO likes this.
  9. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Height would be the main reason to worry about fitting the 2AR-FXE into the Prius - I'm not worried at all about width, considering that there's been several New MC vehicles (read: same platform as the Gen 3) with 2AR motors (and the RAV4/NX themselves are New MC).

The Multi-Stage Hybrid system would really only package well for RWD vehicles, I think.

Tideland Prius likes this.