1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Help - New to the Life of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SaabaTheHutt, Aug 23, 2020.

1. SaabaTheHutt

SaabaTheHutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I had no idea this forum existed and needed something exactly like this just to get some more help on my issue. Thank you in advance!

I've wanted a Toyota Prius for such a long time now, so I bought one from Carvana. I Purchased a 2015 Prius Two. Had about 72000 miles on it and had it since 3/2020. Also this is the second car I have ever purchased so I am still learning a ton.

I would like to admit that when I did receive the car, it definitely took a second for myself to get used to, but after a week or so, I can without a doubt say that I am a Prius fan for life. The issue I think I am having is understanding how the hybrid battery (or traction battery according to other websites) works exactly. I was a bit concerned when I would leave my car idle and see the battery almost depleted but then I learned that is pretty normal. What I feel like I have noticed recently was that after a trip my hybird battery would be almost full, after parking and turning off the car for a day, I would turn on my car the next day and begin driving to find out my battery has depleted. I thought that maybe I left a light on or something but I was wrong. I can't tell if I am doing anything wrong or if there is something wrong with the battery. I just feel like I haven't noticed it deplete this much. I recently took the car to a Toyota dealership for a software update recall and they did a quick inspection and I was told nothing major was wrong with the car, if anything the car is in pretty excellent condition. Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

I also am looking for "Prius etiquette", the do's and don'ts of a Prius. I just really want to make this car last. If anyone could please help continue the conversation that would be super amazing! Thank you again, also feel free to ask me to elaborate if need be.

(also added a pic of the beauty)

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

an interior light would kill your 12v battery. the hybrid battery is completely disconnected when off.

if you are noticing more than a drop of a bar or two after the car has been off for the night, that might be some cause for concern, but the battery icon is not that accurate, and it is not necessarily a reason to panic.

you can get an app like dr. prius, to tell you the % of battery charge and individual module voltages.
    or a dealer can test them for you for around a hundred bucks.

do you know the history of the car? you can input the vin at toyota.com/owners and see all dealer history, recalls and etc.
    the biggest thing with these cars is the egr circuit. you want to check it and clean it. 2015 is the best year of gen 3, but you still want to make sure it is clean. you can find threads here with details,or see @NutzAboutBolts youtube channel.
    it's a big job and all labor. around a grand at a dealer, but if you can diy, no cost at all, no parts involved.

all the best!(y)

SaabaTheHutt and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with bisco. I have the same car. I just bought and installed my 12v battery at 5 years as a precaution. The EV battery should not be a concern right now.

SaabaTheHutt likes this.