1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen II-Add cruise control-EU model- 2006- full guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ramanjit81, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How to add Toyota OEM cruise control to a non- cruise control European Prius.

Disclaimer: The procdure mentioned hereunder is an account of what I did to successfully add a cruise control to my base model car. I do not extend any warranty/ guarantee nor do I accept any responsibility against any damage anyone may cause/ incur after reading/ attempting these instructions/directions. Any use of this information is entirely at your own risk.

I have completed the installation successfully today and would like to provide this concise list of parts needed and links to pictorial installation illustrations.

Parts needed:
    1. 45186-47010-CO cover steering wheel x 1- to replace steering wheel cover to accomodate the stalk
    2. 90159-50199 screw x2- to fix the stalk the the steering
    3. 84632-34011 switch cruise control x 1- the black stalk
    5. 84633-48020 switch c/control x 1- CC switch wire with connectors
    6. 84340-47020 Brake light switch/ stop lamp switch x 1- brake switch with cruise control
    - This is the varying part for the various years between 2003-2009. Please ensure the one mentioned here is actually the right one for your year and model. A good reference site id www.toyodiy.com.

One of the most confusing things is the exact brake switch to get. But I can confirm now that 84340-47020 and 84340-06010 are perfectly compatible. Having consulted www.toyodiy.com and verifying it with the dealer I learnt that the correct part number for my car is 84340-47020, but having looked at pictures at the following link I realised that it looked similar to 84340-06010 advertised on ebay and took a chance to order it. It works just fine, the compatible after market item number is Beck/Arnley 201-1566. So any of these would work.

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...617603-wish-i-had-cruise-control-cruise07.jpg

The following are the links with pictures and good explanations for same for the full cruise control installation procedure.

1. Google Translate

2. https://translate.googleusercontent...e.aspx&usg=ALkJrhiMYFggf1UnhFEeHgYs8s6gGL15gw

3. Google Translate

I hope this guide helps some one.
    I was able to install the cruise control stalk in the steering cavity without disconnecting the airbag connectors, I did it because I didn't know how to unplug the airbag connectors and didn't want to damage the connectors while forcefully disconnecting them, but I'm sure the safer way is to disconnect the airbag and keep it aside and have two free hands for the installation.

Getting to the brake lamp switch is a bit awkward, just obviously doable with some perseverence. Please bear in mind that the nut on the back side of the plate to which the brake switch is fixed is welded, so please do not try turn it. We need to turn the one visible under the switch plastic body ever so slightly with a size 14 spanner and thereafter it can be removed by hand.

2. ohhwell

ohhwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just confirming that this worked perfectly on the 2008 US model we just bought. Thanks a ton for posting the part numbers and links. The second Google Translated link you posted was the best for me. It was very easy to disconnect the 12v battery in the trunk and worth it to not worry about an airbag going off in my face.

3. J_eberst

J_eberst New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also wanted to confirm that this worked for my 2009 base US prius.

Here are the parts I used that were different from the above.
    8463208021 Cruise Control Switch
    846330E020 CC Switch Wire

I tried to use an OEM brake/stop switch, but the toyota dealer gave me the wrong one. (84340-30100)
    The correct one is 84340-30110, or you can get the switch from most autoparts retails by just searching prius stop switch with cruise control. If you see a picture the one with cruise control will have connections for 4 wires.

I recommend removing the lower half of the dash to get the brake/stop switch out. The first 30 seconds of this video is a great example.

Then use a wrench to turn the switch so the wiring harness faces down. This will make it much easier to remove the wire from the back of the switch.

4. SanjayRajwani

SanjayRajwani New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ramanjit

Your's is the only post on the internet which actually tells how can we install cruise control to a Prius. (Y)
    I own a 2008 Prius in Stockholm Sweden which I bought a couple of weeks back, and I only realized it a few days back that it doesn't have cruise control. I assumed that all Prius models will have it (stupid of me)! But anyways, having read your post I feel more confidant in attempting to do the job myself. I am only not sure where exactly can I locate the "Brake light switch" ? And you mentioned that there is one which is welded to the plate and the other one that is screwed in. It would be really great if I can see it on a picture? The pictures in the links you've shared are taken too close to understand where exactly the switch is placed!

5. The Beast1

The Beast1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviving this thread as it helped me get CC. Install is very easy and a good addon for newbies. It took me about an hour and a half to finish. A few special notes:

1. The screws you need are M5 screws. Go to your hardware store and pick some up.

2. There are multiple part numbers for the brake light switch. Toyota switched ODMs for this part multiple times, but they should all generally work.

3. The pictorials from the Japanese sites above are really wonky. There's no need to disassemble the entire dash. It looks like his Prius is lacking an LED for the dash indicator light which is odd because mine has it. Anywho, if you're unsure just install the cruise stalk first and power on the car. If the cruise indicator light turns on when you click the stalk you're good to go.

4. Getting to the brake light switch isn't hard. Remove the hvac vent column with the start button on it by pulling out on it. Unscrew all the bolts you see. Go under the wheel and unscrew any remaining bolts on the under dash panel. Pull out on the key fob slot area to unloosen the bottom dash.

Pull off the under dash out and disconnect the cables. The brake switch indicator sits at the top of the brake pedal so get on your knews to really see it. There is a bolt on top of the metal mount that looks difficult to get to with a wrench. This is the guy you want to unscrew. Don't unscrew the bolt on the bottom. Use the new brake light switch as a guide to know what you're twisting.

Pro tip: if you can't maneuver well enough, disconnect the ECM unit's cables by unscrewing the mounting brackets holding it in place. That should give you enough room to fit a proper wrench in there. If the nut doesn't want to budge, get a lighter and heat that sucker up. Be wary of the cables underneath.

I missed cruise control too much!

6. Orange71

Orange71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to drag up an old topic - I bought the parts to do this on my 2005 T3 Prius and got my mechanic to fit everything but it doesn't work. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Do you have to 'tell' the ECU or something that CC is now fitted for it to work? The stalk was described: Cruise Control Stalk Switch + Harness 84632-34017 Kit Fit for Lexus ES350 GS450H (I can't put a link up but it was on ebay). It claims to be compatible with Gen 2 Prius.

#6 Orange71, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. Umerpk

Umerpk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In few vehicles YES you need to tell the ECU by connecting 1,2 wires from ECU to clockspring or brake switch. Hope you have the wiring diagram. It is very easy to connect those wires. Sometimes you need to change the clockspring as well. Most of the times this cruise control switch is just plug n play. In my JDM 2006 pri, it was plug and play but without LED in the dash which I installed myself.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Dilshan

Dilshan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Prius 2008 Gen 2 (Japanese version) with 4 pin brake switch.
    I have installed the Cruise control lever and connect the white color socket.

Still the CC not working , please advice the further steps.

Regards