1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius generation matters for "short pins TS & CG" kinds of procedures!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChapmanF, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are various procedures in the manual that can be done one way using a computer and Techstream, and another way by shorting some pins at the diagnostic connector.

Toyota's instructions refer to the pins by name, like CG, TC, TS, or AB.

When I had my Gen 1, I learned which pin numbers those were by looking in the manual.

Then I assumed they'd be the same in my Gen 3. Hello!

CG is still pin 4. TC is still pin 13. I don't think there's an AB pin any more (in Gen 1, you could command the airbag ECU with it).

The treacherous one is TS. In a Gen 1, it's pin 14, but in a Gen 2 or 3, it's pin 12! (In a Gen 4, I don't think there is a TS.)

They apparently moved it when they started using CAN in Gen 2, because the old pin for TS, 14, is one of the defined CAN pins.

So if you're in a Gen 3 and you mistakenly try a "TS-to-CG" procedure using the pin numbers you remember from Gen 1, you end up grounding a side of the CAN bus, which isn't a disaster, but produces a chorus of DTCs from a heap of ECUs that temporarily couldn't talk to each other, that you then have to go and clear.

-Chap