1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius heater doesn't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by glenhenshaw, Jun 21, 2008.

1. glenhenshaw

glenhenshaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I'm having an odd problem with my heater -- it only blows warm air when I gun the engine. Soon after I let off the accelerator, the air gets cold again. Everything else with the climate control works just fine. The AC works great. I've checked the climate control heater fuses, and they appear to be fine. I can't really afford to take the car into the shop right now, so I was hoping to figure out what this was and fix it on my own if possible. Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine coolant circuit has an electric pump whose purpose is to circulate engine coolant through the heater core when the engine is off. Apparently that pump is not working; perhaps the pump or the associated relay is having a problem.

The pump is located behind the inverter; I suggest you access techinfo.toyota.com to obtain location and info on how to replace.

Paul Schenck likes this.