1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen 3 code P0A93 question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Manjot Sandhu, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Manjot Sandhu

Manjot Sandhu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone
    So got this P0A93 code when I was driving on the highway about 65mph, scared to me death when big yellow warning light came on so I returned home and turn the car back on after 30 mins the code and all the warning lights were gone I checked under the hood felt the pump everything was good. I just got done 90k maintance on the car from dealer. So my question is that could be computer error or it could be water pump malfunction? On warranty manual the warranty for inverter with converter covers under 100k so dealer should be able to cover the water pump if it's broken? I driven the car today again at normal temperature and full blast AC on, then again no engine check light on and warning light no message.
    Please answer my question I would really appreciate you.
    Thank you

#1 Manjot Sandhu, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the inverter coolant reservoir to make sure the fluid level is at the FULL mark.
    2. When the Prius is READY, do you see any fluid turbulence in that reservoir? Although 3G Prius shows less turbulence compared to prior generations, if you open the reservoir cap and look inside you should see some movement.
    3. What pump did you feel, and how did you decide it was good? The 3G inverter coolant pump is not easy to reach. However you can feel vibration on the hoses leading from the pump to the reservoir and inverter.
    4. It is unclear whether the inverter coolant pump would be covered under the 100K mile warranty or not. First determine whether the pump is at fault or not.

#2 Patrick Wong, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  3. Manjot Sandhu

Manjot Sandhu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yes my both coolant fluid levels are at appropriate level.
    No I did not see any turbulence in the reservoir I triple checked it.
    I checked everything at night so I could listened everything properly.
    The water pump I checked right under the left head light and front bottom of the inverter gen 3 only have one water pump for both engine and inverter.
    And like I said the warning came on when I was driving 65mph on highway and stayed in till get home which was 10 mins and started up after 30 mins all warning lights and engine check light was gone and test drove the car about 10 mins with AC on full blast nothing happened car acted normal. You think that could be computer software glitch.
    I don't want to drive befor I m sure safe to drive.

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, there's another coolant pump for the engine, located at the other end of the engine near the compressor.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That pump is the inverter coolant pump. How do you know it is working?

The engine coolant pump is mounted on the "front" of the engine, facing the passenger-side fender.