1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gas Mileage vs Old Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tomdeimos, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I just found some old car records on my diesel fill ups and found the Prius is even better than I thought. My old car was a 1987 and I calculated mileage regularly when it was newer, but never bothered recently, and now my commute is much shorter!

So I just found my log of fillups and found the old diesel was far worse than I imagined, under conditions like I now drive!

New Car 2005 Prius
    EPA 60/51

Trip Summer Mielage 55 - 60 Mpg estimated
    (No summer fuel yet: currently at 54 + avg)

Short 12 mile commuting: 52 mpg

Winter cold 12 mile commuting 42 Mpg

Mercedes 190D2.5
    EPA 29/37

Trip Summer Mileage 42 Mpg

Short 12 mile commuting 31 Mpg

Winter cold commuting 25 Mpg

So under like conditions Prius is 40 to 68% better and I always considered my diesel very economical on fuel. Both cars are close in size as well. Prius is way more power.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention, less polluting :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have you way beat. :lol: Well, on the vast improvement of the Prius upon your old car's gas mileage. Try this:

High school/college beater 1990 Buick Century, 6 cylinders, 2 dead, dead mass air intake sensor (cost more to fix than the value of the car):
    120 miles/TANK if I was lucky
    14 gallon tank
    $28 per fill-up
    Fill-up AT LEAST weekly

The 'whoa so this is what it's like to be above the poverty line' purchase, 2005 Toyota Prius:
    390 miles/first tank
    11.8 gallon tank
    $20.75 per fill-up (first fill-up last weekend)
    Fill-up every 3 weeks or so

I am VERY happy with the Prius. Heck, the savings in gas money makes my future car payments seem smaller! :mrgreen:

Happy driving!

4. Erick

Erick Member

I think my previous commuter will have everyone beat. It is a 2002 Trans Am that I had heavily modified and a 427ci engine put in. The week I drove it I got about 7 mpg in stop and go traffic. Pathetic, huh? I have since had a turbo put in and made it a race track only car so no more commuting for it. I've only had my Prius a few weeks (drove it from Houston to L.A.). With that trip I got around 43mpg but just commuting to work, I am getting around 48mpg. Pretty cool...

5. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just picked up a 2002 Prius and couldn't be happier with the MPG. I'm still on my first tank (actually still above 1/2). I've gone about 225 miles and the MFD states that I've averaged about 47.8MPG so far. This is in Northern Virginia commuter traffic which is 1/2 70-75 and the other half stop and go. I was driving a 94 Ford Exploder which recorded a lovely 14.5-16.3 MPG. Yikes! From the sounds of other peoples mileage it seems like mine is a bit low, but I can't complain.

6. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

I was a miser before (for conventoinal gas at least :)), with an '03 MINI Cooper:

Lowest Ever: 28mpg (Nothin' but commuting in winter)
    Highest Ever: 40mpg (Spring Country road drive)
    Typical: 33mpg

My first tank in the Prius went in today: 44mpg
    The trip computer read 50.

I'm not sure the dealer had it filled all the way, so the pump fill may have put more in than it started at.
    I had 360mi on the tank, 7 ticks down.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hokie-Dave\";p=\"78658)</div>
    For a Classic Prius your mileage is quite good. 47.8 US Gallon is not too shabby for a 2k2. My Classic (2k3) is doing 41.8 life time US Gallon and my best ever was 48.2 US Gallon. Don't feel bad your right up there.

8. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't sure if mine was in the "normal" range or not after hearing about all these 50+mpg newer Priuses. I've got 325 on this tank and the display is showing me 49.2 right now which is awsome compared to my previous 15MPG beast. I have not taken it on a highway trip yet where there is a 65 MPH speed limit so I'm not sure how much lower it will go when I set the cruise at 73 for 250 miles. I probably won't know until football season starts up again in the fall.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"82747)</div>