1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen III buyers heritage/nationality poll

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by darkleafar, Aug 24, 2009.

?
  1. White/Caucasian

84 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. Asian American

24 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. African American

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Native American

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Hispanic American (born in the US)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Hispanic Native (not born in the US)

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Simply for the sake of statistics and curiosity. I do not, in any way, mean to imply any racist or discriminative remarks or statements of any kind by the creation of this poll.

That being said, I wanna explain my reasons for this poll. Let's face it, even if stereotypes are mostly proved fake because they do not apply to every single individual it is assigned to, there are some truths. For instance, my wife is vietnamese. She has always claimed fervently that the great majority of asian americans will prefer an asian auto maker (i.e. Toyota, Nissan, Honda). When we first started dating, she took me to a local asian market. We walked around the parking lot and finding a car that was not made in an asian country was like finding a needle in a haystack. I think I saw 2 out of 50+. Furthermore, she says that it seems within the asian automakers picked by asian americans, she has noticed over time, Toyota seems to be preferred. Also, let me remark Houston has one of the largest asian american populations in all of the US.
    Now, as testified by me, in Mexico, Chevrolet and Volkswagen are pretty much the most trusted brands. I lived in Mexico in more than 5 different states, and I saw this held through in all of those regions. However, when you compare mexican chicanos (mexican hispanics born here) to native mexicans like myself, what I saw held through in Mexico no longer applies here.

These are about the only two racial groups that I can provide information and proof about their automaker preference. Now, we all agree the Prius is more than one of Toyota's cars. The Prius is an icon which embodies a new generation of vehicles, and represents a new generation of technology. The Prius is an introduction to the future, a piece of engineering that has provided the spark that ignited not only the evolution and transition to alternatives to gasoline, but also the complete restructuring of the automotive market. Thus, I believe it recreational and fascinating to see how the above events will change or have changed the way different ethnic/racial groups view automotive makers. In other words, has the Prius won over more people than its already loyal crowd to the side of Toyota? Please vote :)

(Please note that I included two different hispanic options because we are the larges minority group in america and I believed it necessary to sort it in two groups: those born here and those born elsewhere.)

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    *** Edited the poll to include an "Other" response for those that feel their heritage does not fit within the options presented. ***

3. kilork

kilork New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about adding White/Caucasian (not born in the US) :)

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure he delineated US vs. non-US originated white/caucasian, but I'd agree this poll is rather US specific.

5. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good poll, I would recommend allowing multiple answers. For example, I am a white caucasian but born in Latin America.

6. miketee

miketee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting poll...as an African American, I wondered about this myself as I was shopping for my Prius. Working in D.C., the Prius drivers I've seen over the years have been overwhelmingly white and, to a lesser degree, Asian. Since I've had my Prius (for about 3 weeks now) I have noticed other African Americans driving them. I'm sure they were out there before and I just wasn't looking. I have not noticed any Hispanics or Native Americans driving Prii though I'm sure they're out there.

While it might not appeal to everyone, I think the concept of the Prius is attractive to all drivers, regardless of race or nationality. I mean, getting better gas mileage has no racial barrier. However, America's car culture is so strong, many of us see our cars as an extention of our personalities. This was particularly true during the muscle car era of the '60's and '70's. I think it's changing now but there are still many examples of certain cars being linked to certain types of drivers, again, regardless of race.

One benefit of getting older...you tend to stop caring so much about what others think. At 54, I don't care about impressing anyone with the car I drive. I chose the Prius because it's a very practical and comfortable car that also happens to get exceptional gas milage. It might not be for everyone but it's a perfect fit for me.

7. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! I should have thought of that.

And to the rest of you, thanks for voting. Also, I didnt want to make the poll overly complex. I suppose it was technically unfair of me to only include born in the US and non born in the US choices for hispanics, however I made that decision because I deduced that hispanics was the only minority who has enough people to justify splitting it in two. Now, for some reason, i never thought of caucasian not born in the US, lol. Either way, that is no longer up to me. If HTML Spinner and/or other moderator believes all choices should have a "non born in the US version" they can go ahead and add them. I do not mind.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently.

Just out of curiousity, does the term 'African American' include people from Jamaica? Or Trinidad? Seems to me the term 'black' was more inclusive. Since when is 'American' a race? :rolleyes:

I just treat everyone as if they were human. ;)

9. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems to me the bottom line is that good common sense, such as the sense to buy an efficient car, isn't limited to one ethnicity :)

10. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perfect post. This is 100% how I feel except for the part about 54, I'm 29 and I don't care what others think. :D

11. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm a just few years younger, but agree in substance. I'd put the emphasis on the high MPG and low maintenance. Though, without the comfort, headroom, and cargo capacity I'd have had to pass.

12. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi. :)

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am a mutt, but United Houma Nation is my tribe and represents the majority of my bloodline.)

13. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be more PC as they say the question could have been phrased as,
    American of African descent
    American of Asian descent

In my case, my ancestors came who over in the 1830's
    from Germany. I'm not a German American I consider myself an American of German descent. We are Americans first and nationality second.

I would consider someone who's a Japanese American to be a person who was born in Japan and immigrated to the U.S. and became a naturalized citizen, or a first generation American.

Their children would be considered Americans of Japanese descent.

Just pointing the semantics of the poll question. :p

BTW Native American is correct since they are the only ones who's ancestors were here before our relatives showed up.

14. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your input. I should have thought this out better since it is obviously a topic with a lot of potential to easily offend people. I do apologize to all of those who felt misrepresented by the options in this poll, like for instance that fellow who pointed out African American misrepresents black people from other countries. Thank you everyone for your votes

15. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Can you define Hispanic? or does this lump all sorts of people from different countries, different races, maybe even different languages(?) together in a convenient group - then you may have to ask why?

is a caucasian argentine considered hispanic, a black french speaking haitian, a mapuchi Chilaen, Mayan?

Why ?

16. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    His·pan·ic (hĭ-spān'ĭk) [​IMG]

adj.
    1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
    2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.
    n.
    1. A Spanish-speaking person.
    2. A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.
    A caucasian argentine is considered argentine and caucasian; the french speaking hatian is considered black and hatian and possibly french if such descent is present in that person's family; a mapuche chilean is considered mapuche and chilean, and a Mayan is considered well, Mayan (by the way if you can find a true Mayan I'd love to talk to them, I have many curiousity-based questions...if they can speak spanish too that is). Now, of all the above mentioned nationalities those who speak spanish (natively) can be classified as hispanic. Is that about clear?

Now, tell me something honestly. You've taken the SAT? How about filled the DMV application? How about a job application? Tell me exactly, how many heritage background choices did you see listed? Did you happen to see mexican-french, Chinese-german, or australian-cuban listed? No. Is that because rare minorities as the latter are less important or valuable? No. It is simple because it is impossible to list them all. The closest we can ever get is to ATTEMPT to categorize them all in 5 or 6 broader categories. Is this done for the sake of discrimination, or just for the discriminative need to categorize people based on skin and nationality? No! It is done for the sake of statistics, and in the US, because of certian laws requiring some employers and organizations to have a certain percentage of each race. Now in case you need me to define that, too:
    sta⋅tis⋅tics  /stəˈtɪs[​IMG]tɪks/ [​IMG] Show Spelled Pronunciation [stuh-tis-tiks] [​IMG] Show IPA

Use statistics in a Sentence

–noun 1.(used with a singular verb[​IMG]) the science that deals with the collection, classification, analysis, and interpretation of numerical facts or data, and that, by use of mathematical theories of probability, imposes order and regularity on aggregates of more or less disparate elements.2.(used with a plural verb[​IMG]) the numerical facts or data themselves.

There you have it, statistics is a science. And by the principles of statistics, a poll asking for racial data is no different than a poll asking for median income data or age-range data. If you choose to give the poll I made a hostile demeanor, that is entirely your choice. Nevertheless, I have made it quite clear in the very beginning of this thread: "Simply for the sake of statistics and curiosity. I do not, in any way, mean to imply any racist or discriminative remarks or statements of any kind by the creation of this poll."

I dare you to find any evidence that I have been intentionally discriminative or offensive. If I did offend anybody, it was merely because I failed to construct the poll efficiently enough to avoid politic problems of this sort. Furthermore, I have apologized to those who kindly pointed out they didnt agree with my poll choices because they felt it misrepresented certain groups. You sir, in the other hand, has accused me of coveniently lumping "all sorts of people from different countries, different races, maybe even different languages(?) together in a convenient group" As I have already made my point above, I did no such thing. And if you are attempting to hint that this poll is unfair, then every question out there in formal applications and information forms that asks you your heritage is unfair, because I followed that fomat. Granted, I should've typed "black" instead of African-American to include a larger variety of black people. Granted, perhaps each choice should have had a "non born in the US" alternative. However, those were honest mistakes. I did not "intentionally and conveniently lump together" any group at all.

Finally, to be quite honest, I replied to you out of courtesy, but your post (and inevitably my answer) are completely out of topic. Thus, in the most elegant and thorough manner I can possibly conjure:

:focus: :p :D

17. PriusIII

PriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm also curious to know the average age of the 2010 Prius owners. I haven't seen a lot of young Prius owners.

18. Jasonsprite

Jasonsprite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    one for the OTHER, Sri lankan, not born in the US

19. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I fit in the other category, but how about including Latin origin instead of lumping it into other?

You do know that Hispanic and Latin is not the same thing, don't you?

20. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I believe you are wrong! Argentines regardless of their skin tone, are considered Hispanic, because they come from "Spanish-speaking Latin America". The dictionary definition of Hispanic was provided by you, by the way.

In the other hand, Brazilians, like me, are not a Hispanic as many think because our official language is Portuguese. We are of Latin origin but not Hispanic; these 2 are often used interchangeably by mistake.