1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius head-on Accident

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

In aviation, there was a quarterly summary of accidents that I read to remind myself about how easily one can 'get behind the power curve' ... get into a bad-place and handle it poorly. It is a question of situational awareness. But I also realize not everyone shares my interest in using 'lessons learned' to prepare for the unexpected. So this is a recent, fatal Prius crash near Bakersfield CA.

Infant, 3 Others Killed In Head-On Crash - Bakersfield News Story - KERO Bakersfield

Two lane road, clear and dry. Someone pulls into your lane trying to pass a double-trailer truck. What do you do?

Use Google Maps for "Blackwells Corner, Kern, CA" and look at highway 46, Paso Robles Hwy, to the west of the 46 and 33.

Would the collision detection system reach out far enough to begin braking? Does it have the resolution to detect a car in your lane as a risk versus the tractor trailer in the adjacent lane?

Bob Wilson

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't tell enough people about the book "Traffic: How we Drive and What it Says About Us." The author explains how things like this happen. How the Cav driver can easily miscalculate distances, how it's difficult to know how fast an oncoming vehicle is traveling, that we misjudge the distance required to pass a vehicle traveling in the same direction as we are, etc.

It's a great book and even explains how the majority of collisions happen on sunny days with sober drivers. When I think back to how I used to drive I often think that I was just lucky.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A truely saddening and unfortunate accident. Any driver's worst
    nightmare.

Could happen to anyone, anywhere, in any vehicle. "Lessons learned"
    would be applicable to all drivers, in any car.

The article has a picture slide show. Photo coverage seems more
    than a little lopsided: :mad:
    * Four clear shots of masssive damage to the Prius.
    * Only two shots of the Cavalier, taken from the right rear quarter,
    that don't show the full extent of its damage on the front, driver's
    side.

So, it looks like the Prius got all smashed up, but the Cavalier was
    hardly damaged. The implication is that the Prius is an unsafe vehicle,
    which we know is not true.

I wonder if this grossly skewed depiction was intentional. :confused:

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm just wondering if I would have the sense to drive on the shoulder soon enough to avoid the collision.

Still, I wonder how the accident avoidance system might deal with the situation or if it could even be used on a two-lane road.

Bob Wilson

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry, but its important to me to know the details. which car were the passengers in? which car was the baby in? which car was the survivor in?

**edit**

checking out the pics. the Pri suffered much more front end damage. guessing the only survivor would have been the passenger in the Pri. and that the other 3 were in the other car. but only a guess. it looks like rear passengers in a Pri, especially if properly secured with 3 point harness setup for a car seat would have survived as the passenger zone in the back looks intact.

**edit** as i always do, i prerused other articles on the paper and found this

http://www.turnto23.com/north_county/21457959/detail.html

apparently all the feedback concerning the dangers of this stretch of road may have an extensive base. granted, human impatience and stupidity is still the biggest factor, but the biggest reason why our lives have become safer over time is not advances in medicine or knowledge. its making life "idiot-proof" either thru technology or laws....

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do we know? The picture angles are not at all equivalent. I can see no way of judging from just this set of slides.

7. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think medical knowledge has had a huge impact, but I grant you that it is advances in car technology that are saving so many lives on the road. I understand one of the main reason why the UK has such a low fatality rate vs the rest of Europe (and a quick check on Google reveals better than even the US where there were 1.6 fatalities per 10,000 vehicles in 2007 vs the UK with 0.9) is because there is such stringent testing of older vehicles that it quickly becomes uneconomic to repair them, ensuring that there is a constant demand for newer, safer vehicles. Japan, which I understand uses punitive taxation to encourage car turnover, has a fatality rate of 0.8 per 10,000 vehicles.

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/papers/fatals.html

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is our problem. every day i see cars that should not be on the road. our inspection system to continuously license older vehicles in many cases, simply does not exist. imagine my joy at the C4C program only to hear about its major limitations. i was hoping this would be the chance to take all unsafe, inefficient, older vehicles off the road.

fuzzy; i agree, the pics do not tell the whole story so i do not "know" anything, hence the first line of my post. obviously there were 5 people involved. 2 in one car, 3 in another. now, the real assumptions come in. 3 have spanish surnames, the other does not. look at the age ranges, its not a real stretch to imagine the scenario here.

so what would you think?? an 80 YO would be in enough hurry to try to pass a slow moving truck?? so have to think it was probably him and his wife out for a drive in the Pri. they did not avoid the collision probably due to his failing eyesight and slower reactions.

so his wife was in the back seat?? or probably the passenger. its easy to see why he did not survive as there is major penetration thru the windshield on his side. its doubtful that anyone in the rear seat on the drivers side would have survived either.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another report indicated the Chevy had the younger couple and baby and was trying to pass the double-trailer truck. That suggests the older couple were in the Prius. However, I can't tell who was driving.

Second fatal wreck on Highway 46 claims three lives - Bakersfield.com

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/65828322.html

[​IMG]
    This is what I mean by taking the shoulder. There is no barrier so I'm thinking the Prius might have taken the shoulder and avoided the accident. Looking at the area, I would expect this to be a highway with higher speeds.

A video report indicated that road is scheduled for widening into a 4-lane and the accident occurred on the first segment that was to be done. We used to have a road from Scottsboro to Bridgeport TN that was 2-lane, no shoulder and 10-15 ft. drainage ditches on both sides. I was always nervous on that stretch. Now it is divided, four lane ... I'm only nervous when my lead-footed wife drives.

Bob Wilson

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At this point, I do not know how far up the side of the semi the Cav was. There are multiple options:
    It was just popping out to pass
    It was almost passed
    It was half way up

It's so sad that we have to even talk about things like this.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for the info. waaay off on my assumptions. its sad this happened. the additional pics seem to show a wide flat shoulder with plenty of room to maneuver

1 person likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Daily I check Google news for "Prius accident." When I find one, I then use the area and search for "news." This usually provides enough sources to get a pretty good idea of what happened. Then I use Google Map to go to the accident site and use the Google images to look around. In some cases, I'll use Google Earth to get altitudes and terrain information.

It is not an exact science but it is close enough to get an idea ... a feel for what happened. It sure has changed my perspective when I realize I'm seeing something close to what the drivers and passengers saw just before the accident. I'm not ghoulish and take no joy in this but if it ever leads to some of us avoiding their fate ...

The one thing I hate most about "Bell the Hybrid" is it has led me to seeing things I would rather have never seen. I'm paraphrasing this answer to an enemy on the battlefield:
    I don't hate you but I hate the thing I have become because of you. (source unknown)
    Bob Wilson

13. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in a very similar situation many years ago and I was in the Prius driver's position. I took the shoulder and was on it when the other car and the truck were side by side going the other way. Even though there was plenty of room it still seemed tight because the whole situation was out of the norm. In my case the other driver could have easily panicked and swerved either into the truck or into the shoulder where I was, causing a similar type of accident as this one being discussed. Guess what I'm saying is that it's possible the Prius driver tried to get to the shoulder, but everything still went very very bad.

Let's all be careful out there.
    Jeff

14. jrflip

jrflip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What in the world does having your car inspected have to do with pulling out to improperly pass a truck?

15. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is another 2 lane highway in northern California known to be blood alley, Hwy 12. One time when I drove through there, I was surprised that the drivers on both direction including big rigs will drive partially on the shoulder to leave enough space in the center line for passing.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have also had to make this choice on the long, boring roads of Arizona. This guy coming at me could see but chose to pass a vehicle even though I was clearly visible. Thankfully it was one of the wider roads but it still meant that the truck he was passing and my vehicle had to go to the edges of our sides in order to have him pass in the middle without hitting either of us.
    It would seem like the Prius driver (and to an extent the driver of the Cav) did not have the time to respond. I would take my chances on the ditch before a head-on any day!

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    take a look at the pics...there is no real ditch. its a smooth transition to flat unobstructed fields.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I grew up in Fairfield and spent plenty of time on Hwy 12 through Rio Vista to Napa and it is indeed dangerous. Too many people wanting to pass but I think it has such a bad reputation that I rarely see people actually passing others except in passing lanes. Then again you always see flower arrangements on the side of the road. :(

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what about "fog alley" on umm...81? not sure, the one that goes into Sacramento? i lived in San Jose, used to hear about accidents there about once a week, usually minor but almost always 20+ cars involved

20. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Well, the photographer did try to make it look like the Prius came off worse. But look at the A-pilar of the Prius in the side shot with all the stuff sheared off the driver's side of the car. It has a straight line to it, and the passenger compartment looks intact. It looks like the Cavalier hit with about a 30 degree angle to the line of the Prius, coming in from the passenger side of the Prius. It was probably this sideways impact that resulted in the seriousness of the injuries.

Nothing is going to save you at 100 mph closing speed but avoiding the accident.

The Cavalier passenger side fender looks good, but of course that is not the side of the impact. The roof of the Cavalier is seperated from the car, and it appears it collapsed during the impact - see the big kink in the passenger side rear of the roof. The seperation might be the action of emergency personel, but the roof did collapse during the impact, unlike the Prius.