1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hands free phone operation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jsporter, Jul 20, 2007.

1. jsporter

jsporter New Member

I have two issues with my 2007 prius. The first is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to enter phone numbers so they come up as speed dial selections.

The other is, I've pinned a voice tag to a phone number, but when I hit the button, it tells me to say the number. How do I get it to prompt me for a voice tag instead?

I love the car, but the software issues in the bluetooth hands free are driving me nuts! It was a big selling point for me since I have a long commute and end up on the phone a lot.

-Jeff

2. mgipe

mgipe New Member

Enter the voice command, "Dial by name." It will then prompt for the name.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimba_wolfdog @ Jul 20 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]482264[/snapback]</div>
    First enter the number in the phone book of the Prius. From the speed dial setup screen, add any phone book entries as desired.

Tom

4. TSaxman28

TSaxman28 Wandering Minstrel

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimba_wolfdog @ Jul 20 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]482264[/snapback]</div>
    If the car is not moving then you're prompted to say the number. If you're moving and press the talk button you'll be prompted to say a command, then you would say "dial by name." Remember to wait for the system to finish what it's saying before pressing the next button.

Craig

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The number must first be registered in your phonebook. If you've done that.........
    All you have to do it bring up the telephone screen on the MFD, select "settings" button, then "speed dial", then "register" on the speed dial screen and register the number(s). To access a speed dial, bring up the Telelphone screen, select "speed dial" button, select you desired number.
    Remember, you can bring up the telephone screen on the MFD a couple ways, by pushing the "off hook" button on your steering wheel, or "info", then "telephone" on your MFD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tsaxman28 @ Jul 20 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]482599[/snapback]</div>
    The Voice Command response has nothing to with whether you are moving or not. It depends on what screen your MFD is on to begin with. On any screen, other than the phone screen, a push of the voice command button doesn't prompt for anything specific. Just simply a command. In this case say "dial by name" and it takes you to the phone book, where it then prompts for the name.
    Or you could say, "dial by number" it takes you to the dialing screen and prompts for a number.

On the other hand, if you begin from the telephone screen being displayed on your MFD, or having pushed the phone 'off hook' button on the steering wheel, then push the voice command button, you will be prompted to say a number. You can respond with a number, or say "dial by name" and go that route.

6. rickw919

rickw919 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 20 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]482630[/snapback]</div>
    When I'm on any other screen besides telephone screen, my voice command does not work. The microphone icon doesn't come up or it doesn't prompt for a command or beep. When I go to the telephone screen, it asks me for the phone number (while the car is NOT moving).

What am I missing here?

Rick

New 07 Prius

7. CIA_Guy

CIA_Guy Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rickw919 @ Jul 24 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]484217[/snapback]</div>

I've got exactly the same issue....also with a 2007! (That and I can't reliably transfer phonebook entries from my Razr...but that's another story.)

8. jtlmd

jtlmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think I have a related problem, but it is driving me crazy. I have a 2008 Prius with 10,000 miles so far and no problems EXCEPT my Bluetooth operation. I have successfully mated the cell phone to the car. The problem is, which I punch the "off hook" button on the steering wheel (or alternatively, when I punch the telephone icon on the info page....) I cannot get the dialing screen UNLESS I AM SITTING IN TRAFFIC. As soon as I start to roll, even 2 mph, the screen with the dialing numbers switches to a screen that says "speed dial". I have reconnected my cell phone to the system numerous times, read the manual several times, and cannot find a solution. To summarize: If I am driving down the highway I cannot dial a phone number. If I stop the system works perfectly.

What am I missing here ?

J.T. Lee
    Saint Paul MN

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when in the speed dial screen press the back arrow. that will take it to the dial pad. then you can dial by voice.

the thing that bugs me is when it says when ready please press the talk switch. it seems you have to wait a few seconds for the buttons on the screen to return from being greyed out before pressing the talk switch or off hook switch.. if you press the off hook switch too soon it kind of cancels the whole operation...

you can speed a lot of the phone book stuff by turning off voice guidance in the settings. then the prius will no longer say please say a command or whatever, and it will just beep at you to say something

10. CIA_Guy

CIA_Guy Junior Member

I've got the exact problem. It worked perfectly until one day, it changed. I have to hit the off-the-hook button before pressing the voice command button to get it to recognize the voice prompts. If I'm driving, it'll ask me to state a command and I can "dial by number" or "dial by name." However, if I'm stopped, it tells me to "state the number" and that's all it will do. (Yes, by hitting the off-the-hook button, the dialing menu shows up when stopped.) Until recently, all I had to do was push the the voice command button and it would say "state a command" regardless of whether I was moving or not....and I didn't have to hit the off-the-hook button first. This started several months ago.

The dealer kept the car for 3 1/2 weeks and concluded that my car "must never have had that feature since we tried another 2007 and it didn't work either." The mental giant they called at Toyota said that the user manual that came with the car must be wrong and that Priuses (Prii?) never had a voice command feature for "dial by name!"

Love to know if anyone figures something out..maybe there is a factory reset somewhere on the system.....