1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 3 and v inverter class action legal settlement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How wide would this apply: California, the USA, everywhere?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone recall reading about the defect in prior PC posts? long ago I recall reading about our 2010 hybrid Lexus SUV being susceptible to issues - but not the Prius hatchback.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh for goodness sex. What's the basic gist of the mess I didn't know we had a big problem with inverters in gen 3's and generally you can find them at junk yards for near free because there's nothing anybody can do with them except another hybrid owner maybe so the valuation is just really not seemingly there and it's a fairly low failing part sposedly

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, we've already had the E0E recall, and the followup J0V recall, and the ZE3 warranty extension coverage to 15 years with no mile limit.

If this is the same proposed settlement I read about in a different thread a few days ago, looks like it will basically extend that no mile limit coverage from 15 years to 20 years. Nice to know, but I'm basically still having the kind of day I was having before.

I'm trying to think if I've ever owned anything else with warranty coverage lasting for 20 years (or even 15). Maybe my shingles.

DogDaze likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which kind of shingles ...... the virus? Or the roof.

#6 hill, Jul 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    ToyXW likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess when you keep denying that a problem is a problem, you wind up creating a bigger problem

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I buy a thing with an eight year, 100,000 mile warranty, and I drive it out to a dozen years of age and 150,000+ trouble-free miles, and then they say "by the way, we're extending coverage on this expensive part to 15 years and unlimited miles so you won't be sad if it doesn't last that long", then I kind of already feel like I haven't been mistreated much, even before somebody else who feels that wasn't good enough sues them to extend it to 20.

But then, I already had a similar experience with my Gen 1, where they put in a new steering rack for me at 194,000 miles because they had extended the warranty for that to keep me from being sad after its original three year, 36,000 mile warranty ran out.

DogDaze likes this.
  9. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For people in CARB States (during the time of purchase), the settlement's 20-year/unlimited-mileage warranty extension, is better than the 15year/150K Warranty that may have come with the vehicles (look up your year and warranty for actual details).

Fwiw, for people that don't want to click and read the whole thing, below is the summary:
    ===========
    If You Currently or Previously Owned or Leased a 2010-2015 Prius or 2012-2017 Prius V, You Could Get Benefits from the Proposed Settlement of A Class Action Lawsuit Concerning Allegedly Defective IPMs/Inverters Installed In these vehicles.

Summary of Settlement benefits:
    (1) Customer Confidence Program: A 20-year/unlimited-mileage warranty extension, providing cost-free repair or replacement of the IPM or Inverter under certain conditions. See FAQ #10 .

(2) Cost-free loaner vehicle and/or towing program: Certain conditions must be met to be eligible. See FAQ #11 .

(3) Reimbursement Fund: To pay for unreimbursed IPM and Inverter repairs and replacements and/or related towing and rental car expenses, but only if you file a timely claim . See FAQ #12 .

(4) Possible Redistribution Check if certain conditions are met. See FAQ #13 for details/eligibility.
    ===========

For Reimbursement for a previously paid for repair:
    ========================================
    Remy McCarthy, et al., v. Toyota Motor Corp., et al. Frequently Asked Questions

12. What Out-of-Pocket Expenses are reimbursable, how can I seek reimbursement, and what is the deadline?
    If the Settlement is approved and the Final Effective date has (currently anticipated to be February 12, 2023* if the Settlement is approved on January 13, 2023*, but likely subject to change), Toyota shall pay a total of $20,000,000.00 into a non-reversionary Qualified Settlement Fund (“QSF”). The Settlement amount is to be used to fund the Out-Of-Pocket Claim Reimbursement Process and to pay for tax preparation associated with the QSF. All other expenses related to the Settlement, including notice and administrative fees and costs, attorneys’ fees and costs and incentive awards to class representatives, as awarded by the Court, are being separately paid by Toyota.

If the amount in this Settlement Fund is insufficient to pay eligible Out-Of-Pocket Claims, Toyota shall provide additional funds sufficient to pay all such eligible Out-Of-Pocket Claims, as directed by the Settlement Claims Administrators. Toyota shall not, however, add additional funds to cover Redistribution Checks. If it is administratively unfeasible to provide Redistribution Checks after eligible Out-of-Pocket expenses are paid, there will be no Redistribution Payment.

To be eligible for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses covered by the Settlement, you must (1) have paid for those expenses prior to the Final Effective Date (currently anticipated to be February 12, 2023* if the Settlement is approved on January 13, 2023*, but likely subject to change), and (2) you must submit a timely Registration and Reimbursement Claim Form.

IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT A TIMELY REGISTRATION AND REIMBURSEMENT CLAIM FORM, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO RECOVER YOUR REIMBURSABLE OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES.

The current deadline for submitting a timely Registration and Reimbursement Claim Form is three months after the Final Effective Date. This deadline is currently anticipated to be May 12, 2023*, assuming that the Court approves the Settlement at the January 13, 2023* Final Fairness hearing and that the Settlement is not appealed. This date is also likely subject to change. All changes will be posted to this website, so please make sure to check this site for updates.

The following expenses are eligible for reimbursement, provided they were not previously reimbursed by Toyota and they were incurred before the Final Effective Date:
    (i) rental car expenses incurred in connection with the repair or replacement of an IPM or an Inverter;
    (ii) towing charges that had been incurred in connection with the repair or replacement of an IPM or an Inverter; and
    (iii) the cost of repairing or replacing an IPM or an Inverter.

To submit a claim online, please click here. We encourage you to use this on-line option, to ensure your claim is received and processed. If you prefer to submit a claim by mail, please print, fill out and send this form before the deadline.
    ========================================

#9 prius16, Jul 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 15 year, 150k mile CARB warranty had already been eclipsed by the 15 year, unlimited mile ZE3 warranty (which is not restricted to CARB states).

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More succinctly, lying through your teeth comes back to bite you?

(Thinking specifically of Toyota's statement "while the majority of vehicles will not experience this condition", in the EGR Warranty Enhancement Program. And yeah, it's underlined and italicized just like that.)

DogDaze, xliderider and bisco like this.
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Got my notification card, today. My friend in Florida who owns a 2017 v and a 2012 Gen 3 Prius as well.

DogDaze and farmecologist like this.
  13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I just got the card as well...for our 2012 Prius v wagon.

DogDaze likes this.
  14. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Got mine yesterday, smelled scammy, but I kept it anyway.

DogDaze likes this.
  15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Likewise here ...

DogDaze likes this.
  16. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DogDaze likes this.
  17. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I own a 2013 Prius and I got the post card today .
    I haven't had any IPM or Inverter issues yet .
    I'm not exactly clear on what I'm covered for or what I'm initialed to with this suit ?
    Can someone please explain ?

#17 Markee, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    DogDaze likes this.
  18. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is we have 20 years from the manufacturering of the car and unlimited mileage as long as we owed the car from a certain date to cover the repair/replacement of the inverter. It also covers a tow and rental of a car and you have 3 months from the date of the repair to submit for reimbursement.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DogDaze likes this.
  19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My inverter went out years ago. But I received the 20 year warranty card today. Did not get the rental car reimbursement the first time.

#19 rjparker, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    DogDaze and mikey_t like this.
  20. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got this below email back from the law office today. I haven't had any IPM or Inverter issues yet .
    I'm still not exactly clear on what I'm entitled to with this suit and if there's some filing deadline that I have to meet or I will get shut out ?
    Can someone please explain ?

Thank you for your message. The Plaintiffs in this case alleged that thermal and electrical stress resulted in the failure of transistors in the IPMs Toyota installed in 2010 to 2014 model year Prius and 2012 to 2014 model year Prius V hybrid vehicles, causing the vehicles to suddenly decelerate and stall while being driven, despite Toyota’s claim that Safety Recalls E0E and F0R, which it conducted in 2014 and 2015, respectively, corrected the problem. In late January and early February 2018, the Plaintiffs brought two separate class actions against Toyota, which were later consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, alleging violations of consumer-protection laws, breaches of warranty, and unjust enrichment. The Amended Consolidated Class Action Complaint, which contains each of the allegations and claims that the Plaintiffs have made in this case, is available online at www.toyotapriusinvertersettlement.com. During the course of the litigation, Toyota conducted two additional safety recalls—Safety Recall J0V in late 2018/early 2019, which involved all the vehicles that were the subject of Safety Recalls E0E and F0R, and Safety Recall 20TA10 in mid-2020, which involved the third-generation Prius and Prius V vehicles that were not subject to any of the previous safety recalls (i.e., certain 2013 to 2015 Prius and certain 2014 to 2017 Prius V vehicles)—for the purpose of installing new software to prevent the Subject Vehicles from stalling in the event of an IPM or Inverter malfunction or failure and allow Subject Vehicles to continue driving at speeds of up to ~60 miles per hour. After more than three years of litigation and more than a year of settlement negotiations, the Plaintiffs and Toyota reached an agreement to settle this case. If you have any further questions or concerns, please call 1-833-942-3997. Please do not respond to this email. This email is an automated notification, which is unable to receive replies.

#20 Markee, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    DogDaze likes this.