1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen4: How many anntenae are included in a stock Prius L Eco?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GoodOldBob, Mar 20, 2024.

1. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I was wondering just how many radio systems are installed by default in my 2020 Prius L Eco? Does the car have a built-in cellphone? GPS receiver? Satellite XM receiver? And what about that SOS button? ...is that via another cellphone or Satellite transceiver module? How much data is being transmitted from my car? Any way to unhook/disconnect/disable these systems?

Regards,

GoodOldBob

#1 GoodOldBob, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • AM/FM receiver
    • Satellite radio receiver
    • GPS receiver for built-in nav
    • Cellular antenna for DCM (Digital Communications Module) - that includes the SOS button
    As for data, you'll have to consult the owner's manual. It should state that near the back of the manual.

The sharkfin antenna on the roof of the car houses the majority of the receivers.

The GPS receiver is under one of the front seats I think?? Not entirely sure.

The celluar antenna is usually behind the headunit somewhere (location is different in different Toyota vehicles).

GoodOldBob likes this.
  3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    But wait, there's more. Quite a bit of emission spectrum in new cars these days. All of this varies by model and model year, which I won't be breaking out. Some other things to consider are TPMS and the keyless entry system, which might be NFC around the doors and start button and RFID if your fob battery runs down. Bluetooth if you use it, and some vehicles even have wi-fi. Then there is rear cross-traffic sensing and dynamic radar cruise control in the millimeter-wave frequency range. The blind spot monitor (BSM) and parking assist rely on an ultrasonic sensor array around the exterior of the vehicle, with BSM additionally acquiring signal from the rear cross-traffic sensing radar. I don't know anything about disabling any of this or why you would want to. The vehicle would likely complain continuously since most of this is a safety concern.

Tideland Prius and GoodOldBob like this.