1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 1 Code P3030 - Walk away or give it a try

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jds580s, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi! My 2001 Gen 1 Prius gave me a few errors last Saturday including P3030, a misfire in 2, a misfire on 3, and a general misfire error.

I changed the spark plugs and drove it a couple days and then the P3030 returned (Without the misfire, or any other codes) P3030 is listed as Battery Voltage Detected Line Snapped at my local auto parts store.

It has about 120k miles on it. And there are not really any symptoms to speak of. It seems to drive like always and mileage is the same as it's been for the last few years.

I've searched through the forums and other online resources and it seems like P3030 can either be an unending money pit or sometimes a new battery, high voltage wires, or HV battery terminal cleaning among other things. Most of the forum threads have the code with a bunch of other codes also.

I'm curious with just the single code (assuming the spark plugs truly fixed the misfires) where I should start looking first. If the bottom line is a new transmission or replacing the batteries I think I'll walk away from the car and put the money into something newer but I would love to hear some of your tips and advice about this.

Thanks!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's always worth it to give it a try. It might be something as simple as a corroded bus bar or sense wire, or a little more complicated like the HV battery ecu. But it should be possible to fix for much less than another vehicle with comparable attributes. Are you planning to do the work yourself or someone else? Dealer or independent shop? Location?

3. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks!

I am willing to do some work myself, but if it gets into the more complicated items I might not be up to the task.
    I am in Kansas City, and I took it into an independent shop that I've used and trusted (with other vehicles), they tried to diagnose the problem. Once they tracked it down to the HV system they called me and said they really were not qualify for hybrids and didn't charge for the time.

The only option I know of is the Dealer, if anyone knows an independent hybrid shop please let me know that too.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not aware of anyone near KC unfortunately. You might want to review a few threads, to make sure that this work is within your skills. It is much more like circuit troubleshooting than car repair.

Here's someone who got lucky with an easy fix:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/94736-2002-p3030-code.html

The technical instructions for the battery resealing recall are extremely helpful for DIY: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/TIS/ileaf/toyssc/toysspdf/sscsourc/2004/40g/40gtech.pdf

Here's a very involved repair:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/84017-nhw11-traction-battery-autopsy.html