1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen III with only front speaker...where are the rear speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ChrisJP, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Leased Prius came w/o back speaker!!! When I asked the dealer he replied that it was not possible!!!
    But thanks to the forum, I was able to install the back speaker.
    Wiring already existed, so that was a piece of cake (or so).

But then, when playing with the fader: no sound at the back
    I opened the dash and looked at the back of the Navi....doh! The back speaker is not connected
    image here: img31.imageshack.us/img31/2114/rearspeakerconnector.jpg

and I can't see the cables in the wiring harness
    image here: img31.imageshack.us/img31/5347/harnessz.jpg

Questions:
    1- would somebody knows what is the reference of the connector to use on the Toyota's Navi system nsdn-w60?
    2-Where should I be looking for the "missing" wires of the back speakers? (I can`t see anything from the central dash so I guess I need to look for a coupler somewhere...)

Any help really appreciated...​

2. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May be I should tell that you need to add htt p:// in front of the image links.
    (can't post the full link due to some forum limitations).

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please do a search. Google (top left of the page) is your friend.

There are many posts on the pinout (wiring diagram) of the radio - they show which pins have the rear speaker signals.

I'm guessing there will be many more with this question - so once you figure it out, post pics and details...

1 person likes this.
  4. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi rrolff

Thanks a lot for your help, it's really appreciated but I'm not looking for the wiring (well, not yet...:))

The Prius came w/o the rear speaker. Though back door was pre-wired, I can't find the back speaker wire itself in the console, together with the connector to the Toyota,s Car Navigation System.
    According to this thread: ht tp://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/86297-another-rosen-navigation-system-install.html, here is an image of what I,m looking for:

ht tp://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6181/factoryharness.jpg

The missing connector for the back speaker (and the wires of course) is cercled in red.

I have removed the driver side of the front dash (on the right for me), but can't locate the back wire harness. It's really not easy to see into all those cable. I could easily miss it.

Here is the picture of one connector plugged to a plastic cap that I found on the right side of the dash, but I'm not sure that this is it, thought the wire color are kind of matching (should be red+white and yellow+black)
    ht tp://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4371/capconnector.jpg

Does anybody knows where the back speaker wire harness is entering from the back of the car into the dash? Then I could eventually follow the harness to the connector...

(Sorry for this long thread, I found that Prius w/o back speaker is not a common package...)

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are lucky if there is already a wire that goes through the door (almost impossible to pull one through there).

I would pick up the wire at the radio connector - there are wire splicers that clip onto the existing wire - then just run your own wire from that point to the back..... I'm sure there are many people who would practically give away there old speakers (those that have swapped them).

6. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've already completed the back speaker set-up. Back door were already pre-wired, the Toyota's speaker connector was just plug into a useless plastic cup/terminator to keep it tight.

Wire splicers where provided together with the speakers, so set-up was a piece of cake.
    ht_tp://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4218/speakerbackright.jpg

As you can see, the back speaker wires are going though the back door:
    ht_tp://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2783/backdoorright.jpg

Now, thought I cannot locate the back speaker wire/connector on the console (to plug into the Car Navigation System), I still believe that they hopefully are there, somewhere, as everything seems to be kind of pre-wired. Problem is: where are those wires/connector hiding :confused:

Very probably, there's a dumb plastic cup/terminator where all useless connectors can be plugged so that they do not hang-around in the dashboard (just like for the non-existent back speaker).

I'm kind of scare to remove all front dash but without "educated guess" as to where to start looking for, I suppose that my only remaining option is to tear everything apart till I can locate the back-speakers harness in the dash :eek:

7. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update as I didn't have much time to work on this project.
    So we know that the speaker wires are existing in the back door. I've remove the cover from the pilar located in between on front and back door...

We can clearly see the yellow/black wires coming from speakers to the connector (right thumbnail)

But from the inside they're no speaker wires coming out from the connector.(left thumbnail) I will thus need to add wiring from the HU to the connector. Most complicate part will be to "plug" the new wires into the connector. Don't know yet how I will be able to do that...but I'll found a way

Attached Files:

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have the wires at the door, why not just tap it there (at the pillar), and run a different two wires to the head unit (or am I simplifying things too much?).

You should not have to take the dash apart - only the trim to remove the head unit (which is very well documented here - takes just 5 minutes).

9. ChrisJP

ChrisJP New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Rrolff,
    Yeah taping in the pillar connetor is what I intend to do.
    So far I was not able to "tear-apart" the connector, so I will solder needle type of plug to the end wire and push them into the empty connectors spot, hoping the connection will be good enough...

As there's 2x2 cables (one for tweeter and one for main speaker), I have 50% chance to tap-in the right location.

Looking at the avatar you can see that running the cable from pillar to HU will be piece of cake.
    I actually will probably try to run the right speaker's cable under the rear seat then all 4 wires ( L+R) along the doors to the main HU.

10. IslandMountainGoat

IslandMountainGoat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologise for responding to an ancient thread. But, this thread was the only sensible reference I could find about a Prius with no speakers in the rear door. Just like ChrisJP, I noticed that the speaker connections were in the door but couldn't find them in the dash or anywhere else.

I dug further, starting from the door, and found out that the wires in the door are only in the door. The leave the door, go into that boot and stop in the plastic connector. From an assembly line standpoint, you could say all doors are assembled with the wires for woofer and tweeter.

Inside the plastic housing that fills the hole in the b-pillar, there are wires on the door-side for 2 speakers, and empty spaces in the car-side.

This is my solution.

If, like me, you bought a wiring harness, then the part of the harness that would connect the rear speakers (from your new head unit to the car's harness) is now useless. Because, the car does not have that harness for rear-door speakers in the dash. But wait, that harness is not useless after all. The pins that come in the harness are the same as the pins that are missing from b-pillar side of the plastic connector that goes to the door. So, I removed the pins from the un-used rear-speaker harness, and put those into the car-side of the plastic connector. I opened the connector to figure out which wires it is. But, I can tell you here that, on the left side, where you see black and yellow wires, the pins for the woofer, are the two at the bottom (black is towards the back rear of the car). On the right side, you may have red + white, those are the pins at the top (red is towards the rear of the car)

These pins are sold online, but very hard to find. They're 28mm long (from connector to sheath), and 2.3mm wide.

You don't have to dismantle the plastic connector in the b-pillar to push in the pins. But it may be easier. There are two plastic clips (top+bottom) that you must push in simultaneously, to get the plastic connector apart.

And finally, because the word Molex came up in my search for a solution, I'm mentioning it here so the Ducks and Googls can pick up this for anyone else searching for a solution. I'm sure there are more people looking to solve the problem of Toyota without speakers in the back door.