1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius help in Montana?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Deetle, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Deetle

Deetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know a place that can work on a Gen 2 in or near Kalispell MT other than the Toyota Dealer? I have a 2005 with 185k that has died in Kalispell MT. My Daughter was driving it on a trip, dash light show came on, and car stopped. I had it towed to the Toyota dealer who told me it needs a new transmission, and could need an inverter but that can not be confirmed until the transmission is replaced. $5,000 ish for the trans, $4,500 ish for the inverter if needed. I am in Minneapolis, and don't have a way to work on the car or arrange and explore from here (19 hour drive)

I am not having the Toyota dealer do anything other than I will be getting the specific codes they pulled to help guide the next steps. If it needs a transmission, I would go for a used one...same on the inverter. I need a shop that can do the work proper...any suggestions? Once i know the codes, discussion goes to confirmation of diagnosis before throwing parts at the car.

Other than the above mentioned issue, it is a really nice car that has not had any issues...other than replacing the hybrid batter 10k miles ago. Body and interior are in great condition, and i had no issue with my daughter taking it on a 3k mile + trip. They got 43.4 MPG going 80 mph with the AC on going out there

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're taking a good course of action. Codes and subcodes first. I think the dealer is an idiot. If their troubleshooting consistes of 'replace the transmission' and then we'll see if the inverter needs to be replaced also, all they want to do is throw big dollar items at it until you puke and capitulate to buy a new car. If all else fails, disconnect the 12v battery for a minute and see if the code comes back.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get a copy of the freeze frame data from techstream as a PDF and post it

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Did you consider shipping the car back to your home base?

Finding an independent shop may be diffiuclt and I agree with the above posts.
    The dealer may not be qualified.
    One of the perials of road trips; your at the mercy of the local repair shops.

Good luck.

5. Deetle

Deetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    quotes to ship back to home start at $850 and you are talking to a guy in New York that you can't understand...told them i wanted to pay about $300 for someone to complete a load and they told me i was cheap and hung up...almost funny.

thanks for the comments. Also posted the car for sale on Craigslist in the area and have a nibble....not holding my breath that this works but nothing to lose either