1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen III ride height

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Metroplex88, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Metroplex88

Metroplex88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a few questions regarding the ride height of the Gen III Prius. I have noticed my package 2 sits pretty high on its wheels. When I say 'high', I mean the gap in between the tires and wheel wells are considerably big.

I have the 15" inch wheels and understand that having the 17" wheels will most likely close that gap but I have seen pictures of other Gen IIIs with 15" wheels that have smaller gaps. I am NOT trying to 'pimp-out' my Prius and slam it to the ground but I just think it looks better with a slightly lower stance.

The questions I have are, Has anyone noticed this too? Also, Do all Prius packages come with the same suspension?? Or do the higher level packages come with a better suspension that makes the car sit lower?

I have also noticed that most Gen IIs I see on the road sits lower than my Gen III. If all packages have the same suspension, do the springs need time to settle and loosen a little to give it that effect?

Any response would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

- Rich

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you have 17" rims the tires are not as 'thick' from the rim to the tread (low profile tires) so there isn't much of a difference in overall height. If you have 15" rims and 4 " of tire and then have 17" rims and 2" of tire it equals out to the same...

The suspension is the same between a Prius V and the II through IV.

In the end, the clearance is the same on all models, that is distance from the ground to the underbody of the car...

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Metro...,

They probably closed up the gap with body work to help the aerodynamics.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought the front lip of the bumper sits pretty low to the ground.