1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius- Generation I vs II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Synergy, May 27, 2008.

1. Synergy

Synergy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. :) After stumbling upon this site by accident I thought this place would be an excellent place to get prius info.

Allrighty I just got my license a few months ago and i need a car. Ever sense i heared about the prius i was astonished. Then they started popping up all over the place. I always see them buzzing around town, wafting around in electric mode. While I have to drive in my mothers very big, bulky and gas-hungry volvo xc90. I finally decided that my first car was going to be a prius. I went to Balise Toyota in Springfield, Ma and my father and I took a prius home for a day, and i absolutly fell in love with it. It had everything a back-up camera, navagation. The only thing i noticed was that the seats were slightly uncomforatble, although i guess thats expected when comming from riding around in volvo's all your life. At one point I was so focused on the energy monitor i almost got into an accident!! So now im stuck, I could get a used 2002 prius for around 10,500. Which is about 12,000 $ less than a new prius, but im not to sure if this is a good idea, the '02 prius has 99,552 miles on it which could mean the battery could be spent. Although i heard somewhere that there was a 10-year warrenty on the batteries? not to sure if thats right or not. I mean if im going to spend 4,000 dollars on a new battery, I might as well get a new prius.

These are the main questions I have.
    • What are the big differences between the 1st and 2nd generation prius's?
    • At what mileage should the battery be replaced?
    • Can the 1st generation prius run on the battery (under low acceleration, and at low speeds) alone and not need assitance from the ICE. if not this would be a huge disadvantage for me.
    • Does the 1st generation have traction control and Stability control?
    • Does the 1st generation get around the same MPG's?
    Sorry for all the questions guys, im just really curious about this first generation. Ive seen only a few on the raod, and I think they look alot like the toyota echo's.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sedan vs. Hatchback. Newer is faster too.

No battery replacement, ever, for most.

Stealth in the older model is similar, but more sensitive to draw and the cold.

Older has traction-control, though you'll almost never trigger it. Stability didn't exist back then.

Older is a few MPG less efficient.

I've driven 60,000 miles with a Classic and 98,000 miles with an HSD. Those experiences documented in great detail on my website. So, I suggest going there for more info.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have both a 2001 and 2007. John's previous post is accurate. However, there have been a limited number of 1st Gen battery failures (including me) and transaxle failures. EXTREMLY rare! .... But enought to suggest that a used Gen II would be a more secure choice if you need the highest reliability. I have yet to hear of a non-warranty failure of either battery or transaxle of a Gen 2.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    >Allrighty I just got my license a few months ago and i need a car.

For a first car you might want to get an older model so you'll care less if you dent it.

>At one point I was so focused on the energy monitor i almost got into an accident!!

I find that more of a problem in the gen II, because everything is controlled by the MFD.

>Although i heard somewhere that there was a 10-year warrenty on the batteries?

10 years, or 100,000 miles, more in CA.

• What are the big differences between the 1st and 2nd generation prius's?
    2nd gen. has a hatchback.

• At what mileage should the battery be replaced?
    You replace it if it dies before the car does. The car will tell you if it has a problem.

• Can the 1st generation prius run on the battery (under low acceleration, and at low speeds) alone and not need assitance from the ICE.
    For brief periods, yes. However it wants to heat up the exaust system before it will do it.

• Does the 1st generation get around the same MPG's?
    Seems like it. In theory the II is stronger and more economical.

5. Tumaini33

Tumaini33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Um... I have a Gen. I and it's a hatchback...

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Tumaini33 first time poster. If you prius is 2008 then it is the third version. The First version was sold mostly in Japan so it gets little respect here :)

So-called Gen1 is 2001-2003 model year.

7. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the gen1 have ABS?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle: